LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Head Gasket?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Head Gasket?????

Yesterday after driving my car it was overheating Like crazy got it home and notice it was very low on coolant so i filled it up and took it on a 20min drive then I checked it again and I notice some coolant around my Throttle Body plate on top I took the plate off and it was mixed with tons of oil and coolant I cant tell if its getting sucked in from the valve cover hose that goes to the TB or its coming from the PCV valve side can someone please chime in
however when I did a oil change there were no traces of coolant anywhere
Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 PM

head gasket

Man any other time on this site I wolud get tons of responses for this kind of issue
Old 04-24-2010, 12:05 PM

bump
Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 PM

I'd suggest doing a leak-down and coolant pressure test. Are you getting any white smoke out of the exhaust?
Old 04-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Head

No I dont see any, However I do see some oil driping on the driver side head in the back I just replaced that headgasket about 7 months ago I used the felpro bolts from autozone Would I be able to tighten the bolt alittle with the head on would you guys recommend that
Old 04-24-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by lt1le2
No I dont see any, However I do see some oil driping on the driver side head in the back I just replaced that headgasket about 7 months ago I used the felpro bolts from autozone Would I be able to tighten the bolt alittle with the head on would you guys recommend that

You can go over them and make sure they are at spec, but you should not over tighten the bolts. If you over tighten to much then you will mess up the head, and possibly even crack it.

The oil you see dripping down should be coming from the valve cover. They also should not be over tightened as it will bend them, and they wont seat right.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by McLovin
The oil you see dripping down should be coming from the valve cover. They also should not be over tightened as it will bend them, and they wont seat right.
could be coming from the back of the intake manifold also, fairly common problem
Old 04-24-2010, 02:30 PM

if you did not torque your heads in proper sequence you could have warped your head.did you torque to spec?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:05 PM

The coolant mixed in with the oil under the top plate is strange. The coolant does run through the TB at the bottom for deicing, but does anybody know of a way it could possibly make its way to the top plate? Crack in the TB or something else? Just throwing ideas out there. Why don't you try doing the coolant throttle body bypass mod? It's quick, easy, very cheap, and you might pick up a couple of HP while ruling out any kind of possibility for the coolant to get in that way. Only other way for coolant to get under that top plate (that I can think of) is to be sucked in through the PCV, and if that was happening you would have tons of water in your oil pan as well.

Just re-read your post. You say you noticed coolant around the top of the TB, so that would be externally, right? You then removed the top plate and saw more under it, mixed with oil. Coolant externally is going to be a leak externally, period. There are several hoses that run through that general vicinity, perhaps one has a pinhole leak and is spraying on the TB while you drive. Maybe it could then seep under the cover? If you saw coolant on top of the TB, that's all I can imagine it being. Since there is oil and coolant mixed UNDER the cover, if it was leaking out from there, you would see mixed oil and coolant near the top of the TB, not just coolant.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
could be coming from the back of the intake manifold also, fairly common problem

Not on intakes that have been put on in the last 7 months.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:57 PM

Not on intakes that have been put on in the last 7 months.
taking the intake off and putting it back on will not change the fact that the the intake was warped, if in fact it was - which is fairly common

i see your attempt to flame and raise you a:

valve covers dont usually leak when they were just put on 7 months ago either
Old 04-24-2010, 04:22 PM

Drain your oil to see if water is in it. If you have recently done an oil change then drain the oil into a clean container. So if it's still good you can just put it back in. Even with the engine overheating once there is still a possibliy it damaged the hg. Hope it's something simple and not a hg.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:45 PM

Head Gasket

Well guys I drained my oil today and there are 0 traces of water or coolant in oil I noticed that my TB does not have that gasket in where the plate goes there is nothing in there I don't know if that makes a diffrence or not. I did see where my valve cover was leaking oil in the passanger side and I fixed that right away I also looked at my valvesprings and rockers to see if there was any milky oil and there was not I have no idea guys. I guess the only way is to do a pressure check.

I also pulled my plugs and cranked the car to see if any coolant blew out and everything was dry no trace. thanks for all the input guys I will keep you poseted on what I find hopefully its a leaking coolant hose or something. when I am at wot in my car I smell something burning like really bad exhaust
Old 04-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
taking the intake off and putting it back on will not change the fact that the the intake was warped, if in fact it was - which is fairly common

i see your attempt to flame and raise you a:

valve covers dont usually leak when they were just put on 7 months ago either

Where did you come up with that BS? I have been around lt1's for over 5 years and have not ran across one that warped from the ERG system. It might happen, but its not common at all....

Also my valve covers leaked with new gaskets, and I had to toss a little rtv on them in the back to stop it. Who ever had the car before me over tightened them and they don't seat right.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Where did you come up with that BS? I have been around lt1's for over 5 years and have not ran across one that warped from the ERG system. It might happen, but its not common at all....

Also my valve covers leaked with new gaskets, and I had to toss a little rtv on them in the back to stop it. Who ever had the car before me over tightened them and they don't seat right.

come on man, i don't know why you are coming after me like this, all i did was make a comment that added to yours, saying that it could have been also leaking from the intake. i did not even say your comment was wrong or anything like that,

you are ruining this kids thread for no reason, taking it way of topic

the aluminum intake manifolds on lt1 cars have been known to warp, nobody said anything about the egr system having anything to do with it either. obviously you have not spent enough time around these cars

and what your saying is that it is possible for your valve covers to leak after replacing gaskets because of a mistake, but not an intake? there are no gaskets in the back there but it is very easy to screw up the bead of sealant when maneuvering the intake into place. your comment makes no sense that it is not possible to be leaking from the intake just because he had it off 7 months ago

it was just another possibility to add to yours, something to look for. but you were right anyway, you win teh big priz0r

Quick Reply: Head Gasket?????