LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hard to start and Hesitation...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:00 PM

Hard to start and Hesitation...

All out of idea's...

i installed an accel optispark, ngk tr55 g-powers plugs...
well when i was complete i went to start it up and i got it to run but when i
start to open the throttle up quick it hesitates and stumbles... if i rev up slowly it is fine... after it gets hot it is even harder to start...

i pulled the plugs: they were black, so i got a new coolant sensor...
after i installed the coolant sensor i started the car and had the same problem, but when i checked the plugs they were white...(running too lean or wrong heat range)... so i ditched the plugs and went back to plain tr55's and the motor started and ran fine for a few minutes then started to hesitate again... this time i got a light so i scanned it and it showed up p0122 tps code...
so i put on a new tps, i cleared the code and then nothing... same hard to start and hesitation... i checked the wires and connection, looked fine...

i am just running out of ideas...

oh yea, i checked fuel pressure and it is also good...

maybe someone can point me in the right direction...
Old 02-25-2007, 04:26 AM

Sounds like what happened to me about a month ago. Turned out mine was the piggy back chip in the pcm had gone bad. Ordered a new one from Madz28. Fixed.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:39 AM

Is the opti and plugs the only thing you did before it started running like puke? How did it run before those things? Hesitation and sooty plugs makes me think nasty vacuum leak right away. Got all hoses plugged in or hear any hissing sound coming from the motor?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:03 AM

Are there any exhaust or vacuum leaks?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 AM

i checked the plugs again and they are fine... all hoses are connected... ses light is out...(replaced tps)
it ran fine before replacement of the opti... but the reason i replaced opti was because of a missfire...
i'm sure it is possible that i got a bad opti. however, the ses light is out and all the plugs are the same...
i noticed that when i turn it over there is alot of ticking coming from the front of the motor...
Old 02-25-2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by ZL1modified
i checked the plugs again and they are fine... all hoses are connected... ses light is out...(replaced tps)
it ran fine before replacement of the opti... but the reason i replaced opti was because of a missfire...
i'm sure it is possible that i got a bad opti. however, the ses light is out and all the plugs are the same...
i noticed that when i turn it over there is alot of ticking coming from the front of the motor...
So when the car is running, you are hearing this tickin noise or just when you are starting it up?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:45 AM

just when trying to start...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by carguy2112
Sounds like what happened to me about a month ago. Turned out mine was the piggy back chip in the pcm had gone bad. Ordered a new one from Madz28. Fixed.
hey, how did you know that was your problem?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:52 AM

New Opti and new ticking noise in front sounds like quite a coincidence. I'd use a stethescope and try to figure out if the noise is coming from the opti. If so, look inside. I've read that some new ones have had a rotor screw come loose. That could cause very inconsistant timing and eat parts.

Plugging the stethescope into the vacuum port on the opti would give you a direct audio channel into its guts.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JP95ZM6
New Opti and new ticking noise in front sounds like quite a coincidence. I'd use a stethescope and try to figure out if the noise is coming from the opti. If so, look inside. I've read that some new ones have had a rotor screw come loose. That could cause very inconsistant timing and eat parts.

Plugging the stethescope into the vacuum port on the opti would give you a direct audio channel into its guts.
Good point, I have read a few posts now of people who have bought both the Accel and MSD optis to find that the internals have some loose screws or something else is out of wack. Might be worth it to pop off the cap and give the opti a quick inspection.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:47 AM

i might just send it back to summitracing and get the oem brand...

i had a hard time getting the connector plugged into the Accel unit also...
Old 02-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ZL1modified
hey, how did you know that was your problem?
Mine wasn't ticking. It wouldn't rev when I stomped on it. If I eased into the throttle slowly, it would rev up fine. I had just replaced the pcm and I took it to the dealership thinking it may be bad. They pulled the piggyback out and ran it off the stock chip. It turned on the cel but it was able to rev up when I stomped on it.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by carguy2112
Mine wasn't ticking. It wouldn't rev when I stomped on it. If I eased into the throttle slowly, it would rev up fine. I had just replaced the pcm and I took it to the dealership thinking it may be bad. They pulled the piggyback out and ran it off the stock chip. It turned on the cel but it was able to rev up when I stomped on it.
oh, so it thru a code...

my light ses light is not on...

i would think a bad opti would throw a code but i geuss not...
Old 02-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Now that I think about it, one of the reasons I took it to the dealership was the cel. It was on but my scan tool wouldn't read it. It kept saying "connection error". It's sounds like you have a different issue.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 PM

update:
i replaced the accel opti with the delco...
guess what? i have the same problem...
so i thought i read someone smacking their pcm...
so i took it out and smacked... The damn car started running perfect right after i smacked it...

leads me to one thing, what the hell could it be in there?
: could it be that piggy-back chip?

Quick Reply: Hard to start and Hesitation...