LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Going from LT's to Mid/Shorties

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 01:15 AM

97WS6SCharged-
Couldn't you just have a y pipe built with a set of high flow cats?
DITTO

thats what i have been wondering about for a long time myself??
Old 12-04-2003, 01:20 AM

technically you can still fail cali emissions because the cats are moved from the factory location, also its not carb certified....
Old 12-04-2003, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by 95Blackhawk
Personally, I think people put too much emphasis on the LT's anyway. All the HP they produce is up top anyhow and that is really only usable at the drag strip (oh god here comes the flames). For someone like me who will autocross, the shorties worked out fine.

Hey you can see by my sig that I have the stock cam and making HP to 5900 RPM...just about perfect for me. I don't need it any farther up than that.

Ben
When are people going to stop believing this misinformation about longtube headers?

Longtube headers will fatten up the low end torque more than shorties. Shorties are more of a top end header...
Old 12-04-2003, 07:46 AM

I have experience with Shorties and LTs, I currently have the Hooker LTs on the car but have not seen any real improvements over the shorties I was running. This debate will never die but if you were looking for shorties and needed to run thru emmissions I would look at the Edelbrocks. I have seen these headers go really fast.

I have thought about swapping back to the shorties but dont want to hassle with more exhaust work....

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2003, 07:56 AM

Another vote here for SLP shorties. I noticed a VERY good difference after the install. Great set of headers.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:46 AM

if your interested I will be having a set of used SLP headers and a Y-pipe with a high flow cat on it for sale in a week or so. Not exactely sure when but whenever my motor gets pulled I can take them off at that time b/c I'm going to LT's at that time. The slp's are stainless, but darkened due to heat cycling. The Ypipe I think might be custom and I can shoot pics and email them if your interested. I'd let the combo go for $450 plus whatever shipping will be.

lmk
John
Old 12-04-2003, 10:03 AM

I hate California.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by TheHeadFL
When are people going to stop believing this misinformation about longtube headers?

Longtube headers will fatten up the low end torque more than shorties. Shorties are more of a top end header...
I'm with you, at some point when you turn enough RPMs then midlength's will actually become beneficial. I don't think most people actually spin that high and the longtubes are the best for most, but its still unsettling when people talk about the high rpm performance of Longtubes. IMO a couple ft lbs in the mid rpms is a small trade off for ground clearance. It's unfortuneate that there aren't true equal length midlengths.

I'm would love to see some direct dyno comparisons though holding everything (including y pipe size) constant but varying the header primary length .

-brent

Last edited by 94formulabz; 12-04-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:25 PM

I've been trying to explain this aswell but I guess noone wants to hear it
Old 12-04-2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by bunker
I've been trying to explain this aswell but I guess noone wants to hear it
They'd rather believe wives tales I've found most of the times. Or old backwoods mechanic lore.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:56 PM

Like the time I welded 8 trombones to my exh ports to have an adjustable length primary tube?
Old 12-04-2003, 04:05 PM

When people test things and 'vary' a variable like primary length it doesn't literly mean that the component is adjustable. I think most people understood that i meant a comparison of two different sets of headers (thats how you vary primary length) on the same motor with the same catback(held constant).

I wholeheartedly agree with this post by Fred. Notice that this particular example is on a high rpm motor.
Originally posted by Injuneer
For the single cat models.... definitely among the best non-LT headers out there. I push almost 800HP through them. I bought them used from a buddy who was putting over 850HP through them. He dyno'd them at that level, then installed Hooker LT's, and lost HP. Only when he changed the cam and pushed the engine over 925HP did the LT's make more power.

The advantage of the LT's appears to be a very broad torque curve.... and that is the theoretical advantage of a "long tube"... more torque down low due to "tuning" the scavenging in the runners to lower rpm. A shorter tube moves the torque curve up, and that's why on a very high HP engine, that is only operated at 5K rpm and up, for example, mid- or short-tube headers may show an advantage under some condition. But the LT's seem to be killer for the street.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by WS Sick
I hate California.
Me too!!! We can start a militia!

Anyway, as I said, nobody will fab up a Y pipe, and if any law enforcement personnel see that under my car, bam!!! $2500-$10,000 outta my pocket.

I"m looking at the Edelbrocks and MAC's at the moment, seem to fit my budget of $300-$400 and I can get them coated locally.

I figure with a 396 turning 6500rpm, moving a lot of air, I guess there's a point where it doesn't really matter a whole lot, I'm not in a championship so it's not gonna ruin my season or anything. The minimum I will see on a road course is about 3500rpm in some turns in 2nd gear.

I really appreciate your input on all of this people, thanks for your time, and I'm still debating between MAC's and their associated problems but major benefits of a longer tube design over the Edelbrocks.

Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:11 PM

For those who said it already....

Arizona Speed and Marine headers. Nuff said.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
For those who said it already....

Arizona Speed and Marine headers. Nuff said.
What's the benefit of AS&M headers over SLP's or MAC's? Not doubting you, just wondering.

Dan

Quick Reply: Going from LT's to Mid/Shorties