LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Question Header install

Here's the story.
My dad gave me some headers for christmas. (nice eh?) Although they are not the best, top-of-the-line, coated LT's or anything like that, if they can at least perform as good as the stock manifolds I'd be happy.. With mild effort (honstly wasnt terrably hard to get them in) me and a friend had them both in. The headers and y-pipe fit great. One problem though. I cant install my steering linkage. AT ALL!!! It's wanting to be about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch into the center of the bend of the #3 primary.

I know you can adjust the linkage with the 2 bolts. Didnt work.
We even heated the glue and seperated the linkage into the 2 halves to extend it. Didnt work.
We took 2 linkages, modified them into 1 longer linkage and changed the u-joint locations. Almost but not quite.
With my modded steering linkage, although it's rubbing like hell, I was able to at least drive it home.

Now. Since I'm kinda shade tree, and dont do this every day, my last point of interest, before I mod (bend) the primary, is of the engine height. If my engine is low, and could be raised an inch or 2, that would probably fix my illness. Here's a picture of my engine height in relation to the overhang above the intake manifold.

It's right under 4". I was hoping that anyone with a stock 93-97 LT1 could do me a favor by measuring theyre engine height in the same location I measured mine.. I don't think the motor mounts are blown, because the motor doesnt move at all. Almost seems like solid mounts. I havent had a chance to check out the mounts yet, but if engine height is a problem (hoping I'm low), then that's where I'll check next.. Thanks in advance for the help!

Also, anyone that has installed some Pace Setter 94-97 mid length headers, that may of had trouble with the steering linkage, please respond as well.. All help is welcome.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:23 PM
3gc

Re: Header install

I have energy suspension mounts. I just ran outside and measured 3 5/8" from the overhang to the top of the intake.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:44 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the fast reply! That's what I'm hoping more people will respond with.. 3/8 or so might just work.. 1/2 would be better.. Thanks again. Keep them measurements coming!
Old 03-20-2006, 07:36 PM

i put in poly mounts when i did my hooker long tubes. they are a pretty quality header and i still had to beat about 1/4" of the number 1 primary tube to clear the steering shaft. i have an LS1 rack and steering shaft in my LT1 tho so it wasnt supposed to be like that.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:03 PM

I put in the poly mounts when I did my headers. I just measured and my intake is about 3-3/8" to that lower part of the cowl. It looks like your engine is sitting about 1/2" lower than mine. The stock motor mounts really get stretched out over time and miles.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the responces guys. I'd rather replace te motor mounts tha have to beat in a new header.. Keep them measurements coming!