LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Good Stroker Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Good Stroker Kit

I need a couple ideas for stroker kits for my LT1, and what else would have to be done machine work wise. I know nothing about strokers but really wanna learn so I can build one,my motor is a 355 with LT4 Hot Cam Kit, and .030 over flat top pistons. Could I use that cam and pistons, would I need new rods, crank,harmonic balancer? Any input would be great thankl you.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Re: Good Stroker Kit

Basically what is different about a stroker engine from a regular (re)build - You'll need to choose a crank and pistons depending on the amount of stroke, your block needs to be clearanced at the bottom of the cylinders and maybe at the oil pan rails, and your rod to cam clearance should be checked. Your cam should be upgraded to work with the stroke and additional cubic inches. Your tune will need to be updated. Consider having your heads worked for the added flow & upgrade the springs at least & check the rest. The rest is normal rebuild stuff - balancing, bore & hone, decking, resurfacing, bearings, align bore/hone mains? , etc. depending on your bank account and plans for the engine. Just be realistic on what you want the engine to do, and that will tell you how strong you have to build it (& how much money to blow).
Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM

Your location is baltimore maryland still? If so, your about an hour and a half from Karl Ellwein. Good local resource. I've met with him twice. He's building my 383.
-Mike
Old 10-12-2012, 01:14 PM

Hate to pull up an old thread, but hey, that's what happens when you use the search tool right?

Anyway, I've been looking at the different stroker kits, I can get one for a SBC for $400 or so, an LT1 stroker kit costs $800. Why the big difference? As far as I know, & the reason I'm asking you, the only difference is between a one piece & a 2 piece rear seal. Hardly worth $400 I would think.

Are there any other differences between a SBC & LT1 stroker kit?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM

Anyone else hate the term "stroker kit?" Phew. Anyway...

If you are serious about building a stroker (or even a general rebuild) I would strongly consider consulting with a reputable engine builder (like Karl Ellwein) who has experience in building LT1s. 100% of the cheap stroker kits you find use a cast Eagle crank which is hands down the WORST crankshaft you could possibly buy, not to mention other low-budget parts. Talk with the builder about what parts HE recommends, not what you might find in a catalog on sale. Then let HIM select and purchase the parts. Sure there's going to be some mark-up but you want to put the ball in HIS court in case something goes wrong or there's an issue on fitment or whatever.

And even before you do all of that have you decided on a HP or ET goal? Reason I ask is because unfortunately most new LT1 owners get hung up on the bottom end because of "cool" terms like "stroker," "h-beam," or anything with the word "forged" in front of it. Rarely is consideration given to the valvetrain - where the power is made. Put a larger displacement bottom end on stock heads/cam, what happens? Little to NO power gain with little torque to be had. Put a more aggressive heads/cam package on a stock displacement engine and you'll blow that stock headed stroker away all day long. Now put that same heads/cam package on that larger displacement bottom end - you get the picture.

Point is DON'T CONSIDER THE BOTTOM END until you've decided on a HP/ET goal. Once you've settled on that, THE HEADS/CAM need consideration next. The bottom end should in reality be the LAST thing on your list to be touched. Many times depending on the goals of the engine in question don't warrant the added $3000+ cost of rebuilding the bottom end and can simply be had with a cam swap.

Do some more homework on the subject before you make a mistake of falling victim to a "stroker kit."
Old 10-13-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Hate to pull up an old thread, but hey, that's what happens when you use the search tool right?

Anyway, I've been looking at the different stroker kits, I can get one for a SBC for $400 or so, an LT1 stroker kit costs $800. Why the big difference? As far as I know, & the reason I'm asking you, the only difference is between a one piece & a 2 piece rear seal. Hardly worth $400 I would think.

Are there any other differences between a SBC & LT1 stroker kit?
i would not trust a $800 "kit" let alone a $400 one.

you need to figure out what your goal are. then chose parts that will get you there the first time. its never cheaper to do things right the second time.