LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Heat problem in 95 Z28, NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 PM

Heat problem in 95 Z28, NEED HELP!!!

Hey everybody. I got a 95 Z28 with no heat. I've had this car for a little more than a week so I don't know a lot about it besides it has no heat, a few minor electrical problems and needs a nice paint job. At first I thought it was the heater core and thermostat. I changed the thermostat and no heat, Flushed the core and still no heat. Now I stopped by a local car dealership who had some trans am's and camaro's with LT1's and I noticed something wrong about the picture. There is a line coming from one of the radiator hoses to the intake that is actually bolted off on mine. I have pictures. If you guys could tell me if this could be a major problem with the heat and know what the line is actually for that would help out a ton. Now I know by looking at it that it should not be blocked off with a bolt and silicone but the car runs fine. Please take a look at the pictures and tell me if you know what it is.

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 02-27-2008, 05:12 PM

That is the heater lines or more correctly the feed for the coolant to keep the throttle body from icing in cold weather. Some knuckle heads think it heats up the incoming air and therefore you don't get enough air into the combustion chamber. They do a bypass that puts the input and return together so the flow that would normally go to it then goes around it.

What you have there is referred to as an abortion. You'de best put the input to the output which you don't have pictured
Old 02-27-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
That is the heater lines or more correctly the feed for the coolant to keep the throttle body from icing in cold weather. Some knuckle heads think it heats up the incoming air and therefore you don't get enough air into the combustion chamber. They do a bypass that puts the input and return together so the flow that would normally go to it then goes around it.

What you have there is referred to as an abortion. You'de best put the input to the output which you don't have pictured
could this be the reason for no heat?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 PM

look up "throttle body bypass" to see how that mess is supposed to be done.

As for no heat, I've read ton's of posts about 160 degree thermostats not being enuf to allow the car to generate any heat.

I was also going to mention to make sure that the hoses that go to the heater core are actually routed THRU it. I had a van "back in the day" where the heater core developed a leak and bypassed the heater core before I sold it... in summer :-)
Old 02-27-2008, 06:13 PM

This is how a throttle body bypass is supposed to look like (courtesy of shoebox):
http://shbox.com/1/tb_bypass.jpg

Here is a diagram of your heater hoses:
http://shbox.com/1/heater_hoses.jpg

Here is a diagram of your radiator hoses:
http://shbox.com/1/95-97_hoses.jpg

The bypass goes to the steam pipe which connects to the back of your heads. I don't think this should not affect your heat. But if the smart guy who had the car before you did something like that, who knows what else might be messed up. Check the diagrams and make sure nothing else is awry. Good luck.