LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Guys with K&N FIPK...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 08:22 AM

Guys with K&N FIPK...

... or any type of aftermarket cold air....

after installing, did you put the bottom air deflector back on to protect the filter?

i didnt, and i think its making my filter blacker faster than normal... ???
Old 11-12-2003, 08:25 AM

I left mine on. If you leave the splashguard off, it will cause it to get dirty faster. Just think about all the dirt/water/mud that will get up there so much better with that thing off. The only time I will take mine off is when I go to the track...probably take the filter off too, and then they'll both go right back on immediately.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:01 AM

Any gain you MIGHT see from leaving the splash guard off isn't worth the chance of possibly sucking up dirt, or hydrolocking your motor
Old 11-12-2003, 11:51 AM

You aint gonna get any gain from leaving the splash guard off. Hell they even say the Ram Air system only worked on cars that fly at 150+ or somethin. The whole purpose of the CAI is just that. To get cold air into the Tb instead of warm air from the engine bay. It's not a type of forced induction system.

Cold air has more dense oxygen molecules which makes better ignition. Okay you science *****, I know that didn't sound right but you know what I mean.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by StreetZ
Any gain you MIGHT see from leaving the splash guard off isn't worth the chance of possibly sucking up dirt, or hydrolocking your motor
The splash guard isn't going to have any effect on your motor hydrolocking. In order for the engine to suck up enough water through the filter to hydrolock the motor the filter would have to be nearly completely submerged. Having a little plastic shield down there isn't going to protect against that.

Anyway, to answer the question, I left mine on and drilled a bunch of quarter inch holes in the bottom and sides of the shield.

-Chris
Old 11-12-2003, 05:18 PM

i just took mine off been about a year now no troubles. just stay out of the lakes.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:47 PM

I left mine on and it was a good thing that I did. My filter fell off the neck one time and it just layed on the splash guard. It's a good thing that it was there or else I would have been buying a new one. That's why I would leave the splash guard there.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by LimitedEd1LE
I left mine on and it was a good thing that I did. My filter fell off the neck one time and it just layed on the splash guard. It's a good thing that it was there or else I would have been buying a new one. That's why I would leave the splash guard there.
That's probably the best reason of all to keep it on.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:09 PM

I cut out a 4x4 in square right where the filter is and stapled window screen over it , i dont know if its a significant gain or not but it sounds cool!
Old 11-13-2003, 09:48 PM

for some reason i had to make a scoop b/c my splash guard wouldnt go back on with the FIPK since the filter hung a little low. It was put on all the way, so i guess my car is just different? My filter doesnt get dirty too fast, but then i drive only a couple thousand miles a year
Old 11-13-2003, 10:01 PM

When I got my car I was new to the whole 4th Gen scene and in my haste for some "free Horsepower" I chopped a big hole in my splash guard and set up a funnel to direct the air right onto the filter.
I still have it that way. My filter gets rather dirty in a hurry.

If I could do it over again - I'd just leave it alone.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:21 PM

I wouldn't want a rock flipping up and putting a hole in my filter.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:21 PM

well after installing the cold air, i left the splash guard off and rechecked it about 3-4 months later. one complete side of the cone was black...

guess ill be putting that air deflector back on

the only reason i left it off in the first place is bc im a VERY lazy person and my friend was there and he was like "ehh just leave it off it'll get more air"
Old 11-13-2003, 11:23 PM

Gotta agree with almost everyone on this one, just leave it on. Its not going to make a difference, can do more harm than good.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:48 AM

I would also say to leave it on there, I have had my filter come loose as well. I don't see how it could increase power any, so why not take the few extra minutes and put the cover back on.

Quick Reply: Guys with K&N FIPK...