LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Have a 96 z28 (OBD II) and want headers w/ no SES...whatd do I have to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:11 PM

Have a 96 z28 (OBD II) and want headers w/ no SES...whatd do I have to do?

Hey guys....I almost bought some headers and Y pipe for my car but heard that with the OBD II, I would need to convert to OBD I so no SES codes would be thrown. Is this true? What do I need to do about this if so? Also, what is the difference between headers w/ emmission hookups and without? Here is the one I was going to buy....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, if I would need to convert to OBD I, would I purchase the headers meant for 95' and older camaros?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:22 PM

Re: Have a 96 z28 (OBD II) and want headers w/ no SES...whatd do I have to do?

you need to get it tuned to optimise the power from the headers anyways...obd1 wont throw code for the air and egr not working sometimes....but you dont need to change to obd1 you just need to get a mail order tune
Old 05-30-2006, 03:24 PM

Have it tuned to turn off the rear O2 sensor codes (I assume you are removing the CAT)
Old 05-30-2006, 03:33 PM

Get rear O2 simulators from summit, thats all it takes, unless ur going to disable the EGR and AIR tubes, then you'll need the tune.

and use www.redlineperformanceengineering.com, they sell the whole package (headers, RY, and o2 extensions) you'll still need to get nice gaskets and o2 sims from summitracing. even ebay can't beat their prices.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:33 PM

Is there any advantage to going over to OBD I then since I will have to get it tuned anyways? So confused, sorry, I am a novice!
Old 05-30-2006, 03:36 PM

Which headers are you going with? If you get emission legal headers (ex. SLP d/c shorties what I have) you don't have to do anything just install them properly and you keep all your emissions stuff intact no issues (none for me have them on my car 6 years now).

If you go LT's and/or shorties that aren't emissions legal, you'll have to reprogram the ECU to cut out or "bypass" reading the emissions stuff like EGR and/or rear O2 stuff (most people get rear O2 sims to "fool" the ECU that there are rears O2's there when there isn't) or go OBD1.

With LT's you will have to get 2 cats but that's tricky depending on where you live, some states don't allow relocation of factory emissions stuff so you open a big can of worms going that way.

Tony
Old 05-30-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mushijobah
Is there any advantage to going over to OBD I then since I will have to get it tuned anyways? So confused, sorry, I am a novice!
You don't need an OBDI PCM in order to run long tube headers or whatever kind you are thinking of. Tuning the OBDII PCM to work along side your headers will do the trick. As for the advantages to having an OBDI PCM versus the later, here is a link to Madz28's site, he explains it there:
http://www.madz28.com/faq.php#question18
Old 05-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Exactly what emissions standards and testing procedure do you need to meet?

Here's a radical approach.... - just install them with all the emissions intact, and have no problems at all (except possibly "visual" on the long tubes, because of the relocated cats), and no loss of performance.

Switching to OBD-I would present a major problem if they hook up to your ALDL connector for an emissions check.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:03 PM

I'm in Ohio, and only like 4 counties have emission standards. With the headers I posted in my original post, what will I need to buy to get them working with NO SES lights. I'm sorry I'm so slow with understanding this, it's just a lot of information on top of all this goddamn schoolwork I gotta study for ! AND....Will a borla exhaust kit work with them?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:07 PM

You are looking at the emissions style long tubes. Basically, they will keep the AIR and EGR systems intact so you will not need to worry about those emissions systems. The only problem they pose is the fact that you will need an off-road y-pipe that will not have cats. Therefore, you will need to either a) have the rear 02 sensors deleted from your PCM via tuning or option b) buy a pair of 02 simulators that will provide a "dummy" signal to your PCM allowing it to believe that you have functional cats. By doing these steps, you should avoid an SES light.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:17 PM

OK! That makes perfect sense. I DO want to keep those systems intact (I think) so selling the car will be easier. Will I suffer any losses in the long run as far as power goes? Also, is it hard to find LT's with emissions? I do not think the one in my original post had this option...or does it? I am planning on camming the car eventually also...
Old 05-30-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mushijobah
OK! That makes perfect sense. I DO want to keep those systems intact (I think) so selling the car will be easier. Will I suffer any losses in the long run as far as power goes? Also, is it hard to find LT's with emissions? I do not think the one in my original post had this option...or does it? I am planning on camming the car eventually also...
You will not suffer any losses with the EGR and AIR systems intact. You stand little to gain by removing them other then a little weight reduction and a little clutter removed from under the hood. The headers in your ebay link appear to have the EGR and AIR fittings on them. A few companies do offer long tubes with emissions fittings.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:25 PM

What county are you in? In Cuyahoga, for OBDII, they just hook up to your ALDL for the test. No visual.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:22 PM

I am in Franklin (columbus). No regs here!