LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Gas in oil...is oil consumed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 01:03 PM

Gas in oil...is oil consumed?

I just checked my oil level the other day and it was low. For S&G's I drained the oil to check it out. The oil smelled like gas and was really dark for only having 700 miles on it. My valvetrain is noisy ( I have comp r's NSA RR ) but the passenger side is slightly noisier than the drivers side. Tunercat shows that the car is running almost perfect in regards to being rich or lean ( 123 to 130 range on both sides while crusing ) At idle the cam causes the car to load up and the LTFT's almost max out at 160. Could this loading be the cause for the gas in my oil? And also when gas does get in the oil, does it cause it to burn more oil? The car was low 1.5 quarts after 700 miles of semi hard driving. I'm going to take the pass side valve covers off and check the adjustment of the roller rockers that seem to be a bit noisier, but also I'm going to check the other things like the fuel pressure regulator vaccume line and leaky injectors ( 30# svo's ). And one more question, would the fuel pressure vaccume line that is on the passengers side and the noisier valvetrain have anything in common?? Sorry for being so winded and thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:42 PM

Re: Gas in oil...is oil consumed?

Sounds like it's time for some rings. That would be why it's burning so much oil and also why gas is getting in your oil. Do a compression test to be sure though.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:56 PM

I did a compression test just after the cam install just to make sure everything was fine. All cyl were reading the same, I think around 135 or so??? What you said does make sense though. I still want to check everything before jumping to conclusions on the rings. I have a Dynotune appointment next week too!!! Man... I really hope this is a leaky injector. I'll have to get home so I can check that today. One more thing, when I was driving it the other day I did notice a bit of black smoke comming out of the exhaust at the exact moment when I stomped on the gas???
Old 04-30-2005, 04:56 PM

The rich idle is the reason you are smelling gas in the oil. If you arent burning oil then maybe you have a really bad intake leak from the cam install.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:15 PM

Turbo_Z,

Yea I hope that you are right about the gas smell from the rich idle. I think that I can lock my LTFT's at idle with tunercat and fix that. About the leak...Do you mean oil leaking out of the intake manifold? I wish that was the case if that's what you mean. But there is no oil on the back side of the motor or on the garage floor. It's bad when you're hoping for an intake leak! I'm going to check things out here tomorrow with the Fuel system and the valve adjustment. Thanks for the reply.