LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hate the Opti..anyone else hate it too?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 08:08 AM

You have some other issue if it is going out every 15k miles. You need to find out just what it is in the opti that is failing.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by ArcticYT95TA
I think that is me on the 4th opti, at 112k miles. I hate it, absolutely hate it. I just recently took the car on a very small trip, to the track, and I was nervous that something would break on the way there. 90 miles and it was horrible on the way there and the way back.
Umm..what exactly do you hate?? If its acting up just replace it. How many people hate their transmissions when they get old and start to slip?? Doesnt make sense. Just get it fixed.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:27 PM

im pushing 160k miles on the original opti, and wires are also original going to change the wires soon, starting to have off the line hesitation im hoping its the wires.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:19 PM

the fact that moisture buildup will cause the opti to fail.
Bah...urban legend. I've washed my entire motor every time the car gets washed since day one and I'm still on the original opti. I even soak the entire engine with that engine cleaner foam while I wash the rest of the car, then spray it off. I ain't scared!

My opti doesn't act up. It just fails. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like a bit more troubleshooting is in order...what you're experiencing isn't normal and likely not the fault of the opti. Something is taking it out, or in the process of replacing it something is getting disturbed by coincidence. What brand of replacement are you using? Are they replacing the entire thing, or just using a rebuild kit? Has the wiring harness been checked thoroughly? Has the inline filter been replaced? Once or twice is fine to replace something, but certainly by the 3rd or 4th time you or your mechanic needs to start asking some serious questions. Something's obviously not right and unless figured out, you'll probably continue to replace them on a regular basis. Next time, get the old one from them and take it apart...might give some insight into the root cause.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:55 PM

not even a week after i got my car i washed the engine the opti died so i guess its my fault but ive always washed other cars engines and it was fine so i hate it.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:04 PM

To all opti haters:

Would you have been happier with a regular distributor on the back of the engine that you would have to pull the motor to remove? I don't think so. A regular distributor that did not have the accurate cam and crank postiioning capabilities of the opti? I bet not. Ever get a conventional distributor wet? It conks out.

Yeah, maybe they could have done something different, but they didn't. If it is such a nuisance, get an LTCC or buy a different car.

I am finding there is one thing I really don't like about it - the dreaded opti "whine".
Old 07-31-2003, 04:11 PM

Well, the Opti has been replaced by a GM dealer, the same dealer 3 times now.
Maybe it's time to try a different dealer...
Old 07-31-2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Type_O_Negative_1320
My original opti tanked at 95K...show me an old school distributor that can last that long and then I'll be upset about it.
My old school distributor lasted 130K miles. Actually it was still working when I replaced it since I went with vacuum advanced when I swapped carbs.
I didn't have to remove my waterpump to chnage it though.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:32 PM

Angry

Glad everyone has such good luck...well most that replied to me anyway...thanks for rubbing it in that yours lasted so long...you have no idea how annoying it is to replace so much especially when i are not good enough to do it yourself and pay $$$$ for it.....as far as something else being wrong, some told me that was the problem....no one has ever found any reason for the opti to fail so soon...everything on the vehicle has been checked many times and everything is perfect and i have no other problems with anything...i have no crazy mods, don't race it......so well....perhaps some LT1s are just prone to this....it really sucks.....if anyone has any other ideas what to look for or why it fails...i'd love to know. I won't be changing it for a autozone one...i already had it done at GM last week...so i will wait till it goes again.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:37 PM

What are they charging you to swap opti's?
My brother has been swapping opti's left and right trying to eliminate a high rpm miss. He does it himself since we have the tools and the time.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:41 PM

sorry....someone asked me if i had a breather line or of filter done i think...i believe the 94 did not have this....as far as i know i have a sealed unit....everything has been gone over and no one can find anything and i know many of the techs that work on my car....they aren't trying to screw me as far as i know....and GM doesn't care so no help from them. I just probably will drive it 1000miles a year for the next 15 years...lol....then it will go again
Old 07-31-2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Zepher
My old school distributor lasted 130K miles. Actually it was still working when I replaced it since I went with vacuum advanced when I swapped carbs.
I didn't have to remove my waterpump to chnage it though.
Was there any upkeep on it though? I thought you had to change points and whatnot every so often to keep them working correctly.

Forgive me if I'm wrong though...I've never tinkered with a distributor other than an opti.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Type_O_Negative_1320
Was there any upkeep on it though? I thought you had to change points and whatnot every so often to keep them working correctly.

Forgive me if I'm wrong though...I've never tinkered with a distributor other than an opti.
I just changed the cap and rotor, it's like $10.00 for those.
Sometimes the module will go bad, that is about $30.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Black94Z
sorry....someone asked me if i had a breather line or of filter done i think...i believe the 94 did not have this....as far as i know i have a sealed unit....everything has been gone over and no one can find anything and i know many of the techs that work on my car....they aren't trying to screw me as far as i know....and GM doesn't care so no help from them. I just probably will drive it 1000miles a year for the next 15 years...lol....then it will go again
Yeah, '94 was the last year for the sealed unit. As far as your other optis that conked out...did you pull them apart to see if they had been contaminated by water or oil, or did you just pitch them and throw a new one on? You'll know right away if water has gotten in there...the optical disk will be covered in rust.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:00 PM
Banned

Mine just recently quit on me @ 94k miles.

Maybe one day there will be a replacement for it

Quick Reply: Hate the Opti..anyone else hate it too?