LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

good aftermarket ecu

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 AM

good aftermarket ecu

i have a 93 lt1 and have had issues with the computer for some time now. i am looking to go with a fast XFI™ standalone EFI system. any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 AM

You should also consider Electromotive. What is wrong with the stock one? The ECU's very seldom go bad and you can find a used one a lot cheaper than a whole new system.

Rich
Old 04-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by rskrause
You should also consider Electromotive. What is wrong with the stock one? The ECU's very seldom go bad and you can find a used one a HELL OF A LOT cheaper than a whole new system.

Rich
Edited.

FAST systems are $4,000+. What are you running that makes you think you need an aftermarket PCM? The stock one will deliver on 99% of builds when set up properly.

I suggest you do some gremlin hunting before throwing in the towel.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Edited.

FAST systems are $4,000+. What are you running that makes you think you need an aftermarket PCM? The stock one will deliver on 99% of builds when set up properly.

I suggest you do some gremlin hunting before throwing in the towel.
Good edit! You could buy a '93 Z for what a good aftermarket system would cost! I have a stock ECU in mine, FWIW.

Rich
Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 PM

ive got a 2800$ quote from a dino shop in oly. yah ive been trying to figure out the problem. running so rich now im getting gas in the oil. prom has went for the second time and im thinking thats the issue. find out when one i found comes. heres what i have.
96 4 bolt main block, 96 vented opti, elliotts le2 heads with the patriot gold springs, 223/230 .565/.565 112 cam, elliotts ported intake, pro magnum comp cam roller rockers 1.6 7/16, 58mm tb, 30# red top injectors, moroso cai, kooks 1 3/4 x3 headers jethot coated, kooks catted y pipe jethot coated, corsa cat back, msd plug wires and coil. had issues with the trans i am using so had to send it back. planing on 373 10 bolt or 9 in havnt make up my mind on that. that all i can think of. lol.

Last edited by craby; 04-04-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Yeah, there's no reason the stock PCM can handle that.

But if you want to spend $3,000, go right ahead.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:38 PM

im trying to make it work but its wearing me down. tested every sensor i can find and scanning doesnt tell me much with this ecu. im using a innova. is there a better one for this?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
You should also consider Electromotive. What is wrong with the stock one? The ECU's very seldom go bad and you can find a used one a lot cheaper than a whole new system.

Rich
i have invested in a few ecu s and proms. thing is they are not that easy to find. the dbzl prom is rare and the 16159271 ecu was only made for two yrs so there are not to many of those around. i have four and two are toast one from the car and one i got that way. sooo ive got about a grand into trying to figure this out and still goin. i just keep thinking at this rate it would be cheaper and easier to go with something that is a little better supported and will better tell me whats goin on inside the system. im learning more than i would like to about the computers in these. lol. to old to be learnin so much. lol takes me longer now and what i do find i keep forgetting.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator

If you want to spend money, look at the EFIConnection 24X LS1 PCM conversion. This gets rid of the Opti, and uses the much more capable LS1 PCM.

http://www.eficonnection.com/24x/default.htm

....or, my approach - but I only did it because I wanted to run two stages of dry nitrous, and needed an ECU that could handle that with simple programming:

But if you're not looking at a power adder, there's nothing wrong with the stocker, or the EFIConnection setup... and even the EFIConnection is going to cost a bundle before you get done with it.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:39 PM

thanks man. ill look into it a bit more. did do a quick jump to the link and looks like about 2k to do it and i get rid of the opti. yahooooo. the setup from fast uses alot of the existing system. ill give em a call and see what they can do for me when i can save a little more. if the different prom i got coming and the rebuilt ecu i have dont do it i may have to do it a little sooner than id like. thanks again the computer stuff is something im dumb on. slowly sinking in.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 AM

found out the efi system will not work with my tranny. so thats out the window. still trying to figure out the dag proplem. had the ecu and memcal checked and there supposed to be good. still getting a prom error code and it runs like crap at low rpm way rich and wont shift right.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:30 PM

I know a Guy putting out well over 1000 HP with a supercharger, and STILL using a GM ecm AND an optispark. So don't get trapped into thinking that an aftermarket Ecu is a necessity.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 PM

i have another ecu and a couple memcals, is there a good place to have them checked and repaired if necessary?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 PM

ok how about this route. i have been told that i can use a 94-95 wiring harness and ecu on my 93 and have the trany codes deleted. i cant seem to search for the right thing to find anything on it here. im thinking the sensors are all the same and in pretty much the same places except the 93 doesnt have the maf. is that correct? is this a simple switch?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:03 PM

I am not sure about the switch from '93 to '95, as I have never done it, but I do know that you are correct about the '93 not having a MAF sensor because its speed density. The guy i was talking about earlier has a 96 but he put in a 95 OBD I ecm. He said the OBDI's are a bit more forgiving to tune.
You might get a little better response to your question in the computer diagnostic forum on this site tho.

Quick Reply: good aftermarket ecu