the gm 847 cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

this thing emissions friendly?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Heatmaker
Small flowers die along the side of the road as you drive by, if that's what you mean
Old 02-26-2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Spinner
Small flowers die along the side of the road as you drive by, if that's what you mean
LMAO, isn't that the truth....
Old 02-26-2004, 10:03 PM

God, himself, hates this cam!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

...well...is it possible to pass emissions with this cam?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:34 AM

never start your car with this cam in a closed in area.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:52 AM

The minute you pull up to the rollers to get E-checked, the techs are going to burst out in laughter.

Now this is true, there have been times when I've been sitting at a drivethrough window too long and the person in the car behind me had to put his window up. And my car idles right where it should, BLMs 128. Its very unlikely that you'll pass emmisions with this cam.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:07 AM

...well...is it possible to pass emissions with this cam?
Yes you can, in TX at least, may cost you a Ben Franklin once a year without cats, but you can pass with cats and no SES light.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Grease
The minute you pull up to the rollers to get E-checked, the techs are going to burst out in laughter.

Now this is true, there have been times when I've been sitting at a drivethrough window too long and the person in the car behind me had to put his window up. And my car idles right where it should, BLMs 128. Its very unlikely that you'll pass emmisions with this cam.
ROFL...no kidding man, nothing like sitting in line at Jack in the Crack and ppl are yelling to hear the speaker/mic to place their order then rolling up their windows to breathe a few minutes later.... ...you can't idle in one spot for too long
Old 02-27-2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by LPE Z convt
And who are you? Screw equations my car made 363rwhp on a mustang dyno ... Screw dynojet#s, I don't even run that cam anymore so no 847 #s on a dynojet for me... I will have new Mustang dyno #s in the spring.....
who am i? i am nobody
i wasnt arguing one over the other! merely saying dont use equations to get dynojet #'s stick it on a dynojet to get dynojet #'s

anyway good luck with the new cam!
Old 02-27-2004, 12:14 PM

My buddies car, ported lt4s, ported lt4 intake, 383, longtubes (FLP with cats, no egr or AIR) and the 847 passed easily here in ohio on the street tune (ie nothing changed). We have a roller test where they stuff the thingy up your tailpipes.

He tried to pass without cats, no chance.

Im going to have to get mine checked in September. Will switch to cats on mine too, but not sure how it will do with 33 less cubes.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:19 PM

Just FYI, I am looking into the GM 847 cam myself and GM Parts Direct has it for $208.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by simple
yeah the GMPP rockers would be fine with it, just not the springs that come in that kit
i would think the CM612 springs would work with it also
The GMPP rockers are rated to .575" lift max, so I wouldn't recommend you using them with the GM 847 cam. If you absolutely have to use them, you will have to grind them a bit. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:55 AM

I've almost completed my 847 install. I went with the Crane 99873-16 springs, Comp Retainers, Seats and 10* locks. I also went to hardened pushrods, (couldn't afford the one-piece chrome moly version, would have got them if I could have), new Comp R lifters and I already have Comp Pro Magnum rockers.

The Crane springs fit fine, (real blast to put in btw), but you aren't going to get any more than about a 1.750 installed height unless you have your heads machined for a larger diameter spring. That puts you in the area of 165lbs seat and 407 open pressure. Probably not condusive to long term valve train wear.

How does the car run. Hopefully I'll let you know in a couple of days. I've got a Spohn TA going in as well, also did the true roller, electric water pump install and a few other upgrade items like poly motor and transmission mounts. I'm gonna need another tune and I'll be contacting my man Alvin at PCMForless just as soon as I can send him a datamaster file with this cam.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by 93ZM6Tally
I've almost completed my 847 install. I went with the Crane 99873-16 springs, Comp Retainers, Seats and 10* locks. I also went to hardened pushrods, (couldn't afford the one-piece chrome moly version, would have got them if I could have), new Comp R lifters and I already have Comp Pro Magnum rockers.

The Crane springs fit fine, (real blast to put in btw), but you aren't going to get any more than about a 1.750 installed height unless you have your heads machined for a larger diameter spring. That puts you in the area of 165lbs seat and 407 open pressure. Probably not condusive to long term valve train wear.

How does the car run. Hopefully I'll let you know in a couple of days. I've got a Spohn TA going in as well, also did the true roller, electric water pump install and a few other upgrade items like poly motor and transmission mounts. I'm gonna need another tune and I'll be contacting my man Alvin at PCMForless just as soon as I can send him a datamaster file with this cam.
anxious to hear your results, really pleased with mine. Had I had the extra cash to do a custom grind it would have been similar to the 847 maybe with a little lower rpm at peak but longterm I want the higher peak rpm for the stroker/Felpro FAST/Delteq or Bailey LTCC conversion anyway. This cam is sweet prior doing a solid roller IMO. .

Quick Reply: the gm 847 cam