LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP! Car won't start or run

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:48 AM

Angry HELP! Car won't start or run

It turns over but won't start. It seems I'm not getting any spark. I have changed out the full opti,coil,Ignition Control Module, altenator, battery. I can tell it's getting fuel. At least it smells like gas real bad when I keep cranking on it. I have pressure at the test port on the manifold. I had a tranny put in it this week. I was having probs with it before though. I have spark coming outta the coil. I had some engine codes but most of them pointed to the opti. I got it started last night and drove it around the block then it started stummbling and died as I was pulling back in the driveway. No SES light was present. I can't figure it out. I was hoping it was the Altenator because it was bad and running low voltage but now it's new also! So.............What do yall think. I have put 2k in this POS this week and I can't spend much more. I also tested the connector that goes to the opti from the computer. It is showing to be good also. ?????????????????????

Last edited by hektyk; 10-17-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:06 AM

Re: HELP! Car won't start or run

Did you loosen any grounds on the car prior to this starting.
I had a similar issue when I installed my 383...fuel but no spark.
Ended up being a bad ground due to painting the engine bay.
Test for a good ground on the accessory post on the passenger fender to make sure it isn't a grounding issue.
These cars can be tricky to diagnose at times.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:20 AM

One thing you should learn about the POS, is that you can pretty much check anything before replacing it. You shouldn't just throw parts at it, or before you know it, you've spent 2k in a week and it still doesn't run.

How did it run when you got it started last night? It is possible that you got a bad opti. I have heard of this happening. So, you're getting spark from the coil, but not at the plugs?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:04 PM

K, I have spark from the coil and then spark is getting to the opti and out the other end to the plugs. I am getting fuel because I took out the spark plug and I could smell fuel really strong on it. It won't crank hardly ever but if I put the pedal to the floor and crank it then it spits sputters and backfires! When it is running though it isn't throwing a code it's just running like **** and missing horribly. I am thinking maybe I have a bad ground or something got pinched in the removal and installation of the Transmission. I dunno.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:44 PM

I doubt it's a ground. I've had transmissions in and out of these cars and never had a problem with any grounds. They aren't really anywhere near where you're working when pulling and installing the transmission. If it isn't wanting to turn over very easily, it sounds like a timing issue and it's possible your opti is on wrong.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:27 AM

How could it be on wrong? There is only one way to put it on isn't there. I have had it off before and put it back on when I built the motor. It does seem like the timing but How would it go wrong? The timing chain?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by hektyk
How could it be on wrong? There is only one way to put it on isn't there. I have had it off before and put it back on when I built the motor. It does seem like the timing but How would it go wrong? The timing chain?
I put mine on wrong the first time I did it. I lined everything up and it seemed to go on but it didn't. It went on well enough to put everything back together. Then, I had issues with it for a while before I figured out it wasn't on right. It started once and ran like ****. Then, after that, I could only get it to fire every once in a while and it never would run. It was really struggling trying to turn the motor over with the timing messed up. When I figured out what was wrong, I pulled it off and reinstalled it. Once it slipped into the right hole, I knew it had gone on right, and now I know what it feels like, it won't ever happen again. I could also see a mark on the opti (not in the hole) where my dowel pin was contacting it. It was extremely close to the hole (the reason it fired up and ran), but then slipped farther away (the reason it wouldn't start and run again). Just something to think about.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 AM

It is possible to get the opti on incorrectly. Lookup shoeboxes site, it shows how you need to do it.

BTW, if you have spark at the plugs, you dont have an issue with no spark. >.>
Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 AM

I'll take a look. It is possible I know. I thought it wasn't getting any fire at first but then I realized it was yesterday afternoon. I bet it's on wrong. I'll pull it back off.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by hektyk
I'll pull it back off.
It sucks, but at least you'll be able to scratch that from the list if that's not the problem. Also, just to make sure, bolt it on w/all the plug wires hooked up, and try and start the car. Leave the water pump, belt, etc. off while doing this (it won't hurt anything). That way, you can make sure everything is right before putting everything back together. Then, let us know if that fixed it or not.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 PM

Now I just have to find a way to get it from where it is to my house so I can work on it. With no money to spare.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:47 PM

nope thats not it. it's lined up right.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Any other thoughts? Injuneer anything you might think it could be?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:47 PM

Alright it is still messed up. I have had it in the shop because it is throwing a code 51. (PROM ERROR) I went ahead and got a new comp and tune from MadZ28 and put it in and it didn't fix it of course, My new water pump and wires and plugs will be installed on Friday. The grounds seem to be good, I have only pulled out one plug and it seems to be ok, it's not fouled out. It runs good for the first 10 minutes or so then if Idleing it will drop down idle and start stumbling then eventually die, upon restarting it will crank and crank until it fires just enough to start then die again. Then it will throw the dtc 51 then eventually won't fire at all. It has been down now for a total of 1 yr or better, I have no back up car I just have to find rides or have my mom pick me up and take me to work and ****. Please I am begging for help here. My water pump has a slight leak, could it be shorting out the opti?

Last edited by hektyk; 02-20-2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added