LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Headers ok with a 3" exhaust or do I need duals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:27 PM

Headers ok with a 3" exhaust or do I need duals?

I have been looking around the boards and see what a huge performance boost that headers give.

Right now I just have a 3" Exhaust with a flowmaster, I wanted duals from the cat back but they wouldnt do it >.< I looked around for a while and couldnt get anyone to do it so I said screw it and just went with a 3" exhaust.

Anyways, If I put headers on will I will be restricted by my exhaust?

Right now it is just stock but I am going to be ordering some bolt on's around christmas

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2005, 08:39 PM

Re: Headers ok with a 3" exhaust or do I need duals?

with simple bolt ons only, i dont see a problem with a single exhaust personally. i do know that the further back the restriction the less impact it has on power. if you are not going with heads and cam, i think you will probably be fine. i still have the stock midsection on my car with jet hot long tubes and a stainless works y and it revs so fast and free that i dont see where the mid pipe would be causing a restriction. and i have a cam. then again, a 2.5" x pipe and duals sounds so wicked!!! personally, i would get the headers and worry about the exhaust after you spend money on at least a cam. just my opinion
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 PM

Wow thanks for the quick replies.
Tainted - Yes it would definetley be long tubes. I have been reading the forums the last few weeks and it seems most people that go with shorties regret it and go to long tubes.
The car is used as a daily driver. I just love having a little more power I think we all do actually. The car pretty much never goes over 110 (ya say what you say but I cant afford any tickets!). Basically I am going to spend my money towards accleration and handling, like gears and suspension. It probably won't ever see a race track but I do enjoy burning some Civics on the streets (can keep it just stock and do that just fine tho :P)

With that information, do you think its better to finish up the exhaust and get headers or get headers and a cam?

Cammed-aro - Thanks for the advice. It seems you both recommend headers and a cam and then worry about the exhaust.

Now it's time to do some research on cam's lol. I literally knew almost anything when I bought my car so I have alot to learn

Looking around headers don't seem that expensive, looks like I get some used onces for $300-$400.
If i bring it to a shop for them to install the headers, how long do you think i would be looking at as far as the bill, 2 hours of labor?

Also, any good guides to learn more about cams or should I just keep searching. I know just about 0 about cams.

thanks!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:56 PM

2 hours? if they stop the clock and have 20 people working on the job!!! no seriously now, headers are a time consuming project. i would expect 8-10 hours at the minimum from a shop. find somebody that has done an lt1 header swap first or they will have no idea what to do. as far as a cam, the comp cams cc306 is a very common cam for people to use. very streetable and excellent power gains. if you dont want to go that big, the comp cc503 (the one i have he he) is also common has a descent lope at idle, hell, i am running mine on stock tune for now. and it works good with stock heads.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:59 PM

Thanks for all the advice cammed!

Yikes 8-10 hours is alot. I got a buddy that works on diesels for a living, maybe I can convince him to do it for a few 12 packs haha. You should see his truck, dodge ram running 11's, no juice. It's insane!

Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2005, 11:13 PM

I think what I am going to aim to do is:
CAI
Headers
3.73 Gears ( I am going to need to research more of this but it seems to match the theme of me wanting accleration and not so much 110+ power)
And a Cam once i do a little more research.

Do this sound decent or am I missing anything?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:09 PM

Ditch the flowmaster and with just boltons and a cam a good 3" catback won't cost you much power.