LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Getting a flowmaster put on my 396 LT1 tomorrow...bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by 19camaro71
so its basically a matter of what one's ear is drawn to, i guess. I had a buddy with a 1994 Z28 with long tubes, offroad 3' ypipe (no cat) and a flowmaster 3" catback with dual outlets. I absolutely love the sound it makes. I have another friend with a 1971 camaro with a 327 small block race engine running a 2 and 1/2 inch flowmaster exhaust system, i can say that the 94 is a little louder than the 71, but it doesn't get raspy or rattle around. I have to think about if I really want to spend the money to get a GMMG cat back.
no doubt ppl on here believe GMMG is the best.....i can post clips as soon as i get mine in.....if u want a deep sound..little rasp and a nice loud WOT sound go with the GMMG....whats there to think about.....
anyways i like flowmaster on some of the older muscle cars..but its not for teh 4th gens....IMHO....
Borla is ok....its up there in price like the GMMG too but i guess its a model or somthing
SLP LM should stick to the LS1 engines (believe me i know)
Corsa sounds liek crap to me ....
SLP 2OTL on my SS when it had it was awesome...def a great sound but i wanted louder.....
as for everything else..i can realy tell u too much about them

def GMMG is at the top...but is up there in price to....so my second choice would be to go back to teh 2OTL
Old 04-30-2004, 07:26 PM

I got the 40 series with "delta" flow installed today. It's 3" in and dual 2.5's out. I was pretty suprised that during start and idle, it was actually a little more mellow than the SLP muffler that was on there. For normal driving, it is actually a nicer tone. I can't describe it. The SLP muffler sounded great, but there is something about the Flowmaster that I like better. As far as WOT, well I really don't know. It's been raining all day and, well you guys should know...reallly can't do much with it. I did wind it up a couple of times in 2nd at maybe 50-60% throttle and it did sound nice. I can't tell yet.

There definitely isn't any raspyness to it at all. It does burble when at anything under about 2500 revs and off the throttle, with an occasional pop, but that's what the SLP muffler did also.

By the way, We've got AS&M headers on this More Performance 396 LT1.

Hopefully tomorrow will dry out so I can open it up and see what it sounds/feels like.

So far so good!
Steve
Old 04-30-2004, 07:32 PM

On my Hooker LT car, mostly stock anything else the car ran the same with the Flowmaster American Thunder connected as it did thru a cutout. People who say "Flowmaster blows" are just repeating drivel they heard on the 'net. However for a car like your's I'd go with a straight thru muffler like the Ultraflow. At that HP any chambered muffler will cost you HP.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:49 PM
Retired

I had a 4" Flowmaster on my 396 and put a 4" Dynomax Ultraflow on...

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Any kind of chambered muffler (90% of the mufflers on the market) is going to rob you of horsepower. Straight up.

Get one with a straight-through design.

The Ultraflow is awesome.

Mike
Old 04-30-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by baron4406
People who say "Flowmaster blows" are just repeating drivel they heard on the 'net.
Not exactly. I owned the Flowmaster CB. It resonated like a beotch and sounded crappy. Rusted after a few years too. Very lame.

Love the Magnaflow CB. Stainless steel, nice deep sound, and straight through design with no baffle BS.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:37 PM

what is the part number for the SLP 20TL system?
Old 04-30-2004, 08:42 PM

If you go to Magnaflow and listend to the sound clip of the camaro...pay attention to when it shifts...I hate that sound. Is that what the Dynomax is going to sound like?

Thanks,
Steve

Also, how does the sound compare? This car can't be too loud.

Anyone had any experience with the 30 series mufflers?

Last edited by 97 Camaro SS; 04-30-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by 97 Camaro SS
I got the 40 series with "delta" flow installed today. It's 3" in and dual 2.5's out. I was pretty suprised that during start and idle, it was actually a little more mellow than the SLP muffler that was on there. For normal driving, it is actually a nicer tone. I can't describe it. The SLP muffler sounded great, but there is something about the Flowmaster that I like better. As far as WOT, well I really don't know. It's been raining all day and, well you guys should know...reallly can't do much with it. I did wind it up a couple of times in 2nd at maybe 50-60% throttle and it did sound nice. I can't tell yet.

There definitely isn't any raspyness to it at all. It does burble when at anything under about 2500 revs and off the throttle, with an occasional pop, but that's what the SLP muffler did also.

By the way, We've got AS&M headers on this More Performance 396 LT1.

Hopefully tomorrow will dry out so I can open it up and see what it sounds/feels like.

So far so good!
Steve
Well, as long you are happy with, that is all that matters right. Hopefully you'll enjoy it for a long time. Good luck.

Mike
Old 05-01-2004, 04:55 PM

How would the sound of this muffler compare to the 30 series?

I might have them swap it out this week. I'm not convinced this muffler is flowing enough.

Steve
Old 05-01-2004, 05:19 PM

what is the part number for the SLP 20TL system?
http://slponline.com/view_product.asp?PARTNUMBER=31011
Old 05-03-2004, 08:53 PM

SLP states that that system (20TL) fits 95 96 and 97, so i guess it won't fit my 93?
Old 05-03-2004, 09:50 PM

SLP states that that system (20TL) fits 95 96 and 97, so i guess it won't fit my 93?
http://slponline.com/view_product.asp?PARTNUMBER=31010 there ya go
Old 05-04-2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by 96LT14u2Nv
i have never seen dyno proof either, but i went from flowmaster to hooker and gained half a MPH at the track.
I gained 3mph by just going on a different day. Track conditions could be the difference for you. Gaining .5mph is nothing, meaning its so small the outside factor can have a bigger affect (track prep, shift points changing, humidity).
Old 05-04-2004, 10:37 PM

Like i said, I've had the single chamber flowmasters on there for over a year, and they're awesome. There are a couple problems though when its cold. When they're cold they rattle like a bitch, but not til about 4,000, and who in the hell in their right mind is going to rev it 4000 when the engine is cold? (I bet your wondering how i found out... Yeah, i was an idiot, but only once. I learned my lesson.) They do tend to pop on deceleration, but its VERY rare, and only when its a rapid decel for me, like going up a hill in 2nd and having to slow down for some dumb *** truck going 10mph...

But, i'm getting headers installed on thursday or friday, i'll let you know they are as soon as i get them. my gut tells me they're going to rattle out because of the added pressure, but i'll guess i'll find out.

As for comparison, the hideous noise that comes from a Dynomax muffler sucks, my friend has it on his Z and i can't stand that crap. Not nearly as much low tone as the Flowmaster, just more noise, especially in the car. It is louder though, but not the good louder.

Last edited by x94_Camaro_Z28x; 05-04-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:43 AM

I love the sound of my car with Flow Master and when it goes I will replace with the same.

Quick Reply: Getting a flowmaster put on my 396 LT1 tomorrow...bad idea?