LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

having issues with valvetrain

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
As Paul Harvey says. here's the rest of the story.....

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501667

I will ALWAYS say that a better pushrod will always increase the performance of ANY ANY ANY cam.
You can say whatever you want. Doesn't mean it's believable or your reasoning has been touched by the hand of God... That's of course unless sheeple like to believe your, "They break just because I have no idea..." logic.
Were any of those pushrods that were bent the same $40 LPE pushrods I used? I didn't think so. Perhaps the late John Lingenfelter knew of this and decided to go with something reasonably priced that WORKS?
As Walter Cronkite said, "And that's the way it is..."
Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 PM

dude, i dont care about any of that. I need answers on my car. Take it PMs please. Anyone.........
Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 PM

Sorry... have you checked to see if the pushrods are bent? Regardless of whether or not you care it is a possibility the pushrods are scored because of deflection which was covered in that thread.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:33 PM

I just put in new comp cams magnum pushrods so they are fine and not clogged.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 AM

I had a similar problem with my car and fixed it with new lifter. I know you just put new ones in but that is the only way oil gets into the pushrod to get to the rocker. I would pull that lifter out and take a look at it.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by taubr unit
I just put in new comp cams magnum pushrods so they are fine and not clogged.
So you're getting a ticking noise now or it was there before you put the new pushrods in? As stated you may have a bad lifter.

And i noticed that theres no oil comming out of that PRs to lube the rocker.
One of the pushrods or all of them?

Last edited by SS RRR; 07-09-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 PM

as for the ticking/knocking.... it was doin it with the old lifters and the new ones. So im pretty sure its not the lifters.

As for the pushrods.. all of them are getting oil through them, just not the one making noise. So i got 2 seperate problems with the one rocker.

So with all the old AND new pushrod/lifter combo, the noise it exactely the same. And i poured oil all over the rocker and the noise never changed a tone.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:03 PM

How loud is the ticking? Some noise is normal with a cam and springs since the valves are shutting faster and harder into the seats.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:04 AM

i know what your talking about but its a deff. tick/knocking noise. I listened to all the others and this 1 deff. has a problem. I wish it was just that trust me!!
Old 07-10-2007, 05:21 PM

well i just took everything apart and its all spotless. Nothing is dirty and nothing clogging the lifter bores. Only thing i notice is the pushrods already look worn on that one lifter. As if its not spinning and that prob. because i got no oil going through it.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 PM

well i just took everything apart and its all spotless. Nothing is dirty and nothing clogging the lifter bores. Only thing i notice is the pushrods already look worn on that one lifter. As if its not spinning and that prob. because i got no oil going through it.
You checked the lifter to see if it wasn't clogged? Did you notice whether or not oil was going through all rockers before you changed out the pushrods?
Did you take the lifter apart?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 PM

You don't mention what type of rocker you are using, but it might be worth swaping the rocker on the #2 exhaust where you are noticing the noise to another location and see if the noise follows... if so it might be wear in the needle bearings of the rocker (assuming roller rockers?)
Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 PM

ok, well i almost got it figured out. I took the one bad lifter apart to clean it out and check it all out. Everyting was clean or at least to my eye so i put it back and swaped it with a different lifter that i knew worked in my motor. Turns out that the "bad" lifter was the first to get oil to my rockers and then the rest was all good. So now i got oil going to all my rockers but still ticks the same even when i swapped stuff around. So im still not ruling out a exhaust leak so for the $20 im gonna change the gasket and go from there.

p.s. I didnt buy new intake gaskets just to check to i reused the ones already on there and it runs perfectly fine, lol. So i guess im not buyin new intake gaskets.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 PM

An easy way you can tell if it's an exhaust leak is put the engine under load, accellerate at low rpm and see if the "tick" gets louder.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

get yourself some Summmit brand Chromoly pushrods... which are actually trick flows... and also did you take time to center the guide plates properly?

Quick Reply: having issues with valvetrain