LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header gaskets leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 06:47 PM

Header gaskets leaking...

I just had my headers installed and now have a header gasket leak. The headers are mac midlengths for a 93-95 style, and the gaskets supplied with them were copper and i guess the port diameter was off a little. Are the gaskets that come with supposed to be copper? I was expecting some cheap ones. The guy who was doing it for me didnt notice until he already had one header on, and wanted to charge me extra labor to take that one off if i wanted them to put different gaskets on.

So anyways, my main question is this: When I asked what gaskets he would put on if I had him replace them, he said something along the lines of mr gasket... or maybe it was gasket maker. What gaskets should I buy?

Oh yeah and he said the headers didnt have enough surface area to bite down on the copper gaskets so that is why it didnt seal correctly. Id like to fix this over the weekend sometime, so thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:02 PM

I use NAPA gasket part no. MS16107.

Mr Gaskets never worked good for me due to the way they are shaped. The NAPA are cheaper
Old 11-14-2003, 08:33 PM

alright I emailed the guy but he wont be able to respond till tomorrow, and i sure hope he does. And thanks for the response FN2BINAZ.

Does anybody have a second opinion due to my circumstances?

FN2BINAZ, are they paper or copper or aluminum or what?

Last edited by b-stevens; 11-14-2003 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Copper is suppossed to be a top of the line gasket material and aluminum also, they are both soft metals. If you want something Leak proof go to summit and look type in PArt # SCE-4611
for the Specialty Component Engineering Pro copper D rign gaskets for the LT-1.

However...Your question is kind of confusing Sounds like your installer is about to put on some cheap gaskets or something...If the headers didn't have enough surface area to bit down on the gasket it sounds more like a Product defect.

Mac's are a hit and miss header. Allot of people have had problems with them not alligning with the ports properly ETC, however I heard just as much good things about them. Did your installer or you test fit the gaskets to them to see if they matched before the install? How much is the guy charging you for all of this?
Old 11-14-2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Heatmaker
Copper is suppossed to be a top of the line gasket material and aluminum also, they are both soft metals. If you want something Leak proof go to summit and look type in PArt # SCE-4611
for the Specialty Component Engineering Pro copper D rign gaskets for the LT-1.

However...Your question is kind of confusing Sounds like your installer is about to put on some cheap gaskets or something...If the headers didn't have enough surface area to bit down on the gasket it sounds more like a Product defect.

Mac's are a hit and miss header. Allot of people have had problems with them not alligning with the ports properly ETC, however I heard just as much good things about them. Did your installer or you test fit the gaskets to them to see if they matched before the install? How much is the guy charging you for all of this?
I didnt personally and obviously he didnt either until he put the first header on and was about to start on the second one. It would have been 400 flat if I hadnt bought an orp and stage 8 locking header bolts (which i got to prevent future leaking... damn, so much for the future) So it was 400 for labor.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:04 PM

They are a metal core gasket. I have had them on the car 2 years with no trouble at all.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by FN2BINAZ
They are a metal core gasket. I have had them on the car 2 years with no trouble at all.
Im glad you said that, when i asked him what gasket he would replace them with he said there woudl be no metal in these except for the core. well those werent his exact words but i think you get the idea.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Is the problem the Gasket or the headers?

Does he plan on puttin in a Thicker Gasket or something? I'd be worried about some El Cheapo Gasket dude. One good *Poof* then it's rip the headers off again time.<-----Learned the hardway.

I thought Metal Gaskets were the more resistant against *Poofing*

Wouldn't just a metal core gasket be inferior?

Last edited by Heatmaker; 11-14-2003 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Heatmaker
Is the problem the Gasket or the headers?

Does he plan on puttin in a Thicker Gasket or something? I'd be worried about some El Cheapo Gasket dude. One good *Poof* then it's rip the headers off again time.<-----Learned the hardway.

I thought Metal Gaskets were the more resistant against *Poofing*

Wouldn't just a metal core gasket be inferior?
Yeah I was under the impression that this would be a cheaper gasket, but its also softer and i guess you would be able to form it to the headers more, when i got these they definately did not feel soft in any way. it was like holding a block of metal in your hand

Last edited by b-stevens; 11-14-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by b-stevens
Yeah I was under the impression that this would be a cheaper gasket, but its also softer and i guess you would be able to form it to the headers more, when i got these they definately did not feel soft in any way. it was like holding a block of metal in your hand
I'd be hesitant of the gaskets you're describing. The stock GM gaskets look like a mesh screen over a thick paper gasket. This sounds like what your installer is referring to. These gaskets are good on stock manifolds, but not headers.

The flange on the headers gets stupid hot. It will bake paper cmposite gaskets into a brittle ceramic that will not seal properly. This is why many use copper or dead-soft aluminum. The paper core gaskets can be made to work by coating them with copper RTV on each side before install..... but is it really worth the risk of the gasket still blowing?

I used Mr. Gasket copper gaskets on a Jet Hot LT header install. It took a while for them to finally seat and totally seal. The copper has to go through a few retorques and heat cycles to seat properly. To speed the process up the gaskets can be torched with propane flame and then cooled. (all done BEFORE installation of course ). This softens the copper and makes it more malleable, so that it seals better.

I'd check the headers themselves to ensure the flange is not warped and the primaries align properly with the exhaust ports on the heads. They will never seal if the headers themselves are out of tolerence.

Hope this helps a bit....

Schantin
1997 Camaro Z28 .... sold to a better home?
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 11-15-2003, 02:32 AM

Just changed out a header gasket this evening. I usually use mr. gasket ultraseals. Mine blew because a damn screw fell completely out. I was amazed to see it completely gone. I have used the sce copper gaskets from summit. I think they suck majorly. They sure as hell didnt work on my bbk shorties. it made the leak worse. The ultraseals are about 15 bucks and have a metal core with paper surroundings. They are pretty good. Just dont go with the cheap *** cardboard ones, otherwise u will doing it again. oh, be sure and make sure that all the bolts remain tight. i am gonna go make sure mine are still tight tomorrow. hope that helps. -Michael
Old 11-15-2003, 04:21 AM

I think i know what your talking about. I used copperseals with my slp headers and there was a minor leak because the raised 'crush area' of the gasket overlapped with the ports at places. I switched to Fel Pro's with great results.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:38 AM

Percy's dead soft aluminum D-port gaskets for LT1... that's what I'll be using next. I have already gone through 2 felpro 1406's on each side header and still have minor leaks.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:36 AM

He replied to my email and said that he would use felpro or mr gasket and that he has the ones id need in stock. I think ill just go there and pick up a set, clear up a few things with him and get to installing them. Even if I go through a couple gasket sets it would still be cheaper than paying them for labor.

Im also going to ask him if he went through the proper heat cycles for the copper gaskets before installing them.

When I do it, how much should i torque the bolts to?

Last edited by b-stevens; 11-15-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:41 AM

The problem was the gaskets, a few of the D ports were a little larger on the gaskets, making the gasket smaller. Im going to start installing them in a few minutes, do I have to disconnect the headers from the y pipe in order to do this??

Quick Reply: Header gaskets leaking...