LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help! Broke a wheel stud...Need help with replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 01:24 PM

Exclamation Help! Broke a wheel stud...Need help with replacement!

Well I was taking off one of my slashed tires and a lug got cross-threaded and I broke off the stud.

This is on the back.

So I tapped out what is left of the stud, and it's loose, but I can't get it out. There is a gear lookin thing behind it and I can't get the stud piece out past that. And I sure can't see how the new stud is going to fit in there past that.

What am I missing???

Please help me out here!

Thanks,
Eric
Old 04-19-2003, 01:58 PM

ive broken 2 so far, i dont remember havin any problems, keep workin on it youll get it!!
Old 04-19-2003, 01:58 PM
mike95z28

Same thing happened to me when I over-torqued the wheel stud. This was back when I torqued my wheels w/ an impact gun (BAD IDEA). Since then I now use a torque wrench.

Anyway.. you should be able to hammer out the old one and it SHOULD just fall out. You might want to yank the brake rotor for more clearance.

Anyway.. just slide a new one into place, put the rim on, torque down the wheels properly and the new stud should pull itself into place.

If you don't like that idea.. what I would do is pull in the new stud, put 3-4 washers over it, put the lug nut on and tighten it w/ a regular ratchet/socket combo. It should be snug into place. Then remove the washers, put the rim on, and proceed to the paragraph above.

Old 04-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mike95z28
Same thing happened to me when I over-torqued the wheel stud. This was back when I torqued my wheels w/ an impact gun (BAD IDEA). Since then I now use a torque wrench.

Anyway.. you should be able to hammer out the old one and it SHOULD just fall out. You might want to yank the brake rotor for more clearance.

Anyway.. just slide a new one into place, put the rim on, torque down the wheels properly and the new stud should pull itself into place.

If you don't like that idea.. what I would do is pull in the new stud, put 3-4 washers over it, put the lug nut on and tighten it w/ a regular ratchet/socket combo. It should be snug into place. Then remove the washers, put the rim on, and proceed to the paragraph above.
the gear looking thing is an exciter ring for the ASR (traction control) I bet you have ASR right?

You need to take the axel out and then replace it.

good luck

I've been staring at the exciter ring's blue print on the 2005 F-series luckily we had the forsight to position it to where you can remove it without removing the axel.

edit:
please email me info regarding those headlights

Last edited by treyZ28; 04-19-2003 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by mike95z28

Mike's got it, just follow his directions. Alot of us have done this, just have to muscle through it.