LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP! Car is starting to hesitate a little bit

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 02:43 PM

Re: HELP! Car is starting to hesitate a little bit

Sorta like what Toby said..Im with that concept. Ive found a few things wrong that probobly all added up to my hesitations. Like I said, I found out my plug was BADLY fouled..along with the wire for it. I fixed that and it ran abit better (yes, i actually noticed lol). Then..I just changed my fuel filter yesterday (another quick 20 minute fix it thats worth it), and that also made an even slighter fix. The old one was clogged some how and was only a few months old. So even after those, its very possible its multiple things over just one thing. I think its sad we cant pinpoint the problem with diagnostic checks... Im getting frustrated with my Z. I think with slight neglect..your wires/plugs and fuel filter, and some other small things all add up..just like a snowball effect..everything runs insinc..so when somethigns wrong and not fixed..other things get effected. Good luck with this man, dont forget a lot of us are in your same shoes and just keep in mind even with these problems, its a CAMARO Its way better than a mustang even if its not running
(as for your wire hastles..you can do what im gonna do when I get the money, about $100...buy one of the OTV kits for your plug wires. Reroutes it ontop or to the side of the Valve covers instead of the crappy location its at now..just my .02..and like I said, the plugs are EZ...if you can make the wires EZ..theres nothing to change that is that bad )
Old 09-01-2004, 03:31 PM

yea man im with you. its like one thihng will go out and u think it s something else and at the same time theres like 10 other things that are messed up so it all adds up and hard as hell to diagnose the problem. yea i know of the OTV kit you are talking about it mounts on the valve covers and route the wires through there i have seen pics of them but dont know where u can get them. any sites on them? they are 100 bucks? damn lotsa money! yea i hope the plugs and wires arent as bad as everybody claims. theres guys on here that say it took them anywhere from 6-10 hours, while others say 2-3 and the guys with headers takes only like 1-2 hours the most. i still have stock maniioflds but i want to get lts sometime soon so plugs and wires will be ahole lot easier to do. thanks again. i will be doing it soonwhen i get time.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:32 PM

ok guys i have an update. i checked my car for arcing earlier today and theres no arcing whatsoever at any of the plugs. so i kind of determined thewires to be out of the question. since theres no arcing could the wires still be bad? they look ok to me from what i can tell. i know the plugs still could be bad though. i checked on the plugs and wires and it looks like a real pain in the *** to do the wires. the driver side seems ok except for when i looked at the last plug on the drivers side the one closest to the steering wheel. that wire is tucked under the heat shield of the exhaust manifold an dlooks like a bitch to replace. its tucked uner the heat shield. also on the passenger side i think i might be able to get to all the plugs but the wires look like even more of a pain in the ***. they are routed above the a/c compressor and underneath the alternator and then to the wires. how do you reroute these wires through the stock locations? do i have to remove the alternator? it really looks more of a pain in the *** now that i took a real close look at it. where do i get those new mounts that go on the valve covers? how much are they? i think i will be purchasing those now that i look at the wires. they look hella hard to do. also do i have to remove the crossmember to get to the plugs on the passneger side? it looks like i can get to most of them but the one on the front toward the front of the engine bay looks like i have to do it from the top. but i hope thats not the problem now. heres what i did do today though. i hcanged my fuel filter out and it seemed like it helped out quite a bit. i drove it a lil bit and it ran good then it started to hesitate just a tad and then i came home (only drove around the neighborhood) so i let it idle a bit then i took it out for another test drive and it didnt sputter or if it did i hardly felt it. i have to drive back to my apt now which is a small commute but i am working tom and have class and i am going to try to come back to test drive it again to see if it sputters/hesitates anymore. i hope that fuel filter fixed the problem, it seemed like it helped quite a bit but it still hesitated a tad after it warmed up. any more ideas? how much is the coil and how hard is it to replace it? also whree is the Ignition moducle how much is that na dhow hard is it to replace? i will be checking shoebox's site heres soon. well theres the updtate. let me know guys thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by EaC95Z28
How much is the coil and how hard is it to replace it? also whree is the Ignition moducle how much is that na dhow hard is it to replace?
Coil is like 50$ish. Ive had bad luck with aftermarket ones but ive heard people are happy with MSD coils....
The ignition control module is located on the same bracket that holds the coil. Its just above it with one set of wires plugged into it. It has a metal heat sink. About hte size of a matchbox i guess Very easy to get off.