LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Getting richer...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 04:00 PM

Getting richer...

And not the way I'd like to. Today I was just doing some light acceleration while sitting in the driveway and found that it's real shaky right around 1000 1200 rpm's. Then I hit the accelerator hard a couple times and white smoke came pouring around the car. No blue or anything, no oil smell. Whats going on here. The O2's are brand new. The cat is gutted. Could it be the TPS or anything like that. Can it be leaned up a bit with the programming (I have MADz28's programming). I remember Injuneer saying something about a GUTTED cat can cause this a little. I have also noticed a little loss of throttle response as well. Any suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Re: Getting richer...

White smoke is generally associated with coolant.. .e.g. blown head gasket.

Might want to see if the smoke has a sort of "sweet" smell.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:10 PM

If it was truely white smoke, that usually indicates coolant leak into the cylinders. My friend had a very small coolant leak due to a head gasket failure that allowed the car to still run.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:14 PM

Hmmm. So the odor would be sweet if there was coolant leaking due to a cracked head gasket? It smelled real gassy just a while ago. I mean removing the heads will definatley be goog enough reason to do mods I had planned on waiting for but if I don't HAVE to I won't be upset. I'll check that and the coolant level asap though. Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:12 PM

Ok, not a sweet smell but it smells like unburnt fuel real bad. Not only that, but I had my wife rev it up while I stood behind it and it was just spitting carbon and a watery substance out of the pipes really bad. Someone please give me a clue, this is driving me up the wall. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Something that fools the PCM into thinking the engine is running lean ("false" lean) will cause the PCM to richen up the mixture excessively. Causes would include:

-exhaust leaks before the O2 sensors
-misfires
-faulty O2 sensors, wiring harness, extensions, etc.

Or, you may have a true rich condition that is so bad that even when pulling the maximum possible amount of fuel using the long term fuel corrections (15%) it still can't control the rich condition. Some of the many things that would cause this:

-excessive fuel pressure
-MAF sensor reading too high
-MAP sensor reading too high
Old 08-19-2004, 04:01 PM

If the spray coming from the pipes was caused by it being very lean wouldn't the spray actually be gas or at least leave me hands smelling like gas really bad? Cause now that I think about it didn't seem to be gas.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Myxtreme1
If the spray coming from the pipes was caused by it being very lean wouldn't the spray actually be gas or at least leave me hands smelling like gas really bad? Cause now that I think about it didn't seem to be gas.
The point I was trying to describe was a "FALSE" lean condition. The engine isn't really lean, but the PCM via the O2 sensors sees excess air in the exhaust from misfires, or exhaust leaks, and THINKS the engine it running lean. So it adds extra fuel that the engine doesn't need and it runs way rich. Now you've got one cylinder misfiring and dumping unburned fuel, and the other three running pig rich, and pouring out even more raw fuel.

You really need to clarify what is coming out of the tailpipes. You describe it as white smoke, and that is NOT what you are going to see if its running rich (black smoke) or burning oil (blue smoke). Then you say it smells like "unburnt fuel", but now "it didn't seem to be gas." You need to understand that if you can't really describe it very accurately, its not likely that someone sitting in front of a computer screen 1,000 miles away is going to have the slightest idea what it is.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You really need to clarify what is coming out of the tailpipes. You describe it as white smoke, and that is NOT what you are going to see if its running rich (black smoke) or burning oil (blue smoke). Then you say it smells like "unburnt fuel", but now "it didn't seem to be gas." You need to understand that if you can't really describe it very accurately, its not likely that someone sitting in front of a computer screen 1,000 miles away is going to have the slightest idea what it is.
Amen.

We run into this a whole lot around here.

Why don't you put your hands behind the tail pipe and have someone rev the engine. Then see if your hands smell like gas.

If it's a cylinder head, you may see bubbles in your radiator (gasses in the cooling system from compression). Or you can always run the engine to temp, shut it off and let it cool, then pull the plugs and turn it over to see if water is being pushed out the spark plug holes. Heck... there's lots of ways to check.... leak down works too.

-Mindgame