LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Are headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 PM

Longtubes are easier to install than poly motor mounts.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:58 PM

Longtubes all the way....if u r gonna do it...do it big.... this spring once the weather is nice im gonna install coated pacesetter longtubes and a true dual system x-pipe dumped thats sittin in my garage right now

and tot he guy who said he went 13.5 just on longtubes..... that gives me hope....my goal is 13.5 once my new exhaust setup is complete!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:36 PM

jsetzer, You say headers are easier than poly mounts, but would poly mounts take me 2 days like my headers did?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:02 PM

headers are very worth it, get LTs if at all possible. And about installing them... everyone here seems to complain about jacking the motor off the mount. If i had to do my header install again I would do that right off the bat. Unmounting the engine is surprisingly easy, and it allowed the header to slide into place in 3 seconds. Unmounting and remounting the engine only took me about a half hour extra work per side. Considering it works without a doubt, thats a lot easier than trying to wedge the damn things in there from every possible angle you can concieve.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM

Headers are worth it. So is doing your homework on emissions before spending time and money on something that may have to be undone. We're in the same County and I know they can be tough. Talk to whoever does your inspections to see what they will tolerate. You can still modify your car, just be sure to only spend your money once. I'd stick with SLP's headers. They're stainless and legal. Placement of your cat and brand of said cat is something you want to clear up with the emissions guys beforehand. Try and deal with a shop that speaks performance. They're usually more sensible about this stuff. Good luck with your research. Paul
Old 12-05-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by paul463
Headers are worth it. So is doing your homework on emissions before spending time and money on something that may have to be undone. We're in the same County and I know they can be tough. Talk to whoever does your inspections to see what they will tolerate. You can still modify your car, just be sure to only spend your money once. I'd stick with SLP's headers. They're stainless and legal. Placement of your cat and brand of said cat is something you want to clear up with the emissions guys beforehand. Try and deal with a shop that speaks performance. They're usually more sensible about this stuff. Good luck with your research. Paul
Thanks alot man!! Also thanks to everyone else that has posted in hear, all the info has helped alot!!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 AM
01Z

Originally Posted by Z95m6
He could really make great gains with even a nice shortie/mid on an LT1. I have SLP mid's on my car and they really woke the car. I remember some guy posting dyno numbers after he added just headers to his CAI, and catback car. Just adding the headers he gained like 20 rwhp. You are comparing LS1 gains to LT1 gains on a header swap which is something you can't do. LS1's have a decent exhaust manifold from the factory. The LT1 exhaust manifold is just pathetic. You also don't need a tune with headers to get any gains. I don't know where all you guys are getting this. When i first did my headers about 5 years ago no one did a tune with headers and we all still made great gains. The headers can and will last as long as your car if you get the right kind. My SLP's are stainless steel and are also coated and they aren't rusting or flaking off coating either. Mine are in the exact same shape as when i bought them used 5 years ago, and my is a daily driver. To me this is another reason not to go long tubes because they're all mild steel and look like crap after a few years. I'd also feel much safer to do headers over nitrous.
I respect your insight on this but need to see what the SLP mid length stainless headers cost you and how much gain you got without tuning for the headers. As with almost all modifications to the powertrain something is traded for the performance. I'm not against headers by no means and if I found a great deal on SS mids I would jump on it but I think people who have installed them have accomplished something out of the ordinary and fall in love with them; not unlike a clean nitrous installation for me. Which brings up the safety issue. There's no argument about feeling safer with a header install over a 150 hp nitrous kit but then we're comparing apples to rocket fuel.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 01Z
I respect your insight on this but need to see what the SLP mid length stainless headers cost you and how much gain you got without tuning for the headers. As with almost all modifications to the powertrain something is traded for the performance. I'm not against headers by no means and if I found a great deal on SS mids I would jump on it but I think people who have installed them have accomplished something out of the ordinary and fall in love with them; not unlike a clean nitrous installation for me. Which brings up the safety issue. There's no argument about feeling safer with a header install over a 150 hp nitrous kit but then we're comparing apples to rocket fuel.
I never got a "tune" for my car after the headers. I have a tune on my car now after i did heads and cam. I still felt a pretty big gain with the addition of headers. The tune is totally not necessary to receive awesome gains from headers. I actually had an extra set of SLP's that i sold a local guy to put on his 93 Z28. He gained 3 mph in the quarter just adding them and new plug wires. If you've ever seen what an LT1 has to breathe through compared to an LS1 it would be obvious why they're are such gains.
LS1

LT1