LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 PM

Hard Starting

I got the car in sig about 2 weeks ago and havent had much time to play with it since i go to school full time in boston. Anyways, i have noticed that it is a bitch to start. I will prime the fuel pump (walboro 255 i believe), and then crank it over the first time (won't even sputter) for about 4-5 seconds before stopping. Then, the second time i turn the key, it sputters and fires up, but then usually takes 5-10 seconds before a decent idle id established (sputters and hangs). After 20 seconds or so, it idles perfect and revs like it should. The motor has less than 5k miles on it but the plugs and wires are from 2003. Could old plugs be the cause of this hard starting? I know it has a decent size cam in it, but it is by no means a big cam and should not be this hard to start. Any other things it could be? Maybe the taylor wires that are on there?

On another note, since i've heard alot about taylor wires arcing, if i run the car in the dark and open the hood, it should be easy to see arcing wires correct?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Have you checked the fuel pressure for rapid bleed down on pump shutoff? Does it start any easier if you put the accel pedal on the floor before you turn the key to "start"?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Have you checked the fuel pressure for rapid bleed down on pump shutoff? Does it start any easier if you put the accel pedal on the floor before you turn the key to "start"?
will try on thanksgiving break when i'm home gotta get a pressure tester and install my holley adjustable fpr. Should I continue to hold it to the floor after i start cranking it? I was under the impression that doing this made the computer think the motor was flooding and actually cut off all fuel?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Correct.... accel pedal on the floor = "clear flood" mode. Reduces fuel. But hard starting can be the result of flooding due to leaking injectors. The leaking injectors would show up as rapid bleed down on fuel pressure when the pump shuts off.