LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Has this been tried yet

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 11:13 PM

Has this been tried yet

I've had an idea for awhile. I'm still debating long tubes versus shorties, but if i go with the long tubes, I'm not gonna have much money left for custom fabbed exhaust. Could you not just run some 2.5 or 3" pipe straight off eash of the longtubes, through a borla X-1 or something and then bend out toward the side and exit in front of the rear tires, down each side, dual exhaust like. No crossover, each LT header would just go straight into a pipe, and that pipe would go straight back then bend toward the outside and exit there, sidepipes style but not running right along the rocker, just straight off the header. The only bend would be before the rear axle, where it bends out toward each side and exits there. So, whaddya think, hope you can kinda picture what i mean, it would be so easy to draw, but hopefully my explanation does it. I don't know if the lack of a crossover would hurt it or what?
Thanks guys
Old 06-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Banned

crossover is there to equalize backpressure and its a VERY good thing as well as a cheap thing to add. I reccomend doing it.

you can run exhuast whereever you want
Old 06-14-2003, 06:19 AM

I am doing basically the same thing with mine, I am running Flowtech Purple hornies header mufflers straight off the header, but the flowtechs have turndowns. I have not got the car back together yet (still need to put the tranny in) but it should work.
How well it will work remains to be seen, the lack of backpressure is for sure gonna hurt my low end torque, lack of a crossover is an issue as well.
I will let you know how bad it kills me.
If its too bad I will have a muffler shop I been talkin too fab me a true dual setup with an Hpipe and bullets or ultraflows.
Ground clearance is not an issue with my car cause so far the Eibach Drag launch kit has raised it.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:03 AM

Anyone have pics of this setup?
Old 07-24-2003, 05:40 AM

This should give you a little idea of what mine looks like.
This is just temporary cause I found an exhaust guy I like alot and he is gonna bend me up a true dual setup that exits closer to the rear axle.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:53 AM

check out the "website" link below... there are pics of the setup that's on my car on the 5th page I believe...

I've since added extensions and tips to the exhaust.. because as the pics show it comes to about 8" from the outside of the car.

But basically I'm just running a true-dual setup with an X-Pipe, 2 Bullets, and then 2 90*'s to get the exhaust outside the bottom of the car to get rid of the droan if dumping underneath.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:33 AM

Cool

Originally posted by revtime
I am doing basically the same thing with mine, I am running Flowtech Purple hornies header mufflers straight off the header, but the flowtechs have turndowns. I have not got the car back together yet (still need to put the tranny in) but it should work.
How well it will work remains to be seen, the lack of backpressure is for sure gonna hurt my low end torque, lack of a crossover is an issue as well.
I will let you know how bad it kills me.
If its too bad I will have a muffler shop I been talkin too fab me a true dual setup with an Hpipe and bullets or ultraflows.
Ground clearance is not an issue with my car cause so far the Eibach Drag launch kit has raised it.
I tried to get the 3" hornies on my collectors, but it looks like you would have to do some major removal of the floor board. This was my first thought as far as hooking them up. I ended up taking my true dual 3" piping to the muffler shop and having them weld collector flanges on the end. I then piped on the hornies. WOW ! These things sound awesome with no cats, and honestly they aren't very loud at all. The cool thing is, it's a big ol cut out since i've got them placed right before the rear axle, I can just drop the mufflers off at the track

And I do have just 2 pieces of piping coming toward the rear. It's simple. I didn't want the complexity of a x pipe since i'm all about low buck

Backpressure = The Devil. I lost a little torque. I can still haze the tires at 45mph

-Shannon

Last edited by NOMAD; 07-24-2003 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:54 AM

I muscled mine on.
They are hard up against the bottom of the car.
I might try your idea. Just go low buck instead of the 350 the true dual setup is gonna cost.
They do sound pretty good and no they are not near as loud as I thought they would be.