LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Head Gasket Blown?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:46 PM

Re: Head Gasket Blown?

Well I put a brand NEW radiator in it today and it is STILL overheating. The only thing left I suppose is the head gaskets. Before I look into doing that, anyone else have any other ideas?

Are the LT1 headbolts re-useable?

I also noticed today that a very slight smoke was coming from the passenger side breather after I turned off the car. It wasn't very thick and it did not smell like coolant.

Any ideas??? I'm basically thinking head gaskets at this point.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:47 PM

Head bolts are not re-useable.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but any coolant system problems on LT1's usually end up being headgaskets. These motors have a bad way of popping them.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:47 PM

DO this...
1 Disconnect the coil wire from the opti.
2 Pull one plug at a time and crank the motor with the radiator cap off. When you crank the motor and it fluid stops rushing out thats the cylinder that the gasket is blown around. Remember that it may be blown by more than 1.
3 If you do this and all the plugs are out and the water still rushes out then, maybe it something else, but i highly doubt it.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:54 PM

I'm going to throw an electric water pump a friend has on tomorrow and see if anything else happens. There seems to be some very unusual issues with the waterpump and maybe this will tell me something. It's almost as if the pump is not sucking only pushing?

The only thing still keeping my from thinking head gaskets is that there is absolutly NO water in the oil and 99.9999% of the time there is...

Will update tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:20 PM

I think its a head gasket but thats just my opinion. The girlfriends Cobra did the same thing this past thursday. She called and said the car shut off and was steaming. Let it cool off put water in it and it will not start. Take the rad cap off and it blows coolant 6" out of the radiator. Put a leak down tester on it and blew water out of a spark plug hole two cylinders down.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Red95Formula
I think its a head gasket but thats just my opinion. The girlfriends Cobra did the same thing this past thursday. She called and said the car shut off and was steaming. Let it cool off put water in it and it will not start. Take the rad cap off and it blows coolant 6" out of the radiator. Put a leak down tester on it and blew water out of a spark plug hole two cylinders down.

My car starts and runs perfect. I bet your g/f's car had water in the oil also and mine does not... Could go either way...
Old 09-19-2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by captaindbol
The water flys out of the radiator cap because of the cars reverse cooling system. You can't add coolant with it running like a regular sbc. Borrow or buy a tool to pressurize your radiator and then pull the spark plugs. Watch and listen and you will find the leak. I provided a link in case you are not familiar with the tool.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ssure%2Ctester
Did you try this??

To me this is the sure fire way of diagnosing cooling system problems. Most parts stores will rent/lend you this tool. This is the way I found my headgasket blown.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:58 PM

No oil in the water either! I am guessing then that you have bleed all of the air out of the motor?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by pearlpurple
Did you try this??

To me this is the sure fire way of diagnosing cooling system problems. Most parts stores will rent/lend you this tool. This is the way I found my headgasket blown.

No I did not use that method. I know that after running the motor for a short while the cooling system will build up pressure like normal and will HOLD it for 30 minutes. If it had a blown head gasket I would think that after the motor is off all that pressure in the cooling system would be forcing air/coolant into the cyclinder and then would trickle past the rings into the oil. OR it would stay in the cyclinder and then upon startup you would see white smoke from trying to burn off the water. OR you would have water lock and would not be able to start the vehicle...

Just my opinion...
Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Red95Formula
No oil in the water either! I am guessing then that you have bleed all of the air out of the motor?

No oil in the water or no WATER in the OIL? Bled all the air out of the cooling system? Is that what you are saying?

-Taylor
Old 09-20-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 84 monte SS
Your headgasket IS blown, the coolant being shot out of the radiator has nothing to do with reverse flow cooling. The headgasket is blown near a water jacket and is leaking compression into the cooling system. Thus the thrust pushing the water out as you crank the motor.
This is exactly right. Why are you beating around the bush trying all these other things. You have a blown head gasket. The only way coolant can be pushed out of the radiator when it is cold is from engine compression. The only way engine compression can come out of the radiator is a blown head gasket. Word of advice...replace both while you have everything apart. Also, take your heads to a machine shop to have them decked because they are more than likely warped.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1-bad-z28
This is exactly right. Why are you beating around the bush trying all these other things. You have a blown head gasket. The only way coolant can be pushed out of the radiator when it is cold is from engine compression. The only way engine compression can come out of the radiator is a blown head gasket. Word of advice...replace both while you have everything apart. Also, take your heads to a machine shop to have them decked because they are more than likely warped.

I guess that's what I'm doing. Why beat around the bush? Why replace something that doesn't need to be replaced. I did check the waterpump earlier and everything seems normal.

I don't know of anyone that is idiotic enough to only replace one head gasket on a V8. Obviously when you have cooling problems you will surface the heads.

Actually coolant could be pused out of the radiator when it is cold if you are sucking air from somewhere.

Thanks though.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:23 AM

didn't mean to insult your intelligence. You never know the mechanical skills of somebody you are talking to. Just wanted to give you some pointers in case you didn't know.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:41 AM

I have this same exact problem. It is believed I have cylinder head seep, so the cooling system is getting pressurized (which was suggested before) and pushing the coolant out.

You could also try smelling your coolant while the car is running, and you will probably notice it will smell funny.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:25 PM

So what are you planning on doing about it?

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Blown?