LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

header install questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 07:28 PM

header install questions

I'm planning to order Jet-Hot long tube headers for my 96Z28 soon and am trying to figure out what other items I will need for the install. I have a OBD1 conversion PCM and both the EGR and AIR system's are removed. I also plan on running an off road (no cats) Y-pipe. The car has 110,000 miles with cold air intake and 3" cat back.

Ok I figure I need:
1.) Mufflex Y-pipe for Hooker long tubes or custom Y-pipe made at a local muffler shop. I don't need rear O2 fittings (in Y-pipe) since I'm running OBD1, correct? Also will the Mufflex Y-pipe fit right up to my 96 cat back system?

2.) O2 sensors. I figure that I should replace the front sensors due to the high miles on the car. I will probably call Jason Cromer for these. Is there a specific type I need? Also, I need only two right?

3.) O2 sensor extensions. How many will I need?

4.) Header and collector gaskets. What is best and who has them?

5.) Plug wire fire sleeves and other heat protection devices. Any suggestions? I just put a new set of Taylor custom fit wires on the car so I will not be putting an over the valve cover wire kit on.

6.) Header and collector bolts. What is best and who has them? I've heard the stage 8's are a major pain and are hard to get torqued down. If I get normal bolts can I check and tighten them from the top of the car? If I do not use stage 8's what is the next best option?

7.) Also my car is lowered (Eibach Pro Kit). The car is no longer a daily driver but any suggestions as to how to improve ground clearance would be great.

Whew, lots of questions. Even if you can only help out with one or two questions please respond. All input is appreciated.

Jeff Allen
av8ing-fool@comcast.net
1996 Camaro Z28, m6, Eibach pro kit, KBDDSFC, LCA, AdjPHB, KnN FIPK, 3" Cat back, Free mods, OBD1 conversion PCM, !AIR, !EGR, 160 Thermo, 1LE elbow, airfoil, Bilstein revalves, 17x9 wheels, short throw shifter....other minor crap.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:47 PM

first of all i would go ahead and do true duals. pretty much any exhaust shop can do before the axle duals for cheap