LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header rubbing steering shaft....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:39 AM

Header rubbing steering shaft....

Doing the install on my RK sport headers and the driver side header is barely rubbing the steering shaft. I have loosened and repositioned the steering column and gain some clearance and im going to mod the steering shaft for some more, by lengthening it it will straighten and lift a bit from the tube. Currently it is about 3/16" from the tube.

The steering shaft is just above the header primary:

Photos below, note just above the blue line:
http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Member.../DSCF00141.jpg
http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Member...es/header2.JPG

Can the motor mounts be causing this, my car has 70K?

I would think that a worn motor mount would cause the engine to sink, not rise up. In this case if the engine rises the rubbing problem becomes worse.
Based on this do you guys still think that new motor mounts will remedy this?

Last edited by wrd1972; 11-15-2005 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:46 AM

Re: Header rubbing steering shaft....

You can try motor mounts but I think you might need to do a little header primary fabrication(a.k.a. hammer) and dent the primary a little bit.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by lt11997
You can try motor mounts but I think you might need to do a little header primary fabrication(a.k.a. hammer) and dent the primary a little bit.
I am doing this as an absolute last resort. RK sport is sending me a new left side header to try, although I dont think that will help. I guess RK sport support anit so crappy afterall.

If I had to clearance it, it would not be a very large dent, I would probobly pound or press the face of a socket into the tube to make it look uniform.

When the engine is under load (launch) what way does the engine torque, does the top of the engine roll to the driver side or passenger side?

Last edited by wrd1972; 11-15-2005 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:04 AM

I had somewhat of a similar problem when I installed my MAC headers. I would suggest to replace your motor mounts with the poly version. The stock rubber mounts are probably worn out and moving around under load causing the header to hit the steering shaft.

Hope this helps.

Jody J.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 AM

I was having the same prob with my AS&Ms and a friend told me that the steering shaft is adjustable.

Their should be a bolt above the joint that has a gapping to the top and bottom of it, and their should be another bolt at the bottom of the steering shaft where it hooks up to the rack. The bolts are on their pretty good so if you do try to adjust them make sure you use some lock-tite and torque them down to spec.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:58 AM

i have pacesetter headers and i just installed prothane motor mounts. before the motor mounts, i was able to adjust the linkage so that it would not hit the primary. now after the motor mount instal, the bolt in the steering linkage hits my header when turning. i wrote pacesetter about it and am waiting on a response.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Banned

Get a shaft from an LS1 car,it is a little bit smaller and no rag joint.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:43 AM

When i installed my long tubes, we had to keep trying to get it to work. Anyway, make sure you take off the crappy platic pieces around it, and hammer in the tabs on the side that are most likely hitting. Atleast thats what hit on mine. We finally got it to fit, and has been steering fine since.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
Get a shaft from an LS1 car,it is a little bit smaller and no rag joint.

really?? thats good to know. ill look around for one.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by fesgali
I was having the same prob with my AS&Ms and a friend told me that the steering shaft is adjustable.

Their should be a bolt above the joint that has a gapping to the top and bottom of it, and their should be another bolt at the bottom of the steering shaft where it hooks up to the rack. The bolts are on their pretty good so if you do try to adjust them make sure you use some lock-tite and torque them down to spec.

The only way I can see to adjust it is to drill out those two plastic pins and stretch it out using a hydraulic press, beating it didnt work. If it is about 1/2" longer the dog leg will straighten and raise it from the header.
Is there another way to do this?
I did get about 1/2" as well from shfting the stering column over

Does anyone have a photo of the LS1 shaft?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:08 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...ayphotohosting

theres one for sale.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:11 AM

This happened with my Pacesetter LTs, but only around turns when I was giving it gas (engine torqued sideways). I took the header off and dented the primary with a socket/hammer.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:34 AM

I had a problem like this with my Hooker headers, if I didn't get the steering shaft pushed all the way into place. It would bolt in, but it would rub. Moving the shaft around in there got it off the header.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:04 PM

i honestly dont have any experience with it. but 1racerdude says its smaller. i know one potential benefit from not having the rag joint is more responsive steering. im gonna look around at some junk yards to see if i can find one for cheap and compare/install the one that works best. also i believe all 4th gen v6, and Lt1 camaros got the rag joint one. only LS1 equipped cars got the updated shaft.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:21 PM

I seperated my shaft and legthened it 3/4" then welded it up solid. I had to make small relief cut to allow the up coller to slide further up the long shaft during reinstall I had to and longate the hole in the long shaft in the column.

It slipped on like pefectly and now very easily clears the primary and rests perfectly centered between the two primary pipes. There is about 5/16" on both sides to allow for engine torque plus I can adjust it as required to one side or the other.

I also loosened the 3 firewall bolts that secure the steering colum and longated the one round hole and shifted the column for more clearance.

This problem is now resolved forever.

I will post photos as soon as I can.

Last edited by wrd1972; 11-17-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Header rubbing steering shaft....