LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Are headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Jlo

Originally Posted by redrider4
I am wondering if headers are worth it on a 94 lt1. Just wondering if they are worth it for the money, installation, and power. I have been looking at the pacesetter longtubes with their y pipe. I am just courious to see if they are worth it for these cars. Any answers are greatly appreciated! thanks....
Yup!! they are worth it.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:41 PM

YES

summit sells copper gaskets get them too, pacesetter coated longtubes!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:57 PM

I gained a few mph in the trap. Enough to put me around the 101 mark. however, my car could not hook up for anything so I can not get you a good number as for qrt. mile.

This job really is no fun to do but, just for the fact that I can change my plugs and wires now in probably a third of the time makes the labor well worth it. Call me crazy but I like to work on my 97.

Not to mention you can't beat the way a V8 sounds with long tubes and true dual exhaust.

~Jim~
Old 12-04-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by z28rp
u cant just install them in your garage, i tried to do this. the engine has to be taken off the mounts and lifter 5 inches to fit the headers, unless your wiling to do this get someone to do it for you. I have the same thing 94 lt1
uh......no way dude ive installed 3 sets and get the aluminum reusable gaskets from autozone i dont like the place much but those are awsome and you usally hafta have em order them

Last edited by JohnnyPappis; 12-04-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:50 PM

Alright cool, Thanks soo much for all the replies everyone of them helped! So do u really need to tune it after u get them on so it runs good? Also are there any other problems to look for or that could happen with installing longtubes? Well I will probably order the pacesetter longtubes not coated with ther y pipe sometime in the spring when its more reasonable weather to put them on. Also does the longtubes with their y pipe bolt right up to the cat? Thanks again...
Old 12-04-2006, 07:58 PM

Alright cool, Thanks soo much for all the replies everyone of them helped! So do u really need to tune it after u get them on so it runs good? Also are there any other problems to look for or that could happen with installing longtubes? Well I will probably order the pacesetter longtubes not coated with ther y pipe sometime in the spring when its more reasonable weather to put them on. Also does the longtubes with their y pipe bolt right up to the cat? Thanks again...

to the original question...YES! headers are a necessity if you plan on doing anything beyond an air intake down the road! I ran 13.5's with mine and I bet I had a bit more left in it!

Just get an LT4 knock module, it should fix any issues and its simply a good thing to have. Try Jason Cromer, he'll get you a good deal. Do a search for more info on him.

You wires could get burnt like mine, but you should be able to get a nice wire kit that drapes it over the valve covers from summit for not much and then use zip ties accordingly. you should probably upgrade your wires while you are at it to be proactive with your cars maintenance.

There are two styles of y-pipes, off road and catted. Off-road has no cats and usually gives you and extra 5-10rwhp, but will make you fail emissions. So you would have to get another y pipe with cats to pass which will cost more. remember, modding your car is not cheap, easy, or reasonable!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 PM

if your ganna get teh pacestters spend the little extra and get them coated. too much work to have them rust out in a few years and have to do it all over again.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 PM

Headers are a "must do" stepping stone mod to anything else after cold air and catback.

There's no question they are worth it, and yes, they can be installed in your garage.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:05 PM

Ok, Well i wasn't planning on doing anything after the headers...Right now i have magnaflow catback and a test pipe, I just rebolt my cat back up when its time for inspection. So if i don't plan on doing anything after headers should i still go ahead and do them anyway?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:09 PM

Hate to be the party crasher, but I don't think you'll pass PA emissions with longtubes. You'll be running an off-road pipe with no cat.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:23 PM

Not being a party crasher at alll...These are the kinda answers i am looking for. But i thought maybe if i got there headers and y pipe that it would bolt up to the stock cat.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:28 PM

Headers are the only bolt on mod besides a supercharger you'll actually feel a difference with. I didn't notice any gain from a CAI, or from a Catback, or roller rockers. The only mod i noticed a real kick in the pants from was the headers. They're also a must if you ever want to go more than bolt ons. If you get you a good set of headers too it can make changing spark plugs a breeze.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:45 PM

it depens on emission laws where you live but you can get a 3" slip on cat then cut the flange off of the catback and mate it to the slip on cat.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:02 AM

Ok, Well i wasn't planning on doing anything after the headers...Right now i have magnaflow catback and a test pipe, I just rebolt my cat back up when its time for inspection. So if i don't plan on doing anything after headers should i still go ahead and do them anyway?
I wasn't going to do anymore than a cold air and catback at some point... look at me now
Old 12-05-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
I wasn't going to do anymore than a cold air and catback at some point... look at me now
Yeah, I thought the same thing as well. Then after the headers, the nitrous kit was next to arrive. Now I'm rounding up parts for an LE2 buildup. It never ends.

Quick Reply: Are headers worth it?