LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

GM Opti-spark Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 06:05 PM

GM Opti-spark Alternative

Not sure if anyone has seen it but MSD has one now. Cheaper to MSD @ Summit
Old 04-23-2005, 06:19 PM

Talking Re: GM Opti-spark Alternative

Only a couple dozen people have seen it and posted about it. It's a cap and rotor only.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:40 PM

Re: GM Opti-spark Alternative

Yeah, normally when you buy replacement opti it doesn't come with the cap and rotor. It only comes with the internals. A guy I know though has a part number for AutoZone where they screwed up and it gives you both the opti and the cap and rotor for about the same price. Pretty cool, but I might just go ahead and buy the GM one anyway. How come the vented one is $100 LESS than the non vented one??? It doesn't even make sence to get the non vented one. Even after the cost of the vacuum harness for the vented one, it's still cheaper then stickin with the frigged up non vented one.... WTF?!?!?!
Old 04-23-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by BLinindoll
Yeah, normally when you buy replacement opti it doesn't come with the cap and rotor. It only comes with the internals. A guy I know though has a part number for AutoZone where they screwed up and it gives you both the opti and the cap and rotor for about the same price. Pretty cool, but I might just go ahead and buy the GM one anyway. How come the vented one is $100 LESS than the non vented one??? It doesn't even make sence to get the non vented one. Even after the cost of the vacuum harness for the vented one, it's still cheaper then stickin with the frigged up non vented one.... WTF?!?!?!
If you have the old non-vented opti, you can't change to the vented opti without some serious engine modifications.
It's a big step.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:14 PM

Hey, I just got the whole distributor from Summit on line for $289. When I opned the box, it was the whole distributor...INCLUDING the cap and rotor.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Administrator

$289 is the Summit price for the FULL vented Opti. You could have bought it from Dal Slabaugh or Jason Cromer for quite a bit less. Check out Shoebox's Tech Pages for "Where to buy GM parts". I think Dal is around $229 and Jason at $239 for the same part #.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
Old 04-24-2005, 06:35 AM

Yeah, too bad I have the non vented one.... $389 in summit.... hopefully it's not the cause of my problem.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:58 AM

Yeah, too bad I have the non vented one.... $389 in summit.... hopefully it's not the cause of my problem.
You can probably beat that price by checking with Dal or Jason.