LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Guideplates Wore Out, Now Valve Tip Mushroomer (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:27 AM

Guideplates Wore Out, Now Valve Tip Mushroomer (Pics)

So last year I noticed some of the rockers were off center over the valve. The guide plates wore out. I replaced them but didn't notice the damage at the time. I am checking everything over to track down a tick and I think I found it. The guideplates that wore the worst messed up one two rockers and the valves they push. here are pictures. so I am hoping there is somehting I can do without getting them replaced. ekkk. Can the comp cams 1.6 full roller 7/16 stud 1.6 pro mag roller rocker tips be replaced? (that is the least of my worries, i am worried about the valves)

Name:  IMAG0106.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0107.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0181.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0183.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  71.6 KB
Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 AM

Re: Guideplates Wore Out, Now Valve Tip Mushroomer (Pics)

What brand guideplates did you use?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Let's move this to LT1 Based Engine Tech.............
Old 05-14-2011, 10:58 AM

ok, sorry I didn't post there in the first place.

The old guide plates that wore down came with the heads when I bought them used, not sure what they were. I replaced them with Trick Flow 23 Degree guide plates about 1500 miles ago (beginning of last year)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-30400623-8/

All the new guide plates I installed in 2010 look perfect still, I think the old ones were just low quality. I cant believe I missed this when I replaced the guide plates.. I guess its not the worst thing in the world if I needed to pull the heads at this point, im right there its just a few bolts and a new head gasket, I can get those two valves with the tips wore out replaced and take a look at all the others. But is there a way around it? do they make a cap or something? I have heard of guys taking a 4inch grinder to it while on the engine to make it flat. I know it cant me made perfect but im sure I can get it much better, it will throw off the geometry on that one tho. . thought? Thanks for your input
Old 05-14-2011, 11:38 AM

The GMPP ones are typically the ones with P stamped into them. I had a set that started to wear with only 1.6 rockers and bolt on's. I removed them and still have em in a bag in the garage. Isky Adjustables are the only what to get the valvetrain corret IMO.

-Dustin-
Old 05-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Exposed Member

Originally Posted by ENRKyle20
ok, sorry I didn't post there in the first place.

The old guide plates that wore down came with the heads when I bought them used, not sure what they were. I replaced them with Trick Flow 23 Degree guide plates about 1500 miles ago (beginning of last year)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-30400623-8/

All the new guide plates I installed in 2010 look perfect still, I think the old ones were just low quality. I cant believe I missed this when I replaced the guide plates.. I guess its not the worst thing in the world if I needed to pull the heads at this point, im right there its just a few bolts and a new head gasket, I can get those two valves with the tips wore out replaced and take a look at all the others. But is there a way around it? do they make a cap or something? I have heard of guys taking a 4inch grinder to it while on the engine to make it flat. I know it cant me made perfect but im sure I can get it much better, it will throw off the geometry on that one tho. . thought? Thanks for your input
Pull the heads and fix it right. No reason to spend time and effort on a ghetto-fix.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
The GMPP ones are typically the ones with P stamped into them. I had a set that started to wear with only 1.6 rockers and bolt on's. I removed them and still have em in a bag in the garage. Isky Adjustables are the only what to get the valvetrain corret IMO.

-Dustin-
Yea I tossed mine, they were way beyond gone. And that does ring a bell. I was told what was on there when I bought the heads and I believe it was GMPP, and they are stamped with a P.. so I will be staying away from them in the future. So far the trickflow are doing great and im going to stick with them. Im to cheap.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by cASe SenSiTive
Pull the heads and fix it right. No reason to spend time and effort on a ghetto-fix.

Yea I think the only PROPER/true fix is some replacement valves and rockers for those valves. But it only takes about 20 mins to get the intake manifold off to the point I am at now (plus $20 in gaskets, not to bad), and I already have damage to both rockers. I'm going to go for an experimental "ghetto" fix where I cheap out now and it ends up costing me more time and money later. lol. but I did a lot of thinking about this one and worst case scenario I will waste $20 (gaskets) and about an hour of time if I fix it this way and I end up having to pull it back apart to do it right. I will keep a very close eye (and ear) on how these rockers and valves ware with miles.

I have been Google searching for a few hours and found a few people that have used a dremel tool (or even a 4" angle grinder )to fix issues like this while the head is still on the car. I need to remove as little material as possible, keep the valve stem cool by running a cutting fluid over it (and having a towel absorb it once it falls, then change oil right after). Try to grind it as flat and smooth as I can, cleaning it up with a very high grit sand paper bit in the dremel. Not sure about maybe trying to harden or temper the stem once I am done - will have to look into that. But I will keep you all updated. I am going to reuse the rocker that has some side wear since it does not even touch the valve anymore and i ordered one replacement rocker for the one that has a chip out of the roller tip.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:45 PM

Well I got them almost done but my battery was getting dead. I will finish tomorrow. Here is what I have so far, before and after. I need to cleanup the dust too.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 PM

-Dustin-
Old 05-14-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri

-Dustin-
???
Old 05-14-2011, 08:15 PM

I see nothing wrong... Gotta do what you gotta do...If my valves mushroom with these damm Comp R's lifters I am grinding the same way....I would be more worried about the Valve guides on the ones that were twisted..
Old 05-14-2011, 09:54 PM

Wait, why am i even doing that. they make lash caps?.. caps for the valve stems, looks like a nice new surface for the rocker arm to run on. Right? and only $35 at my local AutoZone. Then maybe a different push rod, maybe. I will check the pattern but with so little change i cant see it being much off. Valve stem diameter is 0.3415" = ~11/32" I believe.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=86012_0_0_

EDIT, yea looks like this will be the cheapest, easiest, safest solution I think:

Under $10 to order just 2 from Jegs/ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comp-...ehicleQ5fParts

Last edited by ENRKyle20; 05-14-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:13 PM

You really got to get all that metal and abrasives out of there somehow or kiss your engine goodbye.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:17 PM

I will. Start with a grease grease covered q-tips, then compressed air, then a nice oil bath with drain plug out. what I dont get the magnet in the pan will pick up, what that misses the oil pump pickup screen will catch (large chuncks anyway), and what that misses the oil filter will get. I will flush everything with oil with the drain plug out, install a new (high quality) filter, and 5 qts oil, run for 15mins then do one more oil and filter change. Nothing will get damaged. Think about all the metal shaving that got ran threw the engine when the rocker was shaving it as it ran off center. All stuck in the filter and engine is fine.

Last edited by ENRKyle20; 05-14-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Guideplates Wore Out, Now Valve Tip Mushroomer (Pics)