LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

good upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 07:13 PM

good upgrades...

have the car and mods in my sig. i dont have a lot of money right now, but i want some fairly simple/cheap upgrades that will really help my car out. i plan on LCA's, relocation brackets and lowering springs. as for the motor i plan on some 1.6 rockers. im thinking the NOS/Holley LT1 kit. i want to reach the best 1/4 times possible without spending a TON of money. by a TON i mean a few grand. i realize with what i have here it is a little over a grand, but i was wondering what everyone thought of this, and if there is anything else/ something different i should look into.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:59 PM

Re: good upgrades...

Here is what i'd recomend for around a grand. I wouldn't do nitrous cause to do a nitrous kit properly w/ the safter hardware, fuel hardware and spark hardware your looking at a grand or so. If your doing the work yourself you can get quire a big increase in power w/ a grand.

Rear End Gears $190 + Install kit $100 3.73 or 4.10 =$290
Jet-Hot Headers $490
Cat Back Exhaust $350 or you could get an x-pipe and bullet muflers for around $200
Headers and exhaust $850

there is close to a grand and youd notice ALOT of sotp and power increases.

Josh
Old 04-02-2005, 08:55 PM

headers and roller rockers
Old 04-02-2005, 10:47 PM

i was definitley thinking about some 3.73s, and also these headers...

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...?v=1&pid=15661

they look pretty good. also should i try to get rockers, those headers, 3.73s and the MSD 6A box. i heard its a realy good upgrade especialy with the blaster coil that i already have.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:27 PM

Headers catback and a little cam.. then you'll be over 400rwhp and for less than a grand if you play your cards right.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by rpm4lalo
headers and roller rockers
Don't listen to him! he just blew his motor (shh dont tell him I told you that) hah, jk. I havent gotten around to doing headers yet, but I did 1.6 rockers and could notice a good difference.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by 69z-28
i was definitley thinking about some 3.73s, and also these headers...

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...?v=1&pid=15661

they look pretty good. also should i try to get rockers, those headers, 3.73s and the MSD 6A box. i heard its a realy good upgrade especialy with the blaster coil that i already have.
That wouldn't be a bad deal if you weren't planning on makning more power down the road. Those heares are midlength 1-5/8" primaries, not the best when it comes to making power with other mods. Honestly you need to think about where you want to be when all is said and done. That way you can build towards your goal and not have to buy parts twice. In my opinion, if you don't have to mess with emissions bull sh*t, get long tubes and an X pipe system. That will cost roughly $600 if you go with uncoated headers and a summit x pipe kit(which is actually a good system). Rockers would be good, but you should really consider swaping springs whwn you do it. I did 1.6 comp magnums and dindn't swap springs, but if you go with the full roller pro mags, I would really suggest doing that. Gears are going to help and would be a good upgrade, but I would do them later (just my opinion). I'd rather get the motor to have the power I want and then worry about getting it to the ground. That's just me though, do whatever you think is worth it and definately think about what you are wanting down the road and go from there.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:57 AM

I agree i would go with the long tube headers over the mac mid-lengths.

Josh
Old 04-03-2005, 09:15 AM

i have emmisions here but i can still do LT's and a pipe to feed both of them into my stock cat cant I? i think im gonna take it there soon to get tested and hopefully pass so then the next two years i can do w/e i want. how hard is it to install LT's on these cars and which brand should i look into, also what should i do about getting them to the cat? doesnt hooker make a pipe or for the LT's or something? if i did do the LT's and 1.6 rockers with LT4 springs, about how much of an increase would there be? and when would i need to worry about puking the rear end/cluth and what not. the car has 117k on it and im not sure if the clutch has been changed or is original or what, but it DOES grab good and the guy who had it wasnt afraid to beat on the car a little. i have the stock exhaust all the way from the cat back(how big is that pipe that goes from the cat to the rear) and then i just have a pipe welded in place of the muffle and the pipe from the cat goes into that, and i love the way it sounds so im not gonna change that. would it be good to look into some LT's, the pipe to connect to the cat, rockers and springs and the MSD 6A box? im really quite new to the LT1s but i wanna keep learning about them so thats why i have a lot of questions. thanks again!