LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Are headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:32 AM

the snowball effect...lol
Old 12-05-2006, 09:46 AM

blah, my brand new shiney pacesetter long tubes have been in my closet in the original shipping box for a year now....I need friends.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:56 AM
01Z

Here's something to think about. Headers are cool and can add 25 hp IF you get the car tuned. Emission testing is what keeps me away from them. Plus, even if they are coated they aren't lifetime daily driver items. Search the threads and see. I can't go long tubes for my LS1 and legal shorties only add 10 hp - more or less. I have nitrous on my LT1 as that's where the money went instead of the tubes. I expect to have n2o on my LS1 in the future. When I want to feel the car rocket - I spray. Otherwise I just have an ordinary fast Z28 that rumbles along with my hooker catback and cutout. If you get serious about building your car then I agree that the headers have to be there first but for a DD you can get a relatively cheap power fix with a small nitrous kit where you won't even care that you don't have headers. If you're going full race then figure out how to get past emissions and do the tubes. Only when I'm out of bolt on things to do with the car and have an extra $450 will I be buying headers. JMO....
Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Yeah my car was originally not going to get anything done to it, and now ALL of my money goes into it. After I drove it for a little while I decided to do some bolt ons, now I want to build the motor. You can never have enough power.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 01Z
Here's something to think about. Headers are cool and can add 25 hp IF you get the car tuned. Emission testing is what keeps me away from them. Plus, even if they are coated they aren't lifetime daily driver items. Search the threads and see. I can't go long tubes for my LS1 and legal shorties only add 10 hp - more or less. I have nitrous on my LT1 as that's where the money went instead of the tubes. I expect to have n2o on my LS1 in the future. When I want to feel the car rocket - I spray. Otherwise I just have an ordinary fast Z28 that rumbles along with my hooker catback and cutout. If you get serious about building your car then I agree that the headers have to be there first but for a DD you can get a relatively cheap power fix with a small nitrous kit where you won't even care that you don't have headers. If you're going full race then figure out how to get past emissions and do the tubes. Only when I'm out of bolt on things to do with the car and have an extra $450 will I be buying headers. JMO....
How much for a cheap nitrous kit? Also i have a cutout in my garage just sittin there, The reason is because i am not sure if it will pass inspection if i put it on. Does anyone know if it passes emissons with a cutout?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:08 AM

Just cap the cut out when you take it in for inspection.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:22 AM

I was just worried about it leaking, also i wasn't sure if they were legal. If i go have it welded on where should i have it welded? Right after the headers and before the cat? Or should i put it on after the cat?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by redrider4
How much for a cheap nitrous kit? Also i have a cutout in my garage just sittin there, The reason is because i am not sure if it will pass inspection if i put it on. Does anyone know if it passes emissons with a cutout?
You can get a basic nitrous kit from anywhere in the 350-500 range. However, if you want to have a safe setup, then all of the extras will easily put you over a grand.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Yeah, I thought the same thing as well. Then after the headers, the nitrous kit was next to arrive. Now I'm rounding up parts for an LE2 buildup. It never ends.
At some point it will end for me. When I'm dead!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 PM

I don't know why everyone is worried about the emissions ***** on here. I'm sure you know someone who would let it pass or have some connections somewhere. I live in WV and there's plenty of guys around here that would let me pass with long tubes without question. The guys I get my sticker from right now don't even go outside until they put in my new sticker.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 01Z
He could really make great gains with even a nice shortie/mid on an LT1. I have SLP mid's on my car and they really woke the car. I remember some guy posting dyno numbers after he added just headers to his CAI, and catback car. Just adding the headers he gained like 20 rwhp. You are comparing LS1 gains to LT1 gains on a header swap which is something you can't do. LS1's have a decent exhaust manifold from the factory. The LT1 exhaust manifold is just pathetic. You also don't need a tune with headers to get any gains. I don't know where all you guys are getting this. When i first did my headers about 5 years ago no one did a tune with headers and we all still made great gains. The headers can and will last as long as your car if you get the right kind. My SLP's are stainless steel and are also coated and they aren't rusting or flaking off coating either. Mine are in the exact same shape as when i bought them used 5 years ago, and my is a daily driver. To me this is another reason not to go long tubes because they're all mild steel and look like crap after a few years. I'd also feel much safer to do headers over nitrous.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
He could really make great gains with even a nice shortie/mid on an LT1. I have SLP mid's on my car and they really woke the car. I remember some guy posting dyno numbers after he added just headers to his CAI, and catback car. Just adding the headers he gained like 20 rwhp. You are comparing LS1 gains to LT1 gains on a header swap which is something you can't do. LS1's have a decent exhaust manifold from the factory. The LT1 exhaust manifold is just pathetic. You also don't need a tune with headers to get any gains. I don't know where all you guys are getting this. When i first did my headers about 5 years ago no one did a tune with headers and we all still made great gains. The headers can and will last as long as your car if you get the right kind. My SLP's are stainless steel and are also coated and they aren't rusting or flaking off coating either. Mine are in the exact same shape as when i bought them used 5 years ago, and my is a daily driver. To me this is another reason not to go long tubes because they're all mild steel and look like crap after a few years. I'd also feel much safer to do headers over nitrous.
thanks for the reassuring i just ordered some MAC mids yesterday and i can't wait for them to get here
Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 01Z
I think you need to do some more research. A pare of mids; RK sports, A.S.&M., or SLP's, will produce almost the same HP as LT's, and are missions legal, and being stainless will last a very long time.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
I think you need to do some more research. A pare of mids; RK sports, A.S.&M., or SLP's, will produce almost the same HP as LT's, and are missions legal, and being stainless will last a very long time.
and thank you too! haha i was beginning do doubt spending so much on mid-length headers for my LT1. i'm guessing you just left out MAC from the list? those are the ones i ordered and i can't wait for them to get here. i went with the mid-length for emissions and i'm going to get a tune from madz28 or pcmforless afterwards
Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 PM

Yes. Especially if you plan on any other mods later. Anything that makes the engine breath better is a good thing. However I will go against the grain and say don't go with Pacesetter. I tried the Pacesetter shorties and they were a nightmare. Nothing lined up right from the start including emissions hookups, to the flanges being crooked. I had to do a good bit of work to get mine to work right without header leaks.

I ended up switching to RKsport and TO ME it was night/day difference. It's more expensive but was worth it to me. Installed perfectly, everything lined up, and no leaks.

Quick Reply: Are headers worth it?