LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Going to the track for the first time...Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 10:42 AM

Going to the track for the first time...Any suggestions?

Well like the subject says it's gonna be the first time at the track that i'm actually gonna race. I know i should take out the spare and the jack and all the other crap that i don't need to save some weight. I was told to lower the tire pressure to around 17- 24 psi on street tires. I was going to lower them to around 22. I'm gonna try to slip the clutch out and not go wot to early so i get out of the whole without spinning to much. But i have heard a few people say that from 1st to 2nd they have gotten all sideways on street tires. Should i not go all the way to 55-5800 rpm in 1st? Do you think iceing the intake is good? What do you do just stick a bag of ice on top of the intake? I don't wanna get water on my opti. Any Suggestions would be highly apreciated since i'm going this wednesday.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:59 AM

If you've never been to a track before, specifically this one, I'd suggest learning where everything is (ie turn offs, staging lights, etc) and listen to the PA annoucements. I'd take all the extra's out before you get there unless you're going with someone who will watch em while your running b/c i've had tires get jacked before.

I'd invest in some DRs if you have the extra $$ Nitto 555r's or MT ET Streets are both great tires. I'm an auto so can't help you with the launch much but I would suggest making a couple runs at 75-80% just to learn the track and get to know your car. Then run it full out and bust some ***
Old 10-07-2003, 11:12 AM

Follow the previous guy's advice...good stuff.

If you've never been to the track before (never watched either), take about 15 minutes watching people run before you give it a shot. That'll give you an idea of how everything works.

And definately take it easy the first couple of runs...it takes a few tries to figure out how to launch and, more importantly, where to let off. Hauling along at 100 MPH after your run and then realizing you're almost out of track is not fun. After the first couple runs, you'll be more comfortable and you can start pushing harder.

Your launch is going to be the most difficult part...start with low RPM launches and work your way up. Overdoing it the first time just puts you and the other guy in danger if you lose control and veer off course. After a few tries you'll get the hang of it.

If you have any questions, ask the other guys hanging around...generally the track atmosphere is friendly and everyone is more than willing to help you out. Have a good time!