LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

gm parts direct buyers

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Brent94Z

High shipping charges from companies do nothing but TICK ME OFF. I have ordered from them before but purposely avoid order from them when I can because of their shipping charges. It doesn't matter to me that the "end" price is comparable to Dal or the other GM discount guys because it just irks me that they try to TRICK people by charging crazy shipping prices.
It really doesn't matter to me if they said the HC kit I bought was $5 plus $500 shipping, as long as the total still comes to $505. I totally agree that they aren't the best run business though, I always thought the no phone number thing was bizarre and their part number "search" is pretty lousy unless you happen to have the part number. Bottom line for me though is their "total" price is still way better than what I would get reamed for at my local dealer so I still use them.

Last edited by GREGG 97Z; 03-11-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:53 PM

Ripoff!

Shipping costs are a fixed amount, depending on the carrier and time.

Adding to the Shipping costs is the same as adding to the price of the item.

One should always compare prices, but should also take into consideration the reputation of the vendor.

I believe, however, that there are numerous sources for us, and just because of the name i.e. GM Parts Direct, one should not overlook the probability that the same part is available for less and that there are other reliable vendors out there.JMHO
Old 03-11-2004, 01:31 PM

I think I'm done doing business with them. I ordered a HOTcam kit, timing chain, head gaskets and a few other odds and ends before, and somehow they failed to tell me that some of it was on backorder. So I was stuck with my car apart, and no parts here to put it back together. Plus their shipping and handling is a complete and total scam. I priced an opti from them, and as soon as I factored in S&H I could have bought the opti from summit, got it shipped and it would have almost been a wash. I ended up ordering the opti from Jason Cromer, got a cheaper price than GMpartsdirect, and only about $7 shipping. Plus the part was in the mail THAT DAY.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Brent94Z
I believe you are correct, and, I'll add, that is absolutely rediculous!!!!

High shipping charges from companies do nothing but TICK ME OFF. I have ordered from them before but purposely avoid order from them when I can because of their shipping charges. It doesn't matter to me that the "end" price is comparable to Dal or the other GM discount guys because it just irks me that they try to TRICK people by charging crazy shipping prices.

If their total end prices are on par with the other GM guys, why not just raise the listed price and charge a reasonable shipping fee? It would sure seem to me that this would help their business because I think a lot of others are like me and it just boils my blood when companies attempt to "trick" me.

I hope they read this at GM Parts Direct. I'm sure a few guys on a car board aren't going to change the way they do business but, I know they don't often get my business because of what I view as shifty practices.

And, while I'm on a rant... what's with the no phone crap? You don't HAVE to have a toll free number to have a damn phone Give me a toll number to call when I have a question and I'll call it when I need to. If their search function for parts was a little better it wouldn't be a big deal but from what I've found, their search engine sucks and I've always had trouble finding what I need. The only way to find the part you need is to have the part number... what's up with that??? Rant done
Wow, we hit a nerve with ol' Brent!

I agree with ya', bud. It just casts suspicion when you go to compare prices. They do say that they make their money on shipping and handling-but why do it that way? They also say to keep their prices low, they don't have phone support. I really think it is to keep their profits high.

Of course, they say 'it's a lot cheaper than a dealer' and it is, but we have other good choices.

Last edited by shoebox; 03-11-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:51 PM

I've order from GMPartsDirect a few times. The search engine sucks. The total price including shipping is good. Took more than a week to get the parts every time so I believe they are very slow.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:31 PM

how long is it taking ya'll to get a tracking number?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:46 PM

i got a track # in like 3 buisness days, i dont know how th customer support is, nor did i spend allot of money with them,

ive ordered a lt4km, and 2 o2 sensors from them. the bottom line dollar was cheaper than buying it from a gm dealer.

the km was like $36 shipped and the gm dealership wanted 55

u get some odd packaging box combos tho, lots of shreded newspaper, big box, small part burried in it
Old 03-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by GREGG 97Z
It really doesn't matter to me if they said the HC kit I bought was $5 plus $500 shipping, as long as the total still comes to $505. I totally agree that they aren't the best run business though, I always thought the no phone number thing was bizarre and their part number "search" is pretty lousy unless you happen to have the part number. Bottom line for me though is their "total" price is still way better than what I would get reamed for at my local dealer so I still use them.
Yeah, I know Really, it is the bottom line that counts but it just goes against me to support somebody when it really irks me how they do business. This is especially true since the savings (if any) over the other GM discount guys isn't much at all.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by shoebox
Wow, we hit a nerve with ol' Brent!
I had to really try to get that mad. LOL! I'm a pretty mellow dude, really

I agree with ya', bud. It just casts suspicion when you go to compare prices. They do say that they make their money on shipping and handling-but why do it that way?
That's what I'm screaming! If they are going to tack on a percentage and call it shipping, why not just go ahead and tack the percentage onto the price of the part and then charge for shipping like everybody else and their brother does???

They also say to keep their prices low, they don't have phone support. I really think it is to keep their profits high.
Since typically the American public is CHEAP (myself included) the number of calls coming into a toll line would be calls with legitimate questions. I think if they provided this type of service their business would pick up and easily overcome the extra cost seen from the phone. Heck, you don't have to have 10 lines. Have one and if it is busy, I'll call back!

Of course, they say 'it's a lot cheaper than a dealer' and it is, but we have other good choices.
Yes we do and when possible, I'll use the other choices.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:37 PM

I've had no problems with GMPartsDirect or Jason Cromer, but I think Jason will normally get you a lower price. GMPartsDirect shipping and handling charges are a joke. If you order two say window switches from them and the shipping is $5.00 you will get charged $10.00 shipping even though they both come in the same box. I emailed them and they told me that the way they make money is through that shipping/handling charge. They pretty much told me if I didn't like the price to check the price at my dealer, they are still slightly lower, but not by much. I won't use them again unless for some reason Jason can't get the part.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:30 PM

Jason ends up being cheaper shipped than GM Parts Direct.

I will not order anything from GM Parts direct after the snotty email they sent to me after i asked why cant they include an LT4 Knock Module in the same box with a 1LE Elbow. They were trying to get me 15-20 bucks shipping or something ridiculous.

They sent me a rude email back, and the bottom line was that "they need to make a profit somewhere, and shipping is it"
Old 03-11-2004, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by CamaroGuy22

They sent me a rude email back, and the bottom line was that "they need to make a profit somewhere, and shipping is it"

Well, they don't lie about it. Ya' gotta give 'em that.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:40 PM

Well, they don't lie about it. Ya' gotta give 'em that.
Well thats finding the positive in the situation Rob .
Old 03-12-2004, 02:24 AM

Well if someone is a lawyer here.... it would be interesting to do a bit of research on GM Parts Direct.

I paid shipping on two 02's, one LT4 KM, One rear hatch cylinder but the thing is... I was charged shipping for each part independently... however they all arrived in one box.

So it looks like mail fraud to me. Weather is legal or not... the fact that each part paid its own separate shipping cost and then they were all packed into just one box with "One" shipping charge from the Post Office makes me wish I could file a lawsuit right there... Ohh spend 5 years in court to recover 10 or 15 dollars... I bet that would **** them off real bad... (If I only had the money to spend all that time in court.... lol)

So anyway.. the fact is that their price was so much cheaper than my local GM dealer makes me shut my mouth up from now on... I just wanted to rant a bit too.

Marvin
Old 03-12-2004, 04:21 AM

I'd guess it isn't the slightest bit illegal, as it is clearly labeled shipping and handling.

Quick Reply: gm parts direct buyers