LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Head/header bolt thread question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Head/header bolt thread question

Ok so has anybody helicoiled the header threads on their head, as preventative maintenance? I mean like the first and last threads maybe? I was thinking about doing it since the heads are on a stand right now. It just seems the aluminum threads are prone to weakness/stripping. I know it is not possible to do this once the engine is in(without removing heads), and wanted to run this by everybody.

Last edited by Dave1980; 05-14-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:29 PM

I had one that someone cross threaded and hit water, the last one on ds, just did leak. when I rebuild that one I'm gonna have to do something

be careful
Old 05-14-2008, 06:32 PM

no no no. dont worry bout that. the only time there a problem, is when either someone crossthreads them (cause there headers holes arent lined up properly? or just not taking your time), or if the bolt breaks because the bolts are old/fatigued and the orig. mannifolds are warped. if you got them out no problem, just buy some nice bolts (S/S and never worry bout them again) and add some loctite so they dont gall when you remove them years down the road. I put my header bolts in 5 years ago, they came out like I just put them in.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
no no no. dont worry bout that. the only time there a problem, is when either someone crossthreads them (cause there headers holes arent lined up properly? or just not taking your time), or if the bolt breaks because the bolts are old/fatigued and the orig. mannifolds are warped. if you got them out no problem, just buy some nice bolts (S/S and never worry bout them again) and add some loctite so they dont gall when you remove them years down the road. I put my header bolts in 5 years ago, they came out like I just put them in.
Well I guess stand out as the village moron here and say that it is a good idea to helicoil all of the exhaust threads. Why? Because if you're like me and paranoid about noises.. you'll go back and recheck every bolt. I have a nasty habit of overtightening, so much after having the headers off and on about 3-5 times, it took its toll on the two outside threads on the head. I ended up going with a set of ported lt1 heads and I reinforced all the exhaust bolt holes so I wouldn't have to go through that experience again.

Long story short - IMO, its worth it if you can put helicoils in without messing up. Its just good insurance down the road.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:57 AM

Do you mean anti-seize?
.......only just buy some nice bolts (S/S and never worry bout them again) and add some loctite so they dont gall when you remove them years down the road......
Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by 94zgreenmachine
Do you mean anti-seize?
/\ /\ X2 on the anti-seize! Thread-locker could be a problem.

WD
Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 AM

I can't see how using the heli-coil would be a bad thing (if done correctly).
Old 05-15-2008, 10:55 AM

I have used a helicoil once, and I am familiar with how to put them in. If I put some in, what do I need to watch for? I mean if I use the recommended kit (thread size), the drill size is ok correct? I would poop my underpants If i messed up my heads.

I noticed there are 2 types of the helicoil lengths for this. .562 and .750

UPDATE: after thinking this over, I am not going to mess with them unless I have to. I will put these in if/when I strip threads later.

Last edited by Dave1980; 05-15-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM

yeah sorry, meant anti sieze. got a 3 week old baby and im a little sleep deprived.

just all the hassle of doin it is the reason I recomend not doin it, and you need to get it straight too. its way too easy to drill a little crooked. all for nothing if there fine now. if your good at doin them, no it wont hurt. but why?if you jsut feel like doin something, come over here and finish putting my car back together. cause for the reason listed above, I dont have time right now.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:32 PM

Ha, mine is 7 months old, no sleep still. I feel your "pain"

yeah sorry, meant anti sieze. got a 3 week old baby and im a little sleep deprived.

just all the hassle of doin it is the reason I recomend not doin it, and you need to get it straight too. its way too easy to drill a little crooked. all for nothing if there fine now. if your good at doin them, no it wont hurt. but why?if you jsut feel like doin something, come over here and finish putting my car back together. cause for the reason listed above, I dont have time right now.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:20 AM

Yeah that is my fear. I am afraid of drilling one just a little crooked, and having the bolt not line up with the header or worse damage. Trust me I am not bored, LOL. I can barely get this engine project done. I am limited to every other weekend on it right now. I am in really no rush however, and wanna make sure to do things right the first time. (which is why I wanted to know if I should tackle the helicoils while motor was out.) Yeah so I just couldn't drive myself to drilling out good threads like that, with risk involved.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 PM

if it ain't broke don't fix it