LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Heads and a Cam or Vortech Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:34 PM

Heads and a Cam or Vortech Supercharger?

Hello. I am submitting this question for a friend of mine. He has the following:

1995 Pontiac TransAm
6-speed
3.73s
Borla Exhaust
Hypertech Programer
K&N Cold Air Kit

Car has about 50,000 miles on it. He rarely drives it, so it would be more of a weekend crusier car, not a daily driver.

He wants to do some modifications to his car to get aroud 400-425hp. He was debating between the LT4 Heads (or a suitable aftermarket set-up) and a cam, or installing a Vortech Supercharger. I initially suggested a 9psi Vortech since that's about the only way to wake up a mod-motor Ford, but after doing some research, it appears as if the LT4 Heads + "Hot Cam" combination is quite potent.

I'm a Ford guy, and know a little about LS1s (I had a 2004 GTO), but am not up to speed on LT1s. The only thing I really know about them is that the opti-spark distributors seem to be a problem, and they have a reverse cooling system.

I assume the computer will have to be retuned with the heads and cam set up. Is this something that can be supplied by an aftermarket tuner, or is it a custom job that will need to be done somewhere? Are there any pitfalls common with either one of these (besides frequent rear tire changes and speeding tickets)? Also, is it better to install a true-dual exhaust set up at this power level, or are headers and the stock 2-into-1 Y-pipe set up acceptable?

Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 3v281cid
Hello. I am submitting this question for a friend of mine. He has the following:

1995 Pontiac TransAm
6-speed
3.73s
Borla Exhaust
Hypertech Programer
K&N Cold Air Kit

Car has about 50,000 miles on it. He rarely drives it, so it would be more of a weekend crusier car, not a daily driver.

He wants to do some modifications to his car to get aroud 400-425hp. He was debating between the LT4 Heads (or a suitable aftermarket set-up) and a cam, or installing a Vortech Supercharger. I initially suggested a 9psi Vortech since that's about the only way to wake up a mod-motor Ford, but after doing some research, it appears as if the LT4 Heads + "Hot Cam" combination is quite potent.

I'm a Ford guy, and know a little about LS1s (I had a 2004 GTO), but am not up to speed on LT1s. The only thing I really know about them is that the opti-spark distributors seem to be a problem, and they have a reverse cooling system.

I assume the computer will have to be retuned with the heads and cam set up. Is this something that can be supplied by an aftermarket tuner, or is it a custom job that will need to be done somewhere? Are there any pitfalls common with either one of these (besides frequent rear tire changes and speeding tickets)? Also, is it better to install a true-dual exhaust set up at this power level, or are headers and the stock 2-into-1 Y-pipe set up acceptable?

Thanks again.

He can probably get close to that with LLoyd Elliots LE2 h/c package. He would have to add a few more supporting mods like long tube headers, electric water pump, bigger injectors and an after market ignition. True duals arent necessary but they would make it sound alot better and porbably help a little bit.
There are a couple vendors on this site that will program the PCM. The vortech kits will cost around 4-5k and around $1800 for the LE2 package.He will also have to add acouple more mods and the pice of tuning for both applications.
Vortech superchargers can put up some pretty good numbers but if 400hp is all he want i would do the h/c package. Heres LLoyd's website http://www.eportworks.com/
Old 03-24-2007, 11:31 AM

A couple advantages of the forced induction setup is that it is pretty easy to install and doesn't require tearing apart the motor. Also, a forced induction setup can make some insane power numbers, but of course, other factors will then need to be considered such as an upgraded shortblock, fuel system, ect. The kits can become pricey though and depending how extreme you go, you can sink an easy 20 grand into the the motor. A heads/cam package will also very easily get him to his goals and does not necessarily require LT4 heads. As mentioned above, www.eportworks.com can do some amazing things with stock LT1 castings and can get you setup with a good cam as well, all while being budget friendly.