LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

heads are done...but engine feels "tight"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 08:55 PM

Arrow heads are done...but engine feels "tight"

i just had my heads re-worked, Z28 springs, 1.6 mag, roller rockers...i did shoeboxs' method of seting them at zero lash, then 1/2 past...but i dont think that, that is my problem.

car starts right up, and runs ok...but has a slight miss all the way through the power band, it doesnt miss out, and revs fine up to 6200rpm, but seems to be something like a spark-plug going bad, or just something simple.

my question is could a vacum line or one of the lines on the intake hooked up in a wrong spot, could that cause the "slight miss" but its not really a miss.

i guess its kinda hard to explain, but any idea would be greatly appricated.

i know its not the opti, or plug wires, and it throws no codes...but i wont rule out the spark plugs...but it doesnt seem like a spark plug

if you would please tell me what you come up with, witht aht info provided.

thanks for your time,
steven pemberton
Old 12-01-2003, 09:10 PM

another possibility.

if the spark plug wires were to be crossed...would it run like that? or no...i mean it has so slight of a miss, but yet its there...and its about 10mph slower in my "4 telephone pole method" run that i do.

im stumped!

steve-o
Old 12-01-2003, 09:16 PM

Well yes that would definately make it miss. But if i were you i would double check to see if you have your rockers a little too tight. Ive had that happen before. I would go no more than 1/4 turn after the clicking stops...good luck
Old 12-01-2003, 10:16 PM

I assume when you say "crossed" you mean plug wire 6 is on 8 and 8 is on 6 and so on. That would definately be a problem. Basically I would go from the most cheapest on up when checking. How old are those plugs?? You never mentioned if you got new ones. I would try those first. How do you know its not the Opti and wires? Just curious my man. From what your saying it could be a lot of things. I would definately go for the plugfs first.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:19 PM

well i really dont know if my opti is bad or not..but im sayin its fine, because i have no sign of a failing opti and what not...i replaced the plugs about 4,000 miles ago.

but i think that the rockers are too tight! i did a search for an hour or so and i kept finding the same exact signs and descriptions of rockers being "too tight"

thanks for your time,
steve