LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Have Shocks need springs that won't lower the car much

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by bigdreamZ
How much do the HALs actually adjust the ride height? It would be nice if they made shocks that you could adjust the ride height while in the car. I guess that would be airbags, but airbags cost too much.
Well, they will go way higher than stock and probably low enough to get rid of all gap between the fender and top of the tire, maybe more (that would be pretty low).
Old 10-23-2003, 11:19 PM

On that note. The air bag setup looks cool. Seen a transam ls1 with it. When he would park it, it would just drop to the ground. Real slick look. From what he told me the install consisted of some major work, but i dont know he coulda been exagerating. Im guessing that kind of setup isnt too great for handling purposes.
Peace
omar
Old 10-24-2003, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by shoebox
Well, they will go way higher than stock and probably low enough to get rid of all gap between the fender and top of the tire, maybe more (that would be pretty low).
WOW! That would be really sweet! As it is right now I can BARELY get a freakin jack under my car with the stock suspension. How easy is it to adjust the HAL shocks? If they really do allow you THAT much adjustability I think I will get them. Shoebox do you have any exact numbers as to how much higher/lower than stock they will go?
Old 10-24-2003, 02:35 AM

Thumbs up

I would go with the SLP eibachs that is what I installed with my Bilstiens couple of weeks ago. I had the 1LE setup the WS.6 comes with the 1LE suspension but without the Koni Double adjustable shocks. The SLP Eibachs lowered the car a inch all the way around looks good. They are good springs the Front Spring Rates are 300/450 and the rears are 115/185. I was lucky and got the Springs, Bilstein shocks, 1LE LCA and Panhard bar for basically free from my friends 1995 Firehawk. He replaced his with DMS springs, LCA's, Adj Panhard bar and KYB AGX Adj Shocks. We actually didn't know his car came with the Eibach package he said if he would have known that he wouldn't have purchased the DMS springs.

1997 Trans Am WS.6 Black Grey leather
Borla catback, off-road pipes, Hypertech PP+ & 160 degree stat,Subframes, Eibach Lowering Springs, Bilstien shocks, 1LE Lower controls arms and Panhard Bar, K&N Filter, B&M Ripper Shifter, LT4 Knock Module, Energy Suspension front and rear swaybar endlinks, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, Mac Pulley, 1LE Driveshaft, Air foil, Throttle Body Bypass, SLP Pressure plate & Clutch, Energy Suspension Trans mount & Torque Mount and Viper GTS-R Carbon Kevlar syncros in a rebuilt T-56
Old 10-24-2003, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by bigdreamZ
WOW! That would be really sweet! As it is right now I can BARELY get a freakin jack under my car with the stock suspension. How easy is it to adjust the HAL shocks? If they really do allow you THAT much adjustability I think I will get them. Shoebox do you have any exact numbers as to how much higher/lower than stock they will go?
Perhaps they are a little easier to adjust with the new thrust bearing kit they offer. This is a thrust bearing that goes in between the adjusting nut and the spring (or modified spring seat if using stock springs). They are a little tough with just the one washer that they come with.

Nearly the whole body of the shock is threaded, so you have that much range of adjustment (though you will have more threads to make it higher, than lower).
Old 10-24-2003, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the info Rob, I just called up Thunder Racing and they said that these shocks have an adjustability of 2 inches either way, the guy was actually suprised when he told me. At first he said he didn't think it would be that much, but he wasn't sure nobody had asked this before. He went and looked it up and sure enough he said it has 4 inches of play! I am really excited about getting these HAL shocks I am suprised more people here don't run them??? Is there any downsides to the HAL shocks? Maybe I should start a new thread...

Last edited by bigdreamZ; 10-24-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:03 PM

That sounds pretty cool about those hal's. i didn't know you could do that also. To bad i already bought my bilstein's

The hotchkis springs are out of stock two different places. Im going with the bmr springs.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by kyzer soze
I decided to get the hotchkis 1" lowering springs to go with my bilstein hd shocks. I let you know how it turns out in a few weeks.
I'll be looking forward to seeing how that turns out. Shocks and maybe springs is next on my list.

97_TA_WS6, got any pics of your setup?
Old 10-30-2003, 04:48 PM

The Bmr springs i ordered are now on backorder also after i've been waiting 5 days for them to ship Im going with dms springs now.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:18 PM

I just ordered a set of springs from Classic Industries which gives me a 1" drop, and my bilsteins just arrived today.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:05 AM

I made a new thread with reactions to my install of dms springs and bilstein shocks. Please give me your thoughts cause i think my shocks are messed up.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=191662