LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Getting tired of problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM

Unhappy Getting tired of problems please help

Ive got lot of money in my car just like everyone else on here does and Im having nothing but problems with mine and its really starting to upset me. It seems like the car is lacking alot of power Idk what could cause it, when I fire it up and I try to rev it up a little its like the rpms wont climb much you gotta give it alot of gas, its slow as hell and shouldnt be like this. Problems Im having is my fans kicking on *** soon as it starts, it smells like its running rich, and I have an exhaust leak from my collectors, could any of this cause the problem of it lacking power? Any idea about how to solve any of my problems? I tryed to have it scanned and they didnt have the right scanner at advanced auto.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by joshmullins8
Ive got lot of money in my car just like everyone else on here does and Im having nothing but problems with mine and its really starting to upset me. It seems like the car is lacking alot of power Idk what could cause it, when I fire it up and I try to rev it up a little its like the rpms wont climb much you gotta give it alot of gas, its slow as hell and shouldnt be like this. Problems Im having is my fans kicking on *** soon as it starts, it smells like its running rich, and I have an exhaust leak from my collectors, could any of this cause the problem of it lacking power? Any idea about how to solve any of my problems? I tryed to have it scanned and they didnt have the right scanner at advanced auto.
Well with the running rich and rpm issues I would think this is ignition related. Also, you state that the fans come on immediately... sounds fishy to me. Check your plug wires to see if they are burnt and your plugs to see if they are fouled. Could really be that simple. The exhaust leak doesn't sound like it is too big of an issue. It would really have to be bad to cause the symptoms you are describing. I'd check the plugs and wires. Go from there.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:29 AM

You really need to see if there are any trouble codes. Could be a bad cat, but check the plug wires as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 AM

pretty sure a pcm code set will turn the fans on, you need to get that code checked
Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Might want to consider buying your own OBD-I scanner. You can find used Auto Xray scanners for less than $100.... small price to pay if it helps you sort out your problems.

Or, consider free scanning software, like FreeScan or TTS DataMaster. Simply the cost of a cable.

If you aren't willing to use the scanner as the starting point, you might want to consider selling it, and starting over. Probably not what you wanted to hear.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:45 PM

Give us some more info . I see the list of mods . Did it run good after the mods were done or was that the start of the problems. Exhaust leaks can cause the o2 senors to read off. I just fixed a 95 for a guy . The car would not pull below 2500rpm . And was running rich . The cam timing was retard by one tooth.

Last edited by ayers1967; 12-28-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 PM

+1 on TTS datamaster. Fix your exhaust leaks (and any other mechanical issues you know about) then Scan the sucker and look for problem.

Mike
Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Might want to consider buying your own OBD-I scanner.
YEP.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:39 AM

The first step is critical and necessary...repair known problems

Originally Posted by joshmullins8
Problems Im having is my fans kicking on *** soon as it starts, it smells like its running rich, and I have an exhaust leak from my collectors, could any of this cause the problem of it lacking power?
Originally Posted by moparman
You really need to see if there are any trouble codes.
Originally Posted by dangalla
pretty sure a pcm code set will turn the fans on, you need to get that code checked
Might want to consider buying your own OBD-I scanner.

If you aren't willing to use the scanner as the starting point, you might want to consider selling it, and starting over.
I am another voice saying it needs scanned. However let me inform you of a little more detail. Scanners for your car are almost non existent. Your OBDI system can't be scanned by AZ. They are only able to do OBDII and beyond.

Second thing I want to say is any time you have a problem/issue like an exhaust leak. No matter how unlikely it seems to be related to another problem. Repair it before you do anything else. You never know what is actually related to the problem at hand. In this case it can be the source of your problem.

Last, as was mentioned above. We need far more information than you have provided in order to help you.

So first repair the exhaust leak. Then replace at least the plugs. Since we don't know what your knowledge level is, let's just say that if you haven't done anything about plugs on this car. You're in for a shock if you take it to a shop for just plugs.

Then give us more information like history. Including when the problem occurred, what was done before or after the problem showed up, etc.......

A foot note after reading your signature.

If you can't handle this problem. You had better give up the 355 build. If you think you have problems now, you have the potential for much bigger problems.

Last edited by Guest47904; 12-29-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: late edition
Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 AM

Might want to consider buying your own OBD-I scanner. You can find used Auto Xray scanners for less than $100.... small price to pay if it helps you sort out your problems.

Or, consider free scanning software, like FreeScan or TTS DataMaster. Simply the cost of a cable.

If you aren't willing to use the scanner as the starting point, you might want to consider selling it, and starting over. Probably not what you wanted to hear.
Does he need a scanner or can he jumper the test pins?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 AM

Only 93's could do that

Originally Posted by ayers1967
Does he need a scanner or can he jumper the test pins?
Only 93's could do that.