LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

hEAD CHANGE

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 AM

hEAD CHANGE

150k, white smoke, low oil pressure. Should I change the heads? My mechanic doesnt want to touch it because he says new heads might put too much pressure on the bottom of motor. Should I change it my self? White smoke galour, hiccups, havent checked the oil. I was driving in 100 plus degree weather and heard a pop and and it stalled out. after that it's just white smoke and 10 mins of running until it looks like fog in my backyard.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 AM

How do know it's the heads---it could be in the bottom end anyway, unless you just blew a head gasket. If it is just a head gasket then you change the head gasket after checking the heads for any problems. You don't need new heads, but if it is the bottom end, i.e. rings, etc.

While heads are off, however, you should check valve seals and valve train in general. With tons of miles on a bottom end, yes, performing a valve job or installing new heads might be too much compression on top and the bottom end might not approve.JMHO
Old 03-28-2007, 11:36 AM

"Changing heads" isn't going to fix low oil pressure.

Sounds like time for a full rebuild, don't cheap out.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:50 PM

It was running ok before it blew with the exception of the fans not cutting on. If I'm not mistaken bad heads will cause fan malfunction. I bought new fan motors and jumped them from under the dash board. I'm doing the work myself as far as the heads are concerned. if i could do the crank and bearings without taking the motor out i would 'cuz i'm not setup to take it completely out of the car.

Suppose I changed the heads and went up to a 383 on the crank would that be enuff to breath new life or should I just take the damn thing out,rebuild slowly and call this summer bye bye?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by immortalmack
Suppose I changed the heads and went up to a 383 on the crank would that be enuff to breath new life or should I just take the damn thing out,rebuild slowly and call this summer bye bye?
You've got alot of reading and research to do.

You don't just pull a 350 crank out the bottom of the car and replace it with a 383 stroker crank.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Oh! It aint that easy huh? You guys make it sound so easy on here.

Yea, I'm gonna change the heads to see if it runs but in about august I will do a complete rebuild.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Bad heads don't cause a "fan malfunction".. I'm not sure where you're reading this stuff from man.

I don't understand why you want to "change the heads" when it doesn't seem to be the culprit of your issues. Save up all together for a complete rebuilt and don't waste your $.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Bad heads don't cause a "fan malfunction".. I'm not sure where you're reading this stuff from man.

I don't understand why you want to "change the heads" when it doesn't seem to be the culprit of your issues. Save up all together for a complete rebuilt and don't waste your $.
Yeah I agree, something else is wrong with your motor, the heads might be going bad but that seem to be the least of your worries. How low is the oil pressure? Mine was still fine even after I spun the rod bearing.

After you heard the pop does your motor knock at all? My motor had 120K miles on it and I spun a rod bearing and mine made a weird noise like if you took 2 wrenches and hit them together and then my motor knocked pretty bad.

In order to pull your crank you will need to pull the motor and if you are getting new heads why don't you just send your old ones to eportworks.com and have a stage 1 or 2 job done on them and get a matched cam while you have everything apart (unless of corse you already bought new heads). If you watch in the classifieds you can get some really good deals if your patient. I got a reman crank from autozone with bearings for $180, but I know the guys down there really good and I got a pretty good deal. Also if you want to save some cash ebay can be helpful.

If you need any help or are looking for some good used parts pm me, I have some for sale