LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

headers! headers! headers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 05:18 PM

Exclamation headers! headers! headers!

im sure there has been way too many threads on headers but id like to ask everyone what headers i should get this summer? also, are all long tubes illegal...name some brands and types for me please!
Old 04-02-2004, 05:22 PM

How big is your budget?

Does your county do emmissions testing? If so long tubes may be illegal for you to run. They can be had with emmisions hook ups but require you to move your cat if you want to run one.

Do you plan on lowering your car? IF so that may be another reason to not run long tubes.

If you want to stay safe, go with a set of shorties or mid lenghts. Macs and SLPs seem to be 2 of the more popular brands, AS&M and RKSport the supposed "best."

Long tube wise, Hooker and Jet-Hot are popular. Pacesetters were just released not too long ago and are gaining in popularity. Just remember you also have to buy a Y-pipe when you run long tubes, and that can be an extra $150 or so..
Old 04-02-2004, 05:28 PM

ya my county does emmisions...is it a guarentee that having the long tubes is illegal? is the only reason they are illegal because you dont have a cat? if so i guess ill go with the mid-lengths (unless i cant lower my car with those either) im planning on lowering my car...does that mean i can only go with the shorties or could i go with midlengths.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:51 PM

The catch with the longtubes is that you can run cats (either integrated into the y-pipe or after it) but they will not be in the stock location. In some states it is illegal to move your cats. I doubt the mechanic inspecting your car will notice, but it may be a risk you dont want to take.

Longtubes also tend to hang a little lower than other headers. Our cars are already low, and if you plan on lowering the car with long tubes you may have to end up avoiding speedbumps. Shorties and milengths tend to tuck up tighter.

I noticed your car is a 96 with dual cats. Shorty/midlength headers designed for the dual cat are usually not as efficient at those designed for the single cat cars. A lot of people will suggest you converting to the single cat style exhaust system.

Do a few searches on various brand headers, then see what fits your budget. Its not really a question fo which headers provide the most gain, as much as it is which are best for your application.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:55 PM

kool thanks steveo
Old 04-02-2004, 07:19 PM

My MAC headers are emissions legal. My car runs 12.0 with the A.I.R. and EGR still hooked up.
I run through an Off-Road Pipe in place of my cat while at the track, but both my ORP, and Cat are flanged identically so I can swap them in a matter of minutes.
MAC headers are easy to install, they have great ground clearance, and great spark plug access...Oh Yea, did I mention the 12.0's?...LOL

Frank
Old 04-02-2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Steve0
I noticed your car is a 96 with dual cats. Shorty/midlength headers designed for the dual cat are usually not as efficient at those designed for the single cat cars. A lot of people will suggest you converting to the single cat style exhaust system.

note:
if you convert to the single style you will have the same illegal issues as the longtubes since basically one of the cats will be no more and the remaining one moved back a little bit. so if you are going to be illegal go all out and get the long tubes.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:32 PM

Thumbs up

12SCNDZ,
are your macs longtube?, where are you from? and i think 93 lt1's had single cat exhaust but my 96 has dual...what do you suggest i do...convert to a single?
Old 04-02-2004, 07:52 PM

so why would my 96 lt1 have 2 cats compared to a 93 with one...are they trying to make it hard on us to put good yet legal exhaust systems on our cars
Old 04-02-2004, 07:59 PM

the AS&M headers with the Random Technology dual cat y-pipe looks like a pretty good setup, i'm debating doing that and getting the Random Tech. catback with it, or doing jet-hot longtubes with a mufflex Ypipe and the mufflex 4in. cat back. i am in kansas so i have no emmissions testing here. anyone have any thoughts on which of those setups would work best with the 221/227 cam?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:17 PM

My MACS are mid lengths, and they're single cat.

Frank
Old 04-02-2004, 08:22 PM

FLP's are nice longtubes also. I've had these on for around 2 years with great results, no problems at all. It is not a cheap kit, but if you are considering the ASM w/random tech pipe, the cost will be about the same. FLP's cat converters have been great too, no problems with those. You do have tight plug access on a few, and the oil cooler has to be removed. These headers fit in without moving the motor. The best thing about them is they sound great.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:28 PM

I second the vote for coated MAC midlengths ('94-'95 style)

Dan
Old 04-02-2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Steve0
Actually, it's the design of the early single cat headers that
is desireable, not the single cat configuration. It's better to
run two cats if you have the space. If you are planning on
relocating the cats you might as well upgrade to two 2.5"
since the stock cats are only about 2.25". You should also
avoid the small bullet style cats and go with some with a
larger cross section.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by truedualws6
Actually, it's the design of the early single cat headers that
is desireable, not the single cat configuration. It's better to
run two cats if you have the space. If you are planning on
relocating the cats you might as well upgrade to two 2.5"
since the stock cats are only about 2.25". You should also
avoid the small bullet style cats and go with some with a
larger cross section.
Very true, I agree. The single cat is worse than having one cat after each collector, but the style of the headers is better than the dual cat headers.

Right now, I put one 3" high flow cat after the Y-pipe on my single cat headers, but it still doesn't flow as good as two stock cats. That's why I'm going to try a bullet muffler with flanges on both ends so that I can bolt that in instead of the cat when I want to. Then there is NO cat to restrict flow.

You will still see a HP gain with the headers and single cat, but it just won't be as much as no cats.

Dan

Quick Reply: headers! headers! headers!