LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Have Shocks need springs that won't lower the car much

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 09:57 PM

Have Shocks need springs that won't lower the car much

I got some bilstein hd's this week and decided to change the springs also. I need some springs that won't lower the car more then 1". I've narrowed my search down to:

hotchkis
bmr
1le

1le is my first choice (because they lower like 3/4) but i can't find them on gmpartsdirect. I have lt headers so i don't want to lower to much. I've done a search and could only find the front ones (i think) part #. Would the 1le be my best choice? What about bmr and hotchkis springs whats your thoughts? I would like to have springs without to much harshness close to stock ride as possible. I don't do any road racing. Ride quality with some performance would be perfect.

thank you

price doesn't matter
Old 10-17-2003, 10:40 PM

I thought the 1le didn't lower the cars at all.I bought hotchkis for my ls1 but they dropped it like two inches but think they have fixed that problem and think ls1 and lt1 use same part number now.The hotchis rode nice and handled great but were just too darn low.
I then put on slp eibachs.they drop it about an inch..on my 99
ws6 ta and still ride not bad and handle very good.
I hear the bmr also don't have that much drop.Not sure how they ride though.--++++
Old 10-17-2003, 11:12 PM

Re: Have Shocks need springs that won't lower the car much

Originally posted by kyzer soze
I've done a search and could only find the front ones (i think) part #.
1LE spring part numbers
front 22132561 (1994-97 1LE, 360 lbs/in)
rear 22132562 (1994-97 1LE, 130 - 170 lbs/in)
from http://www.1le.net/docs/1le_specific_parts.html
Old 10-17-2003, 11:43 PM

Go with the Eibach Pro Kit. At first I thought it was too small of a drop but ended up to be perfect. A lot of guys run them without any complaints. Have had mine for like 5 years.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:58 PM

The last post I read about someone that installed 1LE's, said it raised the car. I am running Hotchkis and they seem about right for my tastes. I did not want extremely low, either. A few pics are on my home page.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:33 AM

After putting the 1LE springs on my car, it RAISED the car by about half an inch. Just giving you the heads up, if you want lower, go with something else.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:50 AM

I am in the same boat, I have been holding off on this for a while because I don't know what the hell springs to get. I have almost just said screw it and got a prokit but then I think about it and I know its going to be too low. I only want 1/2-3/4 of an inch drop in the front and like an inch in the rear. What the hell springs should I get, 1LE's are now crossed off the list.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:51 AM

I have BMR springs and I like them. Just right ride-height and better handling.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:08 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did somemore searching and heared somemore people complaning about the 1le springs raising up so those are definitely out. Good lookin out on that one

The Eibach pro kit is to low for me maybe i would go that route if i didn't have lt headers.

Chris 94 do you have lt headers? If so do you scrape your car?

Shoebox i checked your mod list out and didn't see any headers do you have any and what kind thanks?

I guess its down to hotchkis and bmr
Old 10-18-2003, 11:05 AM

I have longtubes on the 99 with the slp eibachs and need to crank the kyb agx to nearly full stiff not to hit.
The slp eibach I think have the mildest drop..around 3/4 to one inch max.If hotchkis actually gives there stated one inch drop now then they would be sweet.they had great ride and handling.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:30 PM

I decided to get the hotchkis 1" lowering springs to go with my bilstein hd shocks. I let you know how it turns out in a few weeks.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:38 PM

I am just going to get DMS springs since DMS is close to my house and they are super cheap. I am going to run them with Sam Strano revalved Bilsteins. Will probably be a little low but oh well I will just drive carefully.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:35 PM

I ordered the BMR springs havent installed them yet, but u can go on his website for a pic of what it would look like. BMR DROP
Peace
Omar
Old 10-23-2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by kyzer soze

Shoebox i checked your mod list out and didn't see any headers do you have any and what kind thanks?

I guess its down to hotchkis and bmr
No headers.

Another option is to go with adjustable ride height shocks on the front (like Hals or similar). That way you could make the height whatever you want (for more $$, of course).
Old 10-23-2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
No headers.

Another option is to go with adjustable ride height shocks on the front (like Hals or similar). That way you could make the height whatever you want (for more $$, of course).
How much do the HALs actually adjust the ride height? It would be nice if they made shocks that you could adjust the ride height while in the car. I guess that would be airbags, but airbags cost too much.

Quick Reply: Have Shocks need springs that won't lower the car much