LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP! Car is starting to hesitate a little bit

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:01 PM

HELP! Car is starting to hesitate a little bit

Hey guys. i have a 95 camaro z28 m6. today i was driving to work about a 25 min drive in stop and go traffic and after the car warmed up a bit i go to take off and my car started sputtering. in every gear. it sputters/hesitates a little bit not a lot but u can feel it. it only does it when the car is warmed up and on light throttle around 1500-2500 rpms. when i give it mid throttle or WOT it doesnt hesitate at all at any rpm. but i always drive slow and dont drive the dog **** out of my car so i always drive with light throttle and just go through my gears. today is the first day my car has ever hesitated since i have had it about a year and half now. i do still have my slow starting in the mornings or after it has been sitting for a few hours i was going to buy a new starter but i havent gotten a chance to yet. now im thinking it is a fuel related problem. i hope that it is not my fuel pump. do u guys think its my injectors. i need to get a fuel filter and i will do that tom and hopefully that will fix it. it is real light hesitation sputter. not jerking and bouncing the car but a little bit that u can feel. i hope its just my fuel filter and not my pump. it only does it when the car is warmed up to normal operating temp. with my 160 stat it is at about 170-175. i just got back from work and it did it again. today is the first day it has done anything like this. help me out please thanks!
Old 08-28-2004, 12:06 AM

Re: HELP! Car is starting to hesitate a little bit

anybody have any ideas at all? thanks
Old 08-28-2004, 12:14 AM

My car did the exact same thing with the sputtering when warm and low rpm's. Ran fine above 2k rpms. My was cured when I replaced the o2 sensors. A lot of times its the opti but the o2's are cheaper and easier to replace. As far a slow starting my car does that to And I think that is a fuel related problem also.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:19 AM

I have the same problem pretty much. Hesitates pretty badly in all gears and neutral between 1500-2100 RPM (2.73 Gears A4). It's been doing this for about 2 weeks now and I can't figure this out. I've done searches that list many possibilities but no REAL solution. I tightened down my header bolts since they were just installed a few weeks back and a few were loose. I hoped this would fix it, but it didn't. I checked the MAF to make sure it was clean, which it was. Somebody at work told me it might be a dirty throttle body plate(?) and he said he would help me clean it. Hopefully that'll work. I'm guessing it is a fuel related issue if this doesn't fix it. I also want to check my TPS because that can cause problems like what you and I are experiencing. I think our fuel filters have a bypass anyway, in case it gets clogged. That makes me doubt the filter. Hope someone can chime in with other solutions.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:23 AM

my money is on O2 sensor before cat

change that and fuel filter- bet it cures it
Old 08-28-2004, 12:23 AM

I have a Jet Hot Y on my car, and it is right under a plate that holds up the fuel and brake lines(so close it knocks on the bolt under +50% throttle). Could this cause the problem? If not, what else can result from this?
Old 08-28-2004, 12:39 AM

wouldnt an o2 throw a code and an ses light though? i dont have any ses lights, thecar runs fine and inormal temperature and so forth. the car doesnt run rough when idling or anything either. it just hesitates a bit at partial/light throttle b/w 1500-2500 rpms. i will hopefully be changing the fuel filter out this weeekend and check on the o2s anyway to check those at all? thanks for all the suggestionons it has been a great help.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:57 AM

I think the fuel filter in our car and most cars has a bypass, so it probably isn't the fuel filter.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:04 AM

you should still keep a clean filter in the car....... just because it has a bypass, why use it? last resort methods should be left as what they are.... last resorts... maybe GM wrigged something to let you know when the bypass is in use? maybe a smaller line, or a different fuel inlet spot to allow for sputtering? hell i dunno, sounds like something GM would do.... hell they make the rest of the car run like **** to tell you that you had a slightly higher than normal reading on an O2 bank..... computer driven cars are a trip... you never know how they set em up... i think automatic transmissions will always be magic to me... god only knows how they do it....
Old 08-28-2004, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ZeeDub
you should still keep a clean filter in the car....... just because it has a bypass, why use it? last resort methods should be left as what they are.... last resorts... maybe GM wrigged something to let you know when the bypass is in use? maybe a smaller line, or a different fuel inlet spot to allow for sputtering? hell i dunno, sounds like something GM would do.... hell they make the rest of the car run like **** to tell you that you had a slightly higher than normal reading on an O2 bank..... computer driven cars are a trip... you never know how they set em up... i think automatic transmissions will always be magic to me... god only knows how they do it....
yea i will hopefully be getting that done this weekend and fix it. i really hope taht could be it. that is a symptom of a clogged fuel filter thought right? that it can cause slight hesitation at light throttle? if it is clogged wouldnt it do it at WOT also? cuz it does not hesitate at all during wot or medium throttle.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:34 AM

Yeah, I would think it would hesitate throughout the entire RPM range. If the bypass were in use, I doubt you would even know it. I'm not sure if a code would be thrown then, but i doubt that as well. Maybe worse gas mileage would be the result of that since the fuel wouldn't be cleaned up. Let me know if it helps at all.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:08 PM

This is my problem exactly.

Take a look at my thread, which is the largest thread in all of the General F-Body Tech board, "Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl." There is over 70 replies in its five pages and 1500 page views.

I have changed my plugs, wires, fuel filter and removed my catalytic converter. O2s are next, as is a fuel pressure check. I was just told that the Opti-Spark might be the problem.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292871
Old 08-28-2004, 06:20 PM

Optispark is the scapegoat for all problems lol. My plan is to try to clean the throttle body, that might clear it up. If not, I think 02's might be next.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:56 AM

thanks for that one post i havent got to read it yet bgut i will. i will be changing my fuel filter out today and i hope that fixes it helps it.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:21 PM

Do o2s before the opti spark. They dont always throw a code and the symptoms your are describing are o2 related.

The o2's arent used when WOT or when its in open loop when your first start the car. This is why it doesnt do it cold, or when you step on the gas.

Especially if you just did headers. I dont know if something burns off the inside of the headers and fouls the o2's, but my o2s went right after i installed my headers.

Quick Reply: HELP! Car is starting to hesitate a little bit