LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Headed To The Track!! Predictions???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by speed_demon24
Um, I'm a full weight bolton LT1 running 13.0's on street tires. I say high 12's on street tires, mid-low on dr's depending how well it hooks and how much you are willing to risk with the 10-bolt.
You have an auto... makes a big difference. He has 4.11 gears and a 6 spd. w/o tires he will be spinning all the way down the track... I have seen it.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:46 PM

Track sucked bad it was too cold, times suffered horribly.

Today I put an OBD1 swap pcm in his car with a tune meant for the similar 306 cam, then went for a ride with him, OMG that thing pulls like you got rearended. My best of 14.1(traction limited) feels downright slow compared to his car. If he got sticky tires and ran a good 12 the only suprize for me would be that the axle held.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:17 PM

Re: Headed To The Track!! Predictions???

Originally posted by Berly_BoneStock
1984 Berlinetta Camaro
cammed and headers.
Hmm.... 14.50s?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:34 PM

best i could muster all night was a terrible 14.1 all i have to say is street tires plus 4.10s plus wir = 1/4 mile burnout session. Pretty much it was spin spin spin all night long. first was useless half of second was mostly useless and between second and third lit them up again. lol i need to buy some dr's and beat on my ten bolt a little!

Big thanks though to Dwayne For hooking me up with the obd1 swap and a decent tune! The car feels like it gained a good solid 20 horse. Dwayne. Hopefully ill be back in a couple weeks with some dr's and some killer times.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:15 PM

The back of his car is covered in enough Kuhmo to prove the traction troubles
Maybe next time if you do have the stickies it will be your Camaro needing the hook to get home, like that 3rd gen did .
The track should get a bit better as things warm up, it has been cold so as soon as the sun dips the track temp plumets, better times should come once the days are warm enough to make the track hold heat even after the sun is down and the air gets good. If I can get my traction sorted out, maybe next Streetrace night we can pick on some LS1s.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Berly_BoneStock
best i could muster all night was a terrible 14.1 all i have to say is street tires plus 4.10s plus wir = 1/4 mile burnout session. Pretty much it was spin spin spin all night long. first was useless half of second was mostly useless and between second and third lit them up again. lol i need to buy some dr's and beat on my ten bolt a little!
What did your 60 foot's look like? And what mph were you trapping at?
Old 05-09-2004, 10:42 AM

My 60ft times were a lousy 2.4. I was trapping between 98-100.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:09 AM

He said it was bogging when he hit 4th, I sort of wonder if he wasn't really hooking till then, that would explain the low MPH. Like I said before I only rode in it the day after this after putting a rough tune in it, that night he was on the stock tune. The thing is awesome it is much faster than the slips show. I am running similar times with 60s ranging from a best of 2.0XX to 2.4 or so and my car feels slow compared to his.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:19 AM

Yeah, the 4.11's will give you a real run for your money trying to launch well on street tires.

I've said it alot, but 4.10's are nice, but you HAVE to be able to put that power to the ground. They help a lot in 1st gear, if you can hook up, but not much after that. This is assuming that you are going WOT. They help TQ in every gear of coarse, but each gear also runs out much quicker.

Looks like slicks or drag radials are going to be your friend, but if you are on the stock 10 bolt, I'd start saving for a new rear end.

Once you can hook up, you will be tearing up the track with that setup.

I only have headers and an intake, and I have a hard time hooking up with 275/40-17's and the 3.42 rear end, so I feel your pain. Any lower rear end and it's just going to get worse.

Dan
Old 05-09-2004, 11:44 AM

It won't get worse with 4.10s, it will get better. With 4.10s there is a more direct relationship between throttle and tire spin, so it is easier to modulate the throttle. With 3.42s once you break traction your tires spool up like crazy. With 4.10s you just stay in it (or let up lightly) and they stop spinning really quickly.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:45 AM

Well I didn't get to the post on time, but my prediction was

"PREDICTIONS ARE A WASTE, you can't ever really know what your car is going to run." And obviously, your times and people's predictions proved my theory correct. Anyway, get some sticky tires and you'll do much better.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Nestromo
It won't get worse with 4.10s, it will get better. With 4.10s there is a more direct relationship between throttle and tire spin, so it is easier to modulate the throttle. With 3.42s once you break traction your tires spool up like crazy. With 4.10s you just stay in it (or let up lightly) and they stop spinning really quickly.
To be honest, I have a hard time believing what you say here. I'll have to take your word for it though. I have 3.42's.

If you have 4.10's, there is no more of a direct relationship of throttle to torque. I believe what you meant was that it's more sensitive to throttle changes. Small changes in throttle will give you much quicker changes in TQ. To me, that would make it even more difficult to control since you would have a harder time smoothing out your launch.

The 4.10's will spool up much faster than the 3.42's once you break traction, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the 3.42's spool up like crazy.

BTW, do you have 4.10's?

Dan
Old 05-09-2004, 12:27 PM

All I know is that if there was a burn out competition i would have definately won that night. Im assuming that a good set of dr's will put me low thirteens high 12's
Old 05-09-2004, 12:42 PM

Low 13's.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:13 PM

I can easily get ahold of a heavy hitch for my car(freind has it in storage), if you know where to get ahold of a trailer we could have a backup plan incase the stickies are too much for the axle. That would be worth it just for the looks from the other racers. .

Quick Reply: Headed To The Track!! Predictions???