LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Heads and cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM

Heads and cam

So i know it would be better to get a head and cam package together but installing the cam looks like it is a bit out of my league. how hard is it to install different heads?? other than whats in my sig my cars engine is stock. will it be safe on the engine to even have different heads installed? would i need other upgrades to go along with that? thanks guys
Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 PM

Re: Heads and cam

Heads & cam upgrades should be a matched set. What good is opening the valves more if it won't flow and what good is more flow if the valves don't open more??? If you got the heads off, then doing the cam is the added hassle of removing the radiator and AC condenser and then removing the damper (which can be a pain) and the distributor. Niether job is really harder than the other - both kinda suck. Rest assured that thousands have done it before you, so if you wanna use more gas and go faster, then do ported heads (don't forget the valve train) and do the cam.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 PM

If you're looking for a substantial increase in power from one or the other I would def choose cam.. Popping ported heads on a factory cam motor won't be a very big gain as they will far outflow the factory camshaft and not be a great match.. Big question is what mods have you done so far? If you haven't done the usual bolt on's (CAI, Longtubes, Exhaust, Tune, gears Etc..) than I wouldn't even be considering heads, cam, or heads & cam.. There is a lot to do in preparation for such a big project in order to get the most out of your heads/cam package.. Start by posting what if anything you've done to the car so far and we can give you some suggestions from there..
Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 PM

well... your mods are clearly listed in your signature.. ha! I should have looked before posting.. My apologies
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Banned

Is this a daily driver? I found the head and cam swap pretty easy. With the advent of Google everyone can be a professor.

Last edited by Shangrila; 06-27-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 PM

Probably the best question is whats your budget? and whats your goals? Might also want to include if it will be a daily driver, track car, both, etc. If you can afford it doing it all at once (and any supporting mods) is the way to go. The problem is then is it feesable to go through the bottom end too lol and I should just replace this too because it will be easier now and pretty much you open up the money pit lol.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 PM

yeah its my daily driver, i bought it with current mods already done. i already want more power, probably doesnt help that my mom has a 2010 SS. hers is freakin fast but it didnt blow mine away like i thought it would. but yes i will be driving it all the time, and my budget for now is looking to be around 2000. i figured it would be better to heads and cam together, but i was worried i wouldnt be able to do it myself. i really didnt wanna have to pay someone 40-60 bucks an hour to do it.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM

I havent ever really given it much thought where I want this car to go as far as power is concerned. i want to be able to drive it everyday. maybe 400hp at the most? i mean its fast now guys. when i take off from a dead stop this thing doesnt spin out, i mean it grabs pavement and cruises on.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:03 AM
Banned

Well, 2000 can get you a port job and a cam, but then you will need lifters (if bad), (rockers optional), injectors, pcm tune, head gasket kit, arp head bolts. So just go to Summit or Jegs and start adding up the price, 3000 might be a little more realistic. It cost me around 5000, but I started from scratch without any bolt-on. Still cheaper then a new Camaro or Mustang and much faster, I like to see these guys faces when they lose to a 95.
The alternative at this point for you might be just to add a NOS kit

Last edited by Shangrila; 06-28-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:48 PM

The le1 heads and cam I think is about 1100, injectors,200, I dont know the price for a ported stock tb and dont know what the tb opening on manifold is, 200 for the tune, bolts and gaskets. That right there is $2000+. Chances are a few other things may need some attention or repair and also fluids. Good rr $300. may need lifters and pushrods. If your not in a hurry you can watch the for sale sections in the lt forums and get good deals on the parts. Sometimes even the heads cam package will show up. As said above $3000 is a more realistic budget. N2o (nos does not mean nitrous its just a brand name) is definately an option in that budget but take it from someone who has had both I would take the heads cam any day. With the n2o you have to pay every time you fill the bottle. There is also no alot of fill stations so you may need multiple bottles. Often you need to freeze the bottle overnight or leave it at the fill station all day or overnight. Its not cheap either and in time the cost of the n2o adds up. Then performance suffers if you dont run a bottle heater or pusher system once you are at half tank or so or in colder weather or when making hotlaps or back to back runs.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Banned

TB is optional for his HP range unless he was talking about rwhp and even then I hit that with a stock 48mm TB. Back in the day we didn't have bottle warmers and the nos worked well, with the stock motor you wont spray more then 100-125 anyways. I had a 86 TPI Iroc Z that had a 100 shot on it and I loved it, it's true filling can be a pain but if you have two bottles it's not so bad and don't listen to anyone who says "bottle are for babies" =) because they are just mad you blow them away.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:40 PM

So I contacted Lloyd Elliot and they have recommended the LE2 heads and a 224/230 .573/.568 112 LSA cam. My question is with my current mods and this set up from those guys what kind of horsepower could I be looking at?? Without doing anything else unless I have to, meaning injectors, rockers, throttle body
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 PM

370 rwhp (give or take 30 hp depending on tune and supporting mods)

Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 AM

I just got the LE2 head package w/ a 223/231 .610/.594 112 LSA cam ported intake, Ultra pro mag roller rockers, pushrods, Set of pacesetters long tubes high flow cats.. Its very doable if you take you time and lots of pictures. Little stuff adds up my opti is newer so I just changed the water pump, timing chain, head, header, intake, egr gaskets, plugs, wires..some Had to cut the stock valve covers for clearance. Couple of oil changes, few tubes of sealants I didn’t have, paint, I painted the intake to look like the LT4.. Lloyd recommended talking to the tuner about injectors and Throttle body. They recommended using stock throttle body and 42LB ford green tops..I totally took our time w/ this working w/ my 18 year old son when we had a chance.. started in early spring and just fired up for the 1st time in the drive way.. Started up and ran strong. It was nice to have some down time while the heads were out.. We put new poly motor and transmission mounts in and detailed the engine bay.I lost track of the money a while ago. I have to move some wire harnesses away from the headers and wire tie some other lines and wires. Hope to be back on the road Wed or Thr for the weekend and drop off at the Tuner on Monday for a dyno tune. At first I was thinking just a cam then got talked into headers and a tune 1st.. After running the costs and work involved in a phased project I opted to get the engine running storng then I can concentrate on suspension and drive train next. I plan of have dyno results next week and will post them.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by TaskForce141
So I contacted Lloyd Elliot and they have recommended the LE2 heads and a 224/230 .573/.568 112 LSA cam. My question is with my current mods and this set up from those guys what kind of horsepower could I be looking at?? Without doing anything else unless I have to, meaning injectors, rockers, throttle body
It's hard to beat Lloyd's bang for the buck. LE2 heads have alot of potential. HP levels are on Lloyd's website, you can definitely go beyond what he claims if you plan things right.