LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:50 PM

Help!!!

I have a 1994 T/A stock yesterday after work I got in it and started it.....I turn the key and it cranks and cranks,but doesn't start,any ideas?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:36 PM

Re: Help!!!

Can you hear your fuel pump when you turn the key to start. If not, there is your answer. If you can hear it, try to get a fuel pressure reading. Could also be a spark issue.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Check basics-spark and fuel pressure (with a gauge).
Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 PM

Jcl69cam: I can hear the fuel pump prime.Thank You for your response.

Shoebox: What ways can I got about checking for a spark?. Any help I will greatly appreciate.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Basic stuff. Pull a plug wire and hold it where the metal contact is close to a good ground and see if it has a good, blue arc when cranking. Use some insulated wire pliers if you are concerned about getting shocked (hold by the insulation or boot-not by the metal part). A spark plug with it's body grounded can also be used. The coil wire can be checked in a similar manner, but you won't be able to attach a spark plug on the opti end of the coil wire.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Basic stuff. Pull a plug wire and hold it where the metal contact is close to a good ground and see if it has a good, blue arc when cranking. Use some insulated wire pliers if you are concerned about getting shocked (hold by the insulation or boot-not by the metal part). A spark plug with it's body grounded can also be used. The coil wire can be checked in a similar manner, but you won't be able to attach a spark plug on the opti end of the coil wire.
Thank You I'll try that.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 AM

How was the car running before this happened? Is or has the ses light been on? Is be more inclined to think cam or crank sensor if you have fuel... But that's if tested for pressure at the port.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kwik_ta
How was the car running before this happened? Is or has the ses light been on? Is be more inclined to think cam or crank sensor if you have fuel... But that's if tested for pressure at the port.
No crank position sensor on his 95. The cam position sensor is the optical module in the Optispark distributor. If it fails, it will set one or two codes (DTC 16 and DTC 36), but neither of those codes will turn on the SES light. DTC 16 prevents the engine from starting by shutting down the fuel system - pump and injectors.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by kwik_ta
The car was running fine. Hopped in it started up and drove it to work with no problem. When I got off of work to drive home it would not start,it would crank hard,but it wouldn't and hasn't started since (will still crank).

Pulled the spark plug and I dont see a spark.....so what do I do now?...new Opti?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Toukijin
The car was running fine. Hopped in it started up and drove it to work with no problem. When I got off of work to drive home it would not start,it would crank hard,but it wouldn't and hasn't started since (will still crank).

Pulled the spark plug and I dont see a spark.....so what do I do now?...new Opti?
Did you also check the coil wire? Have you ever checked for any trouble codes? Read the opti diagnosis sticky at the top of the forum before replacing the opti.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Did you also check the coil wire? Have you ever checked for any trouble codes? Read the opti diagnosis sticky at the top of the forum before replacing the opti.
No I haven't checked for any trouble codes. I need a scanner for that right?. Is it possible to rent one? I did not check the coil wire I'll do that int he morning....
Old 11-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator

You need an OBD-I scanner, and not one of the $30 cheapies that simply shorts the pins in the ALDL connector. That won't work after 1993.

You can also get a cable for a laptop and free scanning software:

http://www.akmcables.com/

http://www.andywhittaker.com/ECU/Fre...0/Default.aspx

DataMaster is free download, and 20 free uses. Then you have to buy it.

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataMaster.html