LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

German Castrol 0w30

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:36 PM

German Castrol 0w30

Called my local Autozone today and they said they have Castrol 0w30 that's made in Germany. The package says Castrol Syntec European Blend.

Does anyone know if this is still the same Syntec oil that's supposed to be good in LT1's. I'm not sure the previous packaging said "European Blend" on it.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:50 PM

You need to go take a look and see if it says Made In Germany on the back.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Yep it is made in Germany. I just don't remember it saying "European blend" on the old packaging. Hopefully its the same.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Oil Schmoil: just decide whether you want to go with synthetic, synthetic blend, or dyno oil Then decide which numbers depending on the driving climate, miles on engine, oil pressure, etc.

Then just buy a good brand, along with a good filter, and change it when needed.

Talking about oil on this site or in a bar, is basically like talking about which brand of water to drink----eveyone has there own opinions and when you get down to the nitty gritty, water is water. JMHO
Old 02-08-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
Oil Schmoil: just decide whether you want to go with synthetic, synthetic blend, or dyno oil Then decide which numbers depending on the driving climate, miles on engine, oil pressure, etc.

Then just buy a good brand, along with a good filter, and change it when needed.

Talking about oil on this site or in a bar, is basically like talking about which brand of water to drink----eveyone has there own opinions and when you get down to the nitty gritty, water is water. JMHO
... +1
Old 02-08-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
Oil Schmoil:
I don't think he was asking "how to choose what oil to use", nor was he asking anyone else's opinion on what their oil preference is; nor if anyone should have a preference.

He asked a specific question that is very relevant.

German Castrol 0w30 has a history of amazing UOA's. It is basically an over-achiever in its category, especially in regards to price.

TO ORIGINAL QUESTION: If the bottle still says "Made in Germany" and not "Made in USA" it's the good stuff. I heard they changed the look of the bottle, and the oil is actually now Gold in color, not the original Greenish tint. From what I've read, its still coming back in Used Oil Analysis like the original.

You're lucky...none of my local autostores have it.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle33
I don't think he was asking "how to choose what oil to use", nor was he asking anyone else's opinion on what their oil preference is; nor if anyone should have a preference.

He asked a specific question that is very relevant.

German Castrol 0w30 has a history of amazing UOA's. It is basically an over-achiever in its category, especially in regards to price.

TO ORIGINAL QUESTION: If the bottle still says "Made in Germany" and not "Made in USA" it's the good stuff. I heard they changed the look of the bottle, and the oil is actually now Gold in color, not the original Greenish tint. From what I've read, its still coming back in Used Oil Analysis like the original.

You're lucky...none of my local autostores have it.

Nice, thanks alot for your help. I picked some up today.

PS if you want some and don't mind paying the shipping, I can always send you some. I don't know if it would be worth it though.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Nice, thanks alot for your help. I picked some up today.

PS if you want some and don't mind paying the shipping, I can always send you some. I don't know if it would be worth it though.
I remember it saying European Formula on the front. Like others said it has to say made in Germany. Every now and then my local Autozone has it.

Last edited by 91RSLT1; 02-09-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 AM

Just bought some yesterday from my local autozone. The bottles I got say european formula in red letters with a yellow background. You sure it doesnt say european formula and not blend? Either way I got the newer bottles because it has the stamp on the bottom M07263= 263rd day of 2007.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
As long as it says Made In Germany on the back of the bottle, you should be good to go. It is now Gold in color, whereas it used to be Green. I think it's a true Group IV, fully synthetic oil. It's supposed to be great. I ran it in my Grand Cherokee, and the UOA was pretty good. I'm trying Mobil 1 0W-40 right now. I've got some German Castrol to put in my Z28 whenever the time comes.

If you're planning to change your oil every 3K miles, or six months, most any quality oil would probably be fine. I think the GC begins to shine if you're running extended drain intervals. Personally, I like running the best oil I can find regardless of how often I plan to change it. Go check out bobistheoilguy.com. Those guys are really into oil.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanks guys, I went by to pick some up yesterday.

Apparently they're running a promotion where you get 6 quarts for Castrol Syntec and a mobil 1 filter for 26 bucks!

Too bad they don't have a long style mobil 1 filter. I ended up picking up the k&n filter too, since that's what I always run.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:07 PM

I called The Gap. Guess jeans are now on sale!
Old 02-09-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I called The Gap. Guess jeans are now on sale!
I thought maybe other people would like to know that Autozone is running a promotion on the oil that lots of people around here use.

The post wasn't intended for your cheap *** that probably runs .89 cent special oil and a fram filter to save a couple bucks
Old 02-09-2008, 02:42 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
If that sale also applies to the 0W-30 GC, that would be a pretty good deal for just the oil alone. Throw in a Mobil 1 filter and it's a great deal. I'm gonna have to check it out, and I don't even need any oil. But I will someday.

And Guess jeans make my *** look fat.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
If that sale also applies to the 0W-30 GC, that would be a pretty good deal for just the oil alone. Throw in a Mobil 1 filter and it's a great deal. I'm gonna have to check it out, and I don't even need any oil. But I will someday.

And Guess jeans make my *** look fat.
Yup any Castrol Syntec and a mobil 1 filter

Quick Reply: German Castrol 0w30