LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

heads/BRE cam not right??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:09 PM

Re: heads/BRE cam not right??

Originally Posted by mad scientist
Yeah, I only have about 8 years in it...
Trump card played.......

That's going to lose you respect around here quite quickly.....

I have ten + years is my trump better.......

Last edited by jimbob65; 09-06-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 PM

there is really no need to turn this into something it isn't. Back on topic I understand where 1racerdude is coming from with the cam causing the surge. I misunderstood the first time through as well. But now I get what he is saying, and he is absolutely right. But as stated surging was not the issue here at all, it was more like a misfire problem from about 2k-3500. After finding the bad coil the problem still persisted so thats when we decided on an injector swap. All seems to be good now, just needs to be re-tuned. Which we can handle just fine. On a side note mail order tunes are ok for some people, but I prefer all our stuff done in house (which it is, and will remain). There is no way I will be convinced that a mail order tune will perform anywhere close to our wideband tunes. For the obvious reasons.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:09 AM

It shouldn't be too much tuning should it? After you swap the injectors, the injector constant has to be changed, which should bring the tune pretty close. Am I correct in thinking this?

Let us know how the car runs after it's zeroed in on the wideband.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetred95ta
It shouldn't be too much tuning should it? After you swap the injectors, the injector constant has to be changed, which should bring the tune pretty close. Am I correct in thinking this?

Let us know how the car runs after it's zeroed in on the wideband.
Actually its gonna have the reverse effect on the VE tables. Since so much fuel had to be pulled out to achieve the correct afr to begin with now it will be super lean with the injectors being half the size that they were. The constant was changed and we made a quick run to check things out and it has lean spikes everywhere, but it was 100% smoother than before.

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-07-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Banned

Sounds like the coil was part of it....

As for cam surge, which he doesn't really have it's partially related to overlap because overlap is not good at producing low speed high vacuum TQ. Overlap has been the main cuplrit because most people get overlap by putting too much duration in the cam and thats even worse for low rpm high vacuum conditions.

Bret

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-07-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I only have about 8 years in it...
Welcome to CamaroZ28.com

If you want to contribute to a thread, please feel free to do so. If you want to flame and argue, look somewhere else.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:23 AM

(and replace their work all the time).
Doubt that.... that being said, my BRE cam'd car with a pcmforless tune runs fine (great actually).

Go figure 'eh?

I have a tiny bit of surge in the lower 2000 rpm range, but like LR said, I just drive around it Might be able to get rid of some of it if I send the logs back to Bryan to take a look at it.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Doubt that.... that being said, my BRE cam'd car with a pcmforless tune runs fine (great actually).

Go figure 'eh?

I have a tiny bit of surge in the lower 2000 rpm range, but like LR said, I just drive around it Might be able to get rid of some of it if I send the logs back to Bryan to take a look at it.
To think that a mailorder tune cant be improved would be naive. I had 6 degrees of KR and the A/F was never right on my tunes and I had a ton of cam surge...but its mailorder so no biggy.

Just by playing with the fuel on the dyno I gained 15rwhp/17rwtq (over 30rwtq from 2400-3000rpm). That was with still having 6 degrees of KR. I got rid of that on the street and eliminted cam surge as well.

I dont know why everyone is getting on the tuner here, sounds like components failure to me (leaky injectors).
Old 09-07-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
To think that a mailorder tune cant be improved would be naive.
I agree.

I dont know why everyone is getting on the tuner here, sounds like components failure to me (leaky injectors).
I agree on this as well. I don't even know why surging or the competency of the tuner were even brought up.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Who did the heads? Are they stock LT1 castings or aftermarket?

Have you taken it to the track to know that it is "a low 13 sec car"?

How "reputable" is the "local" tuner? Was it a dyno tune? If it was, why would you not know the HP? If he didn't dyno tune it, how did he tune it?

"CID" = cubic inch displacement

From the original post:

Tuning was done by a local reputable tuner.

READ the thread
Post LIKE THIS were WHY it was brought up.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetred95ta
I agree.

I agree on this as well. I don't even know why surging or the competency of the tuner were even brought up.
I agree with your agree's.

Every car has a personality and unless it's just very basic mods, it's impossible to remotely tune a car. You can get it close, but you will never replace a hands on tune. I've not seen one yet that couldn't be improved upon; but I also seen basic mods and small common cam (like the hot cam) tunes were the effort to improve; was just not worth the effort.

Also not a lot of tuners tune for drivability. To tune for drivability, you must drive the car instead of a few runs on the dyno which most do. The vast majority just slap it on the dyno and away ya go.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Denny McLain
The vast majority just slap it on the dyno and away ya go.
I've had that done to me. It cost lots of change, and I couldn't even get the car started when I got it home (tuned for hot conditions on the dyno and it was cold when I got it home). I won't make that mistake again.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
From the original post:

Tuning was done by a local reputable tuner.

READ the thread
Post LIKE THIS were WHY it was brought up.
If you read the following post, which I made, I confirmed that he was reputable. I also didn't see anything about surging, anywhere.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:21 AM

To think that a mailorder tune cant be improved would be naive. I had 6 degrees of KR and the A/F was never right on my tunes and I had a ton of cam surge...but its mailorder so no biggy.
I *never* said that, so please don't quote me as having said such. I have every intention in the world to dyno-tune my car in the future by most likely Jeremy Formato on Florida's west coast.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brokeTA
The car idles just fine. Starts up just fine. There is nothing mechanically wrong at all. I am thinking an injector problem myself. The car seems to load up when idleing. When you hit the throttle quickly at first it seems to cutout, but after doing this it clears up and is fine. Would also explain the erratic cruising at 2500-3000. There is no exhaust leaks that I'm aware of, but is something to look into. The car is not using the o2's and is a speed density tune as well. Rockers are adjusted to 1/4 turn. Also stock lifters. Another point to make as well.... The intake is not ported in anyway, and is also using stock throttle body. To me this is a slight restriction on a heavily ported head (at least the intake).
If thats not a reference to a possible surge,then I don't know what is.
Like I said:
Read the thread

Quick Reply: heads/BRE cam not right??