LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help! car won't start again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 08:48 PM

Help! car won't start again!

This is extremely annoying. Here are the symptoms: when I turn the key to the on position, the fuel pump does not prime and when I try to crank, all i hear are the "clicks" of the relays, but no starter.

I have had this problem before that left me stranded at Sheetz and $500 later, after a new ignition switch, it was running fine again. But even after the dealer fixed my switch, the car would intermittantly not start. Then, I found that my upper clutch switch was not screwed in correctly. The problem was fine for a couple months until today. Seems like the same symptoms, but all the switches are touching the pedals. It is not VATS. The security light is not on and I've done the resistor to bypass that last time. The lower clutch switch is bypassed, so its not necessary to press the clutch to start the car, but I've tried both ways and before tried taking out the bypass wire and didn't help.

My car wiring is a mess from the original owner, so anything is possible. I've gone through and cleaned up as much as I can so far.

I also noticed on the brake switch with 2 connectors, I am missing one connection. It is the blue one in the pic off shoebox's site lower brake switch
What is this for, and will it solve my problem?

Please help!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:18 PM

Re: Help! car won't start again!

I removed the instrument cluster to try to get a better view from the top. After taking things apart and moving/looking at wires, I put the cluster back and the dash lights don't show up now either with the switch, but it illuminates with the headlights.

How can I trace the failure?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:06 AM

could it be your starter? sounds like the starter isnt fully engaging but its hard to tell from reading posts, i'd have it checked out at a parts store.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:07 AM

I won't rule it out. I'll take it into the store tomorrow to have it checked out.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 PM

I believe I fixed it. At least for now. I replaced my faulty starter and ignition switch and the fried wiring harness the Pontiac dealership failed to replace when I had it in last time. I'm never taking my car anywhere again. For some odd reason, the reverse lockout is always on now and its not throwing a dtc with datamaster. Any ideas?