LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Headers and O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:15 AM

Headers and O2 sensors

Hey guys, I need some help. I'm looking at buying a set of headers. I'm looking at the Pacesetter long tubes (Summitracing # PSM-72C2235 http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku) As I understand it, my '94 Z28 has a single heated 02 sensor. I believe these headers have the bung(s) for O2 sensors (hard to tell from the pic at Summit). Can I just use the one bung/O2 sensor, or do I need to somehow use a second sensor?

Also, I think that I need O2 wiring extensions. I think that the kit from Summit comes with O2 wiring extensions. It's hard to tell from the pics, but there are wires pictured, but the description doesn't say anything about extensions being included.

Anybody run these headers or purchased this kit? I'm looking at the Y-pipe also (Summit #PSM-82-1161). Pacesetter "says" they'll bolt-up to the stock exhaust. Experience anyone? Anybody sell them for less than Summit? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:24 AM

'94 Z28 has two o2 sensors
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Could be. I haven't had it up in the air to take a look. That's one of the reasons I'm asking for help. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Your car will, or should, have one O2 sensor per side, located in the exhaust manifolds. The headers should have bungs for installing these sensors. Later model Camaros also had a rear O2 sensor on each side, but your '94 will not have them. I just installed Kooks headers on my car. I only needed an O2 extension on the passenger side. I'm not sure whether that would be the case with Pacesetters, but I believe most O2 extensions are sold in pairs anyway.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:56 PM

Thanks, Bill.

BTW, from your "location", it looks like you get around - a lot. lol
Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 PM

Smile

Cam Can:
If the stock setup is the same as 1995 (I believe it is) then there are two sensors. One sensor bung is part of a manifold (driver side I think) and the other sensor bung is on one leg of the Y-pipe (passenger leg).
Good Luck with the work ...
Old 01-02-2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks, NJ-LE. I'm trying to plan everything out down to the last bolt to do a crap load of stuff over a week. A marathon session of installing headers/Y-pipe, LTCC ign., SFCs and a tune-up (PCM re-tune included). I have a second car, thank goodness. The thing is that I want to make sure that I have all of the parts ahead of time - the right ones - to do the job. So, work? lol Yeah, lots. I'm sure I'll be back on here asking more questions. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 PM

the extensions are not sold as pair, thunder sells them for 22.50 a piece
Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 PM

the pacesetter headders come with wire and but conectors to extend the length of the wiring. not the best soulution, although i did a set for a friend this way, but i used solder joints and it has never been a problem.

i think summit is the most expensive place to get pacesetters, try texas speed or one of the other supporting venders. i just bought a set of coated longtubes for $355.

Last edited by greenmachinedriver; 01-03-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the info. I've been shopping around. I just like to use Summit part numbers as a reference (good descriptions and listing of extra needed parts). I haven't found any for $355, but I'm still looking.

I would solder the wires too if I didn't get the plug-in variety. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 PM

jegs has the extenions you have to dig on their web sight to find. golen engine has them. be sure to run the engine without the sensors installed first, for a couple a minutes to burn off oils and other stuff.
http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/lt1_facts.html
Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by greenmachinedriver
the pacesetter headders come with wire and but conectors to extend the length of the wiring. not the best soulution, although i did a set for a friend this way, but i used solder joints and it has never been a problem.
here is your solution, just take your time and do one wire at a time and make sure your solder and heat shrink

and a tip, put the extensions in the harness side just in case you need to replace your sensors
Old 01-04-2008, 09:47 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
I've read numerous posts, from people that seem to know what they're talking about, that attempting to extend O2 sensors via soldering is a bad idea. Based on that, I would recommend just getting some extensions. The pair I got were less than 50 bucks. And as I mentioned earlier, I only needed a single extension for the passenger side. If that's also the case for Pacesetters, buy a single extension from Thunder Racing if they're available for purchase individually.

Also, the stock configuration places one of your O2 sensors in the Y-Pipe, I think the passenger side, as opposed to the exhaust manifold. My ealier statement about each one being in the manifold was incorrect.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Don't screw around with the Pacesetter wiring, get some aftermarket extensions with plugs. After about 600 miles two of the soldered connections on one side of mine came completely loose, causing the O2 sensor to loose signal and the car to run like crap. Had to crawl under the car and disconnect one of the O2 harnesses to force it to run in open loop until I could figure out what the problem was. Remember, the soldered connections are going to be right next to headers, which are hot, which will melt the solder right off the splices.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 PM

lt4firehawk makes a good point solder does not like heat and the foolproof method id to use the pre made extensions. although if you make good solde joints and wrap up the wiring with wire loom and route them away from the headders you should be fine. i have heard of varying results with this method.

tsp puts the pacesetters on sale for 360 alot. i got mine from new era performance. there is a guy on e-bay who sells them chaep as well.

Quick Reply: Headers and O2 sensors