LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Going EGR Delete - Need some info/help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 01:54 PM

Question Going EGR Delete - Need some info/help...

Hey guys,

I would like to order hooker long tubes smog/EGR delete if possible, and am curious, how to block off the EGR valve on the LT1, and will this throw trouble codes, etc. And if anything else is needed or things I need to be aware of before doing this.

It seems I recall reading well over a year ago that people w/bolt on only cars ran much better w/no EGR in place, or maybe I'm hallucinating, who knows. Anyways, thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:01 PM

Re: Going EGR Delete - Need some info/help...

you can buy an "lt4 egr plate" which is basically a peice of steel made to fit over the egr port. i know thunder racing has them for 7 bucks. you will also need to get someone to program the computer without egr. or, since you have obd1 cars you could do it yourself with a cable and tunercat (thats what i did)
Old 08-23-2004, 02:05 PM

Yeah you'll need 2 plates, one for the valve and one for the tube from the intake to the exh manifold.

I made my own by tracing the gaskets onto some 1/8 inch steel plate and cutting ot out and drilling some holes. then apply the gasket and bolt it down.

You can get away for a little while by leaving the EGR valve hooked up but it will throw a code saying its not working right eventually.(some have not even had it throw the code)
But the best way is to just tune it out yourself with tunercat, lt1 edit etc, or have someone do it for you.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:45 PM

You need a two plate kit. If you only use one plate, it will leave the port open for dirt/grease to enter.

Either cut some out yourself or pick up ones like these www.mycamaroz28.homestead.com .

You will have a code set on your computer though it is NOT noticable unless you scan your computer...of course you know the code will be there and what is is from so just ignore it. It will have NO effect on drivability to leave the code in there.

Most importantly, you will not see your MIL lamp light up on your dash.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 08-23-2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the help & info guys, appreciate it.

See, that's why I love this forum.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:53 PM

I made my block off plates. I cut took off the EGR valve and cut the valve off and took the mounting base for it and traced a metal gasket out of house flashing. I then cut it out and mounted it on the intake and used the mount plate for the valve AKA (A big hunk of cast iron) to hold my gasket in place. I then took the EGR tube and cut the tube and fished it out of the plate that mounts to the intake. It looks like this. (o O o) and welded up the middle hole. So it looked like (o o) then used some silicone and slapped her back on the intake. It cost me nothing to do this and has lasted for years.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:14 PM

Ok im trying to figure out why youd need a second plate if he gets a hooker header with no emissions hookups??? I know you have to plug the intake, but doesnt the other end go strait to the header???
Old 08-23-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by hawk232
you can buy an "lt4 egr plate" which is basically a peice of steel made to fit over the egr port. i know thunder racing has them for 7 bucks. you will also need to get someone to program the computer without egr. or, since you have obd1 cars you could do it yourself with a cable and tunercat (thats what i did)

never heard of a lt4 block off. sound like a load crap. somebody trying ot sell something. i have lt8 block off plate its twice as good as the lt4 and eight times better than the lt1. ill take a 1000 shipped.

ive heard it all now. but i bet i read something better tomorow.... or was it a lt12, well i cant remember, i post back when it comes to me.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 97Z-M6
never heard of a lt4 block off. sound like a load crap. somebody trying ot sell something. i have lt8 block off plate its twice as good as the lt4 and eight times better than the lt1. ill take a 1000 shipped.

ive heard it all now. but i bet i read something better tomorow.... or was it a lt12, well i cant remember, i post back when it comes to me.

i remember now its a lt8 block off plate, but i do have some lt12 stuff if you need any. just pm me.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:04 AM

The LT4 vettes did not have the EGR therefore they blocked the passages off with PLATES from the factory, you can buy them at a GM dealer, or you can cut out your own like I did.

The 2 holes are as follows, one where the EGR tube ran FROM the intake to the header (no header , just intake) and the other plate it where the EGR valve is bolted up.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:34 AM

This has to be the most worthless post I've seen in a while.

Yes there are LT4 block off plates.

Originally Posted by http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_EGR.html
If you do wish or need to remove it, both the pipe and EGR valve ports can be blocked off with plates. GM p/n 10054880 (known as the LT4 block-off plate) can be used to block off the ports where the EGR valve is removed. If you want to block the EGR pipe entry, you will have to get that from another source (there are several on the internet or you can make it yourself).
Old 08-24-2004, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bawls
This has to be the most worthless post I've seen in a while.

Yes there are LT4 block off plates.

the point was that everyone throughs the word lt4 in the sentece and other people go om god its got to be good. it a peice of metal to block a hole. i doubt the lt4 part helps block anything. its a peice metal for god sake.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:40 PM

the point was that everyone throughs the word lt4 in the sentece and other people go om god its got to be good. it a peice of metal to block a hole. i doubt the lt4 part helps block anything. its a peice metal for god sake.
word.

I'll stick to sheet metal from lowes.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:17 AM

I built my own, not everyone can. We see people on here asking how to change plugs and when someone gives them a part # so that they can do it easily they get flamed.

Maybe we should require all F-body owners to be expert machinists.

They are called LT4 EGR blockoff plates because they came from the factory on LT4 cars because there was no EGR on them.